NPD Joyo AC Tone

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by chris m., Feb 21, 2020.

1. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

9AB9EF06-DF3F-4A84-AEE5-B22E584FC41C.jpeg Got this today. Tried using it as direct into Scarlett Focusrite into DAW for when I can’t mike an amp. It definitely sounds better than plugging a guitar straight into the Scarlett, but not as good as I had hoped. Miking an amp the old fashioned way sounds better. But for the price I can use it and in a pinch could also go direct to PA if my amp dies.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  2. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Perhaps you need a cab sim pedal between the Joyo and the Scarlet. I tried mine direct to PA and it didn't sound very good. When I added a cab sim DI, it was perfect.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  3. chris m.

Got one you’d recommend? I thought these were designed to straight to PA, but you may be right.

4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Everything sounds better with a D.I. I suspect, though have no proof of such, that either tone faeries or impedance matching transformers are responsible.

Down in the cheap seats is the Behringer Ultra-G D.I. It can use instrument or speaker level as an input and features switchable cab emulation. It's an active type, so requires either phantom power or a PP3 9V battery. The onboard cab sim is quite good through a P.A. and doesn't conflict with the Joyo at all. For recording, you may prefer to use an impulse response.

D.I. boxen are a useful addition to your tool kit. The Joyo may well sound OK with a short cable run, but help it out with some loads via a D.I. and it can drive damn near everything. Based on the American Sound model.

5. tdoty

tdoty Tele-Meister

Some of the VST cab sims sound pretty darn good too.

6. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I bought this digitech rather than some of more expensive units on the market , with a no questions asked return policy , tried it liked it keep it , It goes good. Lots of options money well spent.
    https://www.digitech.com/other/CabD..._CabDryVR_color=Yellow-GLOBAL-Current#start=1

7. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

This one has the AC tone with a built in cab simulator. I believe they’re discontinued but you can still find them used on eBay, Reverb, CL, etc.

We don’t use amps at our church so I picked up the Tech 21 Blonde (Fender BF to Tweed tones). I run it after the drive pedals on my board and straight into the PA. Does it sound as good as a miked amp? No, but it’s the best solution I’ve found so far and our worship leader and sound man think it’s sounds really good in the mix.

upload_2020-2-22_5-37-3.png

Treehouse likes this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I only have the Joyo American Sound, but from people I've seen that have all three including the British/Marshall, have said the American Sound is the best of the bunch. I don't think you need a cab sim for a cab sim. Keep messing with the knobs as these pedals have a huge range of capable tones.

Treehouse likes this.
  9. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I picked up a joyo DI with a cab sim and these amp pedals came to life. Worked well with the American, British, and ACTone.

Treehouse likes this.
  10. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

I use my American Sound with a H&K Red Box after and then into P.A, i like it more than by itself, with a better d.i. will be even better probably..

11. chris m.

I knew the Joyo pedals are missing the speaker button that the Tech 21 models have, but I thought the voice knob was the equivalent. Oh well, a cab sim Vsti or hardware solution may be in my future...

12. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

1. The Joyo cab sim is always on. (The Tech 21 button is for switching it on or off.)

2. The voice knob is equivalent to the Tech 21 character knob.

ackypoo likes this.
  13. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

I think it sounds great direct with a clean tone. And doo doo with drive pedals.

But man it shines with my 5F2a-ish China special!

14. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

New version only, not the older...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.