1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NPD: KOT

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Luke1026, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've always kind of wanted one. I'd considered other boost/OD or OD/dist combo pedals. There something appealing about having an all in one two channel drive pedal. The JHS Double Barrel, and the Keeyley D&M Drive were on my list.

Exactly. I just got a used J. Rockett HRM not expecting to be impressed by it, but it's on my board now. I love it. A little Marshall-esque, but it's got its own unique midrange thing going on.

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

For us cheapskates...

calinecp70.JPG

NorthenLights likes this.
  3. Luke1026

Luke1026 Tele-Meister

I think what happens a lot is people hear other players with different gear getting great tones and they say, "I've got to get me one of those!" Then after they buy the gear they're somewhat disappointed because they can't seem to get the same great tones. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

But sometimes we end up with something that just happens to sound really good with our gear and that makes the chase worthwhile - at least for the time being : )

Phrygian77 likes this.
  4. Luke1026

Luke1026 Tele-Meister

Funny you should post that. I just watched a comparison earlier this evening between an MXR Timmy, Vemuram Jan Ray, and a Caline Blue Sky. The Blue Sky sounded quite good and even got close in sound to the other two. The presenters were surprised!

5. Luke1026

Luke1026 Tele-Meister

Double post.

6. cwhuntersr

cwhuntersr TDPRI Member

My KOT sat on my pedalboard for a long time before I found what I was looking for which turned out to be HB PUs. Don't get me wrong, it had great tones when I used an eq in front of it with my Tele (64 PUs) and Strat (Texas specials), but I didn't get the sounds I was looking for without adding an eq in front of it. Only when I ran my SD JB/Jazz through the KOT I get the perfect amount of clean and hint of breakup that I was looking for with the volume set ~7/8 and get into a light OD all the way up. Honestly I thought the Texas specials would have worked similarly with the added gain, but it didn't work out that way

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Caline has recently introduced a line of dual pedals, including one that has a TS-9 and Timmy clone.

8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I have a few analogman stomps. I tried the pot and could not bond. His stuff is great though. I guess I should have given it more time. I’m sure you will.

9. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Congrats on your new KoT.

I am currently a year and change away from mine, based on the dates he posts and the current speed of things. I suspect my wait will be 4 years by the time I get the notice. I signed up mid 2018.

I plan on getting mine but really not sure if I will end up keeping it or not. I watched a comparison by TPS that looked for alternatives and they concluded that what there is just something about the KoT that even its clones don't quite match. Splitting hairs at some point, but there indeed seems to be something special about it. For me it will largely be "does it do something better than what I currently have" which includes a Bluesbreaker style pedal.

I do hope he does not run out of unicorn parts before then because I'd really like to know for myself...

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

You know, I wasn’t blown away by it either. (Edit: Just read your update, glad you’re liking it better now). It sounded good, but to me it sounds like a pedal, like it didn’t combine with the sound of my amp. Unnatural, I guess I’d say.

It definitely has a unique sound. Maybe just not the sound I was looking for.

11. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have the POT. It's like the higher gain side of the KOT. I would not say it has a strong mid hump. Not like a tube screamer would.

It's not really a pedal for lower volume house playing. It needs some volume for it to be it's best. Analog Mike will tell you that.

It's good that you found some changes via the trim pot.

12. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

So not quite the plug it in as it comes out of the box magic of say the Greer Lightspeed or the Wampler Paisley Drive then? I remember the say I got my Paisley drive and the settings as it came out of the box are exactly what I use today...and it was brand new. I haven't even moved the toggles yet. The Greer was the same way. Except I did fiddle with the knobs on that one. Very nice little overdrive in my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  13. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

To those reading this thread who are ahead of me on the KOT waitlist, please read the original post and not his update below it. Then when your name comes up, don't bother buying the pedal.

I had a KOT and liked it a lot. Then I got in a loud band where I could turn up my amp enough that all I needed was a boost in front of it. So I traded the KOT for a beautiful hand-painted Fuzz Factory, and immediately missed the KOT (though I will never part with the Fuzz Factory, so I don't really regret anything). I like a KOT especially as a not-quite-clean boost. Now I have a Prince of Tone, which is great, and I'm 25 months into waiting for another KOT. No rush, I guess, but I'll be glad to have one again when it's my turn.

14. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

No unicorn parts to speak of. The clipping diodes are a little bit different, but even if the exact p/n ones can't be sourced, an x-ref to something else with the same forward voltage will be available.

15. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I signed up for one even though it would be the most I've ever spent on a pedal. I figure if I don't like it, I can sell it to someone waiting in line and make my money back...or more.

16. Luke1026

Luke1026 Tele-Meister

I tried it last night with my MJT VTS HH (S-style body, T-style set neck) and the tones I was able to get with the Onamac humbuckers were really good. I think what I'm finding with the KOT (since I became aware of the internal trim-pots) is that you can dial in the kind of sweet & dirty sounds that you personally like, giving the impression the pedal is capable of delivering tones that fit your unique tastes. And this is especially true with humbuckers.

I haven't quite discovered the same experience with my Strats - yet. It seems they require more experimenting with the various tonal options the KOT provides in order to discover what settings that sound best to me.

It's interesting that my G&L ASAT Classic Semi-Hollow pretty much sounded great right away. I didn't have to spend a lot of time trying to dial it in.

The main theme that's beginning to emerge from my experience so far with the KOT is that different types of pickups affect the tones you get quite differently. So you have to find the right settings that work best for your P'ups and your ears. But when you do - the tones are really good!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  17. Luke1026

Luke1026 Tele-Meister

Here's a pic of what the color scheme looks like,
    KOT Front - 1.jpg

blues likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.