NPD: Keeley Compressor +

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by burntfrijoles, Jul 4, 2020.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Last Monday I posed the question about the utility of a compressor. After reading the comments I decided to get one and chose the Keeley.
    I spent a good bit of time with it yesterday and I am more than pleased. I mostly played with it my amp set to clean. (Special Edition PRRI with 12” Celestion)
    I’ll just sum it up by saying in it seems to add a little extra to my tone and how the notes felt under my fingers. It also provides a nice boost when you set it to do so. The tone control provides subtle but useful EQ tweaks.
    I was surprised that it’s relatively quiet by compressor standards.
    This pedal is definitely a keeper. I always wait a few days before I add Velcro to a pedal to make certain I’m satisfied. The Velcro was added this morning!!

2. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

have a good time.its a good one

Sean Spears and burntfrijoles like this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Gotta be the best compressor for the price. Enjoy and know that there is a lot to learn from it.

burntfrijoles likes this.
  4. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Happy New Compressor Day.

In my moments of weakness, when I think about getting a compressor, the Keeley 4-knob is the one that calls to me....

Sean Spears likes this.
  5. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

I really like the Keeley. Good choice! Happy NPD!

Sean Spears likes this.
  6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Congrats! Compressors are even more personal than ODs. Glad you found one that suits your needs!!

Sean Spears likes this.
  7. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Nice! Congratulations.

Sean Spears likes this.
  8. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats! I just got one last week as well. I have always disliked compressors. I don't like the idea of reducing the dynamic range of the guitar/amp. And they've all made the guitar sound a bit "plastic" to me (I guess that means fake and solid, as opposed to natural and organic).

When I started messing around with mine, I noticed that a compressor -- even at minimal settings -- does indeed produce a guitar tone that sounds less natural than without a compressor. And it does what it says it's going to do: move the edges of the sound more toward the middle, thus reducing the dynamic range while also thickening up the middle.

I have found, however, that the Keeley compressor + is a great sounding compressor and, as pointed out above, also very quiet (the real noisy bit comes in with the sustainer). And I understand now that I had been thinking about compressors the wrong way.

Of course they do what I described above, but I've come to think of them a bit like a clean OD. They thicken up the midrange (or at least give the impression of doing so) and offer a little punch. This gives the clean tone a richness that it does not otherwise have, and it brings the guitar "up" in the mix. And it's magnificent for gigging. The subtle loss of dynamics that is clearer at home when sitting right in front of the amp is not at all noticeable in a band mix. But what is noticeable is _great_ live tone. The amp just comes alive.

I'm a big fan of the Keeley compressor +!

Sean Spears likes this.
  9. Sean Spears

Sean Spears TDPRI Member Vendor Member

Thank you for the kind words and supporting us. I love reading happy customer posts!

@4pickupguy Your're 100% Right!! Pedals in general are extremely personal to most people. With so many to choose from these days it can be stimulation overload just searching for a low/med gain OD pedal. :lol:

burntfrijoles and 4pickupguy like this.
  10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Keep the amp clean like you're doing.. that is a noisy AF compressor into a dirty amp.

It has a very sweet EQ though.

11. teleswisster

teleswisster Tele-Meister

If you keep your comp at the front of the chain it shouldn’t be noisy. Move it to the end and it accentuates the hum from everything in front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I just sold my xotic sp. Good pedal I think, but just not really into the squish. Maybe having a small amp (princeton) has something to do with it.

I figure I should try another one maybe. So a Keeley heh?

Would this get closer to "under the bridge" intro territory? It's a compressed sound, but not really squishy, more open.

Sean Spears likes this.
  13. Sean Spears

Sean Spears TDPRI Member Vendor Member

I think it will get close to that for sure. Sustain around 9oclock, blend around 10-11oclock, tone to taste the level set to unity or slight bump. Keeping the blend and sustain lower will help keep it from being so clamped down.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  14. Jonloder

Jonloder TDPRI Member

I watched a Keely compressor review on YouTube yesterday. I'm impressed.

Sean Spears likes this.
  15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I think that is a fair summary. I would add to it to say it adds some sparkle and definition. In fact, it made me reassess my need to upgrade my amp.

It’s a fine pedal. It’s my second Keeley. I have a Dyno My Roto but I’m still trying to find the sweet spot on the flanger and rotary.

Sean Spears and theprofessor like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.