NPD: MXR Custom Badass ‘78 Distortion

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jakedog, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

This little dude is fun! It’s like Eddy Shaver in a box. So much clarity, and crazy touch sensitivity. Without even touching the volume it cleans almost completely up just by adjusting my attack. Adds a lot of liveliness with single coils.

I’ve been trying out distortions lately and haven’t been able to find one I like. I’m definitely more of an overdrive guy. But this thing is cool. I’ve got a rehearsal tonight so that will be the real test, but so far so good.

I like that it says it’s badass right on the housing. I dig a pedal with confidence. And anybody who’s spent any time in the hot rod world knows that the red ones go faster, right?

CFC41880-20D3-4302-95FF-4D60A8687533.jpeg

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I really like that one. Purportedly a modded DS-1.

I'm the weirdo who loves the stock DS-1 and prefer it actually.

But the Badass D is a great pedal.

3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I believe it's supposed to be the same as the Keeley-modded DS-1.

Jakedog, northernguitar and MilwMark like this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Assuming there is good range/sweep in the 3 controls?
    Also can you ( still) run it on battery if you like? ( when you just wanna grab a pedal and go!)

- may have to get one as I have fuzzes I don't quite get along with ( too loud for me!), but would like some more real distortion than my fave OD pedals
    Thanks!

Jakedog likes this.
  5. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I didn’t pull the back off, but I assume it would run off a battery. And yes, the controls have a good sweep. I don’t k ow what the crunch switch does, but I know I like it “on”. It just seems to make it more… badass.

You can see how low I have the output set, it’s already above unity when I kick it on. So loads of headroom.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  6. Chiogtr4x

I just looked on Sweetwater, yes on battery- good demo there too ( I remember this from when this one first came out, forgot how
    good/useful this pedal sounds)

* you HAD to post this!

7. Chiogtr4x

Just my own update,

I got the Badass '78 from Sweetwater Friday evening, and took it to our band's regular Sunday AM Cafe gig ( outside) as we just jam blues, Dead, R&R, and we aren't that loud, and we are a melodic/tight trio.

- good place to try both 'new' (.old) songs out and try out gear.

All I've ever wanted ( forever!) was just a complimentary distortion ( or fuzz, or other OD) to pair up with either my Blues Driver or another ( similar OD) that is always ON ( cleanish combo amps) that would provide me the right-sounding distortion ( with good sustain ), but w/o a huge volume jump when kicked ON, as we just need to keep volume in check.
    I THINK I may have found what I was looking for with this MXR!
    ( but I've been down this road forever), but I liked what I heard, and did not have to futz a lot to get what I wanted
    - just a 'pretty' maybe fusion-y distortion for some lead breaks, where I want those notes to sustain ( play less notes, let guitar sing a bit) - this does that with a great sweep on Tone control, plenty of distortion, and a Volume control I can work with ( not too loud even at low settings)
    So, a cautious, "Yay!"
    20210930_124232.jpg

I just don't ever want to have more than 2 dirt pedals on my board and have gone through a lot of perfectly good pedals ( to stack with Blues Driver) that may be finer for a louder player.

Examples I've tried:
    Tube.Screamer types, Rat clones, FF/Big Muff clones, and a DOD Gunslinger.
    All very good, but either just not the right sound in my head, or just not controllable in my 'little gig' life...

Tele-friend and Jakedog like this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Why oh why do I need more that 100 pedals can anyone explain this to me???

So does the 78 have flat boosted or cut bass?
    I need a little preventive moderate bass cut to prevent boom and don’t need any mid boost.
    Bass players and drummers got the bottom thanks.
    Been tempted by these and would buy one if it sat used at my local GC for their typical cheap price but not worth the hassle to order when I got too damn much dirt already.
    So damn cheap how can it be what I need???

Jakedog likes this.
  9. DLReed

DLReed Tele-Meister

Oh man - I've had, and sold, this pedal two times! I regretted selling it equally on both occasions. This could lead to me purchasing it for a third, and potentially final, time.
    It really does sound great and the crunch button is pretty cool. Is the blue light blindingly bright?

Chiogtr4x and Jakedog like this.
  10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Ok, I just ordered one.
    This may be the magic pedal that I actually use.
    (The Eddy Shaver reference got me)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    Chiogtr4x and Jakedog like this.
  11. Chiogtr4x

The blue light is blinding, will light up a black hole, but only if you look at it!

( actually I just got my '78, used it on a few songs yesterday, w/o the Crunch button as things sounded good)

DLReed and Jakedog like this.
  12. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Having played most DS-1 mods over many years (including the Badass 78), my very subjective opinion is that most of these mods take the “D” out of the DS-1, they tame the beast to the extent that it is no longer a beast. Including the Keeley mod, on which the MXR is based. In other words, the stock DS-1 is a self-sufficient, hard working high school drop-out, jeans and t-shirt; the Badass 78 is a college graduate working on a Ph.D. degree in distortion, three-piece suit.

The only mods I’ve found that retain the basic character of the DS-1 are MHP’s Outlaw mod and Fromel’s Supreme mod.

Just my opinion. Not intended to rain on anyone’s NPD.

BTW, stock DS-1 ain’t bad either.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    MilwMark likes this.
  13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My unscientific observation is that volume cures most ills.

More and more (unless a guy just has weird taste or blown ears) I find that at typical band volumes (not that loud these days), most gear just plain sounds good.

Things don't need mods or special tubes or speaker swaps or magical pickups. Live and in a mix things tend to sound like clean electric guitar, overdriven electric guitar or distorted electric guitar. And to sound good.

I think mods are driven by quiet listening and playing in isolation. Nothing wrong with that. Though because I'm even weirder than I let on, I actually prefer stock unmodded stuff at home in isolation too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.