NPD: Joyo Zip Amp

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Hi all; I got an urge to try the Joyo Zip Amp after 1) admiring its burnt orange anodized exterior; 2) watching a few YT demos and 3) wondering how it would work as a very simple tone shaper for bass and guitar for home DI recording and driving a power amp and bass cab with the band.

(I am on a long-running enthusiastic search to find simple tone shapers driving rack power amps for my bass rig).

The Zip Amp doesn’t get weird or wild enough to produce a truly out-there bad sound. It doesn’t seem as mid-humped as a Tube Screamer or a Boss SD-1. Its gain range goes from pretty clean to medium gain crunch, in a gradual, linear fashion. The two-band EQ has some range but stays fairly polite. Seems pretty “safe.” At first I was pleased that it had enough output to “work” as a backup bass preamp driving my power amp, producing a useable—though not ideal, and not really tweakable enough—fingerstyle bass tone.

On the plus side, it puts out a strong mid-forward honk with a P-bass and flats, sitting in the mix above the kick and below the guitar, so that’s good. But the limited EQ wouldn’t quite allow me to get the upper mids and lowest lows under control for maximum articulation. Unaccompanied, it was kind of an ugly foghorn of a bass sound. But I could get through a set with it, so technically it will work as a backup.

With guitar, it seems pretty cool. I can get in my general comfort zone pretty easily.

It gets a lot cooler—to my ear—with a compressor pedal in front of it though. I spent some time goofing with that arrangement last night:
C4D73F37-B191-4D6E-8289-E7B7DE6958D8.jpeg

Then I opened up the BandLab app and recorded this little snippet, using the pictured settings for both the bass and guitar track (with a little extra compression. Reverb, delay added in BandLab):

Bass was a Squier Affinity P with D’Addario chrome flatwound strings. Guitar was a Squier Bullet Special, one HB/one knob, with D’Addario .011-.049. I sequenced the drum loop in BandLab using the so-called “Chill Wave” Kit.

Bonus bling points: the ends of the Zip Amp light up too!

7B7351D8-1A3B-42C0-8148-69AE3B3BFE66.jpeg

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
More guitar and bass tone goof-off with the Ibanez CP-5 compressor feeding the Joyo Zip Amp. Same drum loop, different bassline and guitar parts.

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
I am really enjoying the Zip Amp, a real surprise as I did not really know what I was getting and the youtube videos really did not show it doing what I think it does best. The interactions of it with compressor/tubescreamer/clean boost in front of it can be really fun. When you find the preset compression threshold you can hit it with just the slightest push to get a really nice subtle effect as a dynamic interaction to make it feel very saggy. If that is a word, that is the word I would use. I liked it so much, I sent a small pedalboard to my brother in law with the Tauren (clean boost), TaiChi (Dumble-ish drive) and the Zip amp. He has also been enjoying the interaction oof those three in particular. Stick a RAT or Fulldrive type pedal in there, and it gets even more fun. It is just a great, interactive pedal.