NPD: Menatone Red Snapper

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
This thing sounds great. I had heard the demo's and had not heard anything else sound quite like it. Dirt with a nice bite/edge but without losing the low end completely - there is this thickness to it without being flubby - its quite a magical sound. How did he do that with so few parts!!!??? I love old school builds.

I am still working at dialing it in with the tele (in avatar) but man, what a great sounding pedal. I had heard of this pedal since the 90s but never ran across one to try out and just didn't give it much thought. So glad I finally decided to get one - never too late, but wish I had had this a long time ago. To be honest, I probably would not have appreciated it nearly as much back then, knowing what I have learned since about pedals, amps, etc., especially in the last 5 years.

IMG_0150.jpeg

IMG_0151.jpeg

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
This thing sounds great. I had heard the demo's and had not heard anything else sound quite like it. Dirt with a nice bite/edge but without losing the low end completely - there is this thickness to it without being flubby - its quite a magical sound. How did he do that with so few parts!!!??? I love old school builds.

I am still working at dialing it in with the tele (in avatar) but man, what a great sounding pedal. I had heard of this pedal since the 90s but never ran across one to try out and just didn't give it much thought. So glad I finally decided to get one - never too late, but wish I had had this a long time ago. To be honest, I probably would not have appreciated it nearly as much back then, knowing what I have learned since about pedals, amps, etc., especially in the last 5 years.

View attachment 939133

View attachment 939132
I just watched an old Gearmanndude of your pedal ( he was playing an SG) and the Red Snapper sounds ferocious in a good way and Crunchy!
Nice bite w/o losing low end. Great Rock, R&R sound

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I have the four knob version of the Red Snapper. It's in that small class of low gain transparent ODs that I actually like. Along with Timmy, and Emerson EM Drive. No color, just dirt.

Kingpin

Friend of Leo's
The Snapper excels in a band situation. Fat sounding and has a bite that cuts through without ever being shrill.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Menatone is one of the OG boutique pedal builders that everybody seems to have forgotten about. Killer pedals!
I think I joined TGP before joining here ( sorry! ) and this pedal was (is) a fave back in the early 2000's, and also in the guitar mag reviews back in the '90's. Never tried one, but just remember that...
The demos I Googled last night, it sounds great! Seems like a good punk/ hard Rock & Roll pedal - attitude!

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
Menatone is one of the OG boutique pedal builders that everybody seems to have forgotten about. Killer pedals!

I learned of him in the late 90s but he didn't have the kinda fame that Fulltone came into or some of the more recent boutique builders achieved. I need to try some of the others, as good and unique as the Red Snapper is.

The demos I Googled last night, it sounds great! Seems like a good punk/ hard Rock & Roll pedal - attitude!

Its just good old fashioned dirt, with an edge that can be tweaked just right. Won't do high gain, but blues to rock are on the menu.

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
I have the four knob version of the Red Snapper. It's in that small class of low gain transparent ODs that I actually like. Along with Timmy, and Emerson EM Drive. No color, just dirt.

I own a Timmy and I'm perfectly happy with it. Would a Red Snapper be redundant?