NPD: J. Rockett Audio Designs Broverdrive

Recalcitrant

Tele-Meister
I was searching this week for a Tube Screamer that might sound a little, I don’t know, less obviously like a Tube Screamer. I found a Shawn Tubbs youtube demo of the J. Rockett Broverdrive. If any pedal can make a usable sound, Shawn finds it.

Broverdrive… With a market-suicide name like that, one suspects there just could be legend-making mojo afoot. Shawn’s demo evinced The Bro’ had the TS “transparency,” and with maybe a little more presence and high-end grit to boot. And, well, I’m a Rockett fanboi, anyhow, so out came the plastic.

After an hour of play today, I’m putting this pedal in my “vintage” chain. Broverdrive is definitely an “American”-voiced pedal. With the “Brogaine” on a low setting, a very convincing Keef >Tele >Tweed Twin tone pops from the speakers. Turning the knob to about 10 o’clock, you get Elliot Easton on “I Guess You’re Just What I Needed.” Going a to 12:00 gets some real mean John Fogerty soloing, with harmonics at the waggle of a finger. Going on 3:00, it’s maybe a bit too much.

This is definitely the most retro-sounding J. Rockett overdrive I’ve heard. (Their .45 Caliber, imo, is more a Plexi-in-a-box. And Rockett’s others—The Dude, The Archer, The Blue Note-- all excel at what I think of as the L.A. Smoothie sound.) One widely-available, more East-of-the-Mississippi-category pedal the Broverdrive reminds me of is Boss OD-3. In short, it’s rather more Nashville-ey, if you will. This early in the game, there's no grounds for me to say much more, but it’s definitely a good, old-school-sounding OD.

Shawn Tubbs Broverdrive Demo

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
hawn’s demo evinced The Bro’ had the TS “transparency,” and with maybe a little more presence and high-end grit to boot.

I don't know that a TS has transparency - its a tad honkey if you ask me, but one mans transparency is another mans honk - who am I to argue.

Broverdrive… With a market-suicide name like that, one suspects there just could be legend-making mojo afoot.

Maybe they took a clue from Tripps in the naming department. The name does raise a brow, bro....

One widely-available, more East-of-the-Mississippi-category pedal the Broverdrive reminds me of is Boss OD-3. In short, it’s rather more Nashville-ey, if you will. This early in the game, there's no grounds for me to say much more, but it’s definitely a good, old-school-sounding OD.

I like this kinda sound - have both the OD-3 and a ODR-1 and prefer the latter. I'd use the OD-3 for more of a crunch if I am using it.

Tubbs does do a nice demo - he makes bad pedals sound good. Would this demo be a Rockett and Tubbs episode?

PS. Happy NPD!

Last edited:

Recalcitrant

Tele-Meister
I don't know that a TS has transparency - its a tad honkey if you ask me, but one mans transparency is another mans honk - who am I to argue.
I think of TS as a sort of aural Chia Pet— the thing itself (the dry tone)—accoutered by some amount harmonic crazing.

Tubbs moves gear alright. But the here’s-another-one-going-back-on-ebay king has to be Pete Thorn.😄

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
I’ve owned the Blue Note, .45 Caliber, and The Dude. They all sounded and felt like a TS with slightly different levels of gain. I’m sure they make some fine pedals, but after experiencing those three and how similar they were I’m done.

Last edited: