NPD Kinda settling in my dirt...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 4pickupguy, Mar 17, 2018.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Well, I have been "auditioning" pedal for my high gain slot that my Rat2 currently occupies. I am a big Rat fan (for decades now) but I am not paying stupid money for an old one and the Rat2 does not have the same drive curve as either of my old ones in the 90's. I am not bonding with anything but the Rat in that slot. The Rat is a very versatile OD/Dist/Fuzzish pedal but the Rat2 only gets 'close' in the higher gain settings while the lower gain settings, ain't nothing close. Being the tightwad I am, I found a used Chicago Stompworks Mr. Vermin for $50 bucks. Its supposed to be like the 80's Rats. We'll see.. Anybody got one?
    IMG_2950.JPG

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  2. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Got a 1989 RAT2 that I like but one of my newer pedals I'm even liking more is TC Electronics Dark Matter Distortion.

The name makes you think it's a metal pedal but it is not, just a great general Rock pedal. Right now I'm preferring the DM over the RAT2.

Haven't tried the Vermin yet, how is it? Platefire

elmoscafeo likes this.
  3. elmoscafeo

elmoscafeo Tele-Afflicted

I'm a big fan of the Dark Matter. I also bought the MOJOMOJO and wasn't disappointed either. I've seen the Mister Vermin advertised locally but honestly never gave it a second thought. Please let us know how it compares to RAT.

4pickupguy likes this.
  4. hs0504

hs0504 TDPRI Member

I'm a big Rat fan. I have several late 80ties, early 90ties rats and I had one on my board for years. Last year I stumbled upon a Chicago stompbox dual pedal with a 808 clone (A) and the mr Vermin (B). I love this pedal. The Vermin sounds exactly like my old Rats and the 808 clone is excellent too. So I have it on my board now for several months. It saves weight and space and I can get all the overdrive I want out of this pedal.
    I'm about to order a spare one.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    4pickupguy likes this.
  5. 4pickupguy

Thats exactly what I was hoping. Why on earth ProCo decided THEY could no longer get LM308s when everyone and their dog apparently still can is a mystery. I don't even know if it IS a chip making the difference and don't care at this point, I just want something like an 80s Rat like I had. I performed a simple cap mod to my Rat2 and it helped tighten up the low end and made it slightly punchier like an old one (something about slowing the op amps slew rate) but it has always been too touchy on the drive level, and the Rat2s now have a drive sweet spot that never existed on an old one. The whole thing was a sweet spot. They are quite a bit raspier now too. Yes, of course it's a giggable pedal and maybe I'm sawing BBs over the raspy thing, but the versatility ain't there anymore and that's a non-starter. That sounds like a great pedal you scored. My current rig will not abide a TS but when I was playing Supers and Princetons i the 90s, I had a TS ahead of two Rats, one set for power chord crunch and the other for the occasional high gain lead. The TS (set to just hair) into the crunch Rat makes for a great mid gain lead tone. Thats a great combo for sure! Thanks for the reply!!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  6. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I just ordered one but I have 4 Chicago Stomp Works pedals and they are great. I was using their Red Llama but I need more dirt so I hope it works.

4pickupguy likes this.
  7. 4pickupguy

Dont you hate it when you get a pedal and have to wait awhile before you can hear it.. IMG_1006.JPG

BB and RetroTeleRod like this.
  8. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

When I play through a Rat I sound like everyone else playing through a Rat, so I long ago got rid of mine. I would be interested to hear how some of these Rat-like pedals stack up.

9. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Just get your IC socketed and throw a vintage LM308n in there.

Presto! It's a vintage spec RAT!

I have 3 vintage RATs, a FAT RAT with LM308n and two modern RATs with the slanty face that are modded with socket and LM308n

I currently gig a Chinese RAT 2 with the LM308n.

All RATs sound different. No two sound the same. You will always have knobs at different spots in order to get similar sounds out of your RATs. The vintage op amp is very important though in order to get the clipping to behave the same. The LM308n is smoother and saggier.

I would just mod the Chinese RAT2 and see what you think.

MilwMark likes this.
  10. 4pickupguy

Sadly, I sound like ME playing through a Rat...
    I will let you about how it stacks up shortly. I had a very close relationship with my Rats... which I, I wont elaborate on sufice it to say, I will know if it is ‘right’.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  11. 4pickupguy

Well, there it is. The smoothness and tight thump of my old fave! Its there and it just loves the single coils like always. Once you play them back to back it's really apparent. Yes, the Rat 2 is raspy and when followed by the smooth, thump attack of the Mr. Vermin, but it's pretty shocking how harsh the Rat2 is by comparison. Some people might actually prefer the raspiness of the Rat2 but I just love special thing the 308 (ok, maybe its the chip after all) has. The Rat2 has the character but not the magic. I could gig with both, but there is a more than subtle difference.
    My only observation, the low gain end of the Mr. Vermin is Very touchy to dial in just like the Rat2, but, the low gain sounds SO much better.
    IMG_2968.JPG

kevsonic and RetroTeleRod like this.
  12. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

My good buddy had a rat back in the 80's. He's a great player, but every tone out of his rat sounded like a jar of angry bees with clogged nasal passages. That memory has kept me from ever trying a rat. I guess I'll have to nab one (if I ever find one under $30 in a pawn shop, that is!) someday.

13. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Congrats on the new pedal. Gotta respect a Rat even when its a brother from another mother...

4pickupguy likes this.
  14. 4pickupguy

Everyone is different about dirt. Thankfully!

I have heard this ‘jar of bees’ thing cited about the BD-2 and Rats and others but to me (thats a qualifying ‘to me’) they are both smooth, articulate (one dynamically, the other tonally) and both on my board. The OCD was that ‘jar of bees’ for me, but I know there plenty of folks getting great sounds out of them! No OD is for everyone. I have gone on a long quest with dirt and I have a shelf full of great pedals to show for it. I have come full circle with the Rat. It just belongs on my board. With my quest at an end for the foreseeable future, I have the following progression of clean to dirt on my board:

Ethos OD Preamp
    Clean channel-
    • Alone for clean
    •Add BD-2 for ‘hair or grit’ (think Little wing)
    •Add Rat for high gain lead

Ethos OD Preamp
    Dirty channel-
    • Alone for midgain (clean/crunch/Dumbly lead)
    • Add BD-2 for very articulate mid/high gain
    • Add Rat for destructor beast fuzz (think Fuzz Face level of gain)

If I cant find what I need with this amount of dirt then I should hang it up. I am set for a while

BB likes this.
  15. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

The "can of bees" thing might have more to do with amp EQ. If you set it super bright for strat quack or shimmery mod or delay sounds, some drive pedals might not work well.

Congrats on the Mr Vermin. I've got the Chicago Stompworks Blues Breaker v1 and Red Llama. Love the build quality and vintage tones.

4pickupguy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.