NPD: Fulltone ‘70 Fuzz & Wilson Effects Haze

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RustleFuzz, Aug 18, 2018.

1. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

I have lots of Fuzz type pedals (Big Muffs, Tone Benders, Tone Machines, Super Fuzz)...and realized I have NEVER owned a Fuzz Face type pedal.

Also I love Phasors (have Phase 90, Whirlwind Orangebox, Moorer Orange 90, Small Stone)...but have never owned a Univibe.

Have been listening to Jimi and early Gilmour lately...and figured I would scratch that itch. Listened to a bunch of YouTube demos and read way too many reviews of all sorts of Fuzz Face and Univibe type pedals...the 70 and the Haze is where I landed.

I wanted a Fuzz that would work w Tele and Les Paul, and since I have been using a DRRI w Cannabis Rex to gig with, went with the 70 due to the Mids control. It was down to this or the Dunlop Blue Mini, and the price was close enough I felt the Fulltone was worth the slight difference. Digging it, sounds full (not like 1000 bees in a can) and does well with chords...really better and more versatile than I expected.

When looking for a Univibe style pedal, came down to the Wilson Haze or the Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe. I thought both of these had really great sound and were fairly priced. Met Kevin Wilson at Summer NAMM, he was super and great to speak with...and was more than happy to let me demo his stable of pedals. So...went with the Haze and it sounds awesome!!!

I seem to like the sound of the Vibe BEFORE the Fuzz (I generally put Phasors before dirt too), still experimenting with this. Image1534614308.340031.jpg

bigben55 likes this.
  2. karpis

karpis Tele-Holic

Fuzz faces are awesome when you get hold of your guitar volume knob - overdrive/distortion/fuzz at your knob;)

RustleFuzz likes this.
  3. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I have a Haze and love it. I much prefer it before any dirt pedal. I love it into my Wilson Fuzz(Tone Bender type). I have a Wilson 5 Knob Fuzz too(FF type germanium) but haven't tried them together. Wilson Effects are killer. Also own a Sparkling Blue and 2 Rippah Q wahs. I will say this, the guitar >Rippah Q>5 Knob>amp is THE best wah/fuzz combo I've played.

RustleFuzz likes this.
  4. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

The mid control on the '70 is a great feature. IIRC, there's also a bias trim-pot inside.

RustleFuzz likes this.
  5. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

Haven’t fooled with the internal trim pot yet. But man, the Mids knob is awesome...it the not-so-secret weapon of the ‘70!

6. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I’ve been using a big box Fulltone ‘70 for years. It doesn’t seem to have a lot of cachet or glamour on Internet forums but I don’t care-it’s great and very consistent for me. It reacts differently with various amps but sounds good with all of them. I also like putting the vibe before the fuzz.

RustleFuzz likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.