1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NPD-Fulldrive 2 (current version)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by backalleyblues, Feb 24, 2015.

1. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

It's been a bit since I posted here, thought maybe a NPD thread would be a good way to dive back in...

So I sold one of my recording mics on CL... I usually leave open the option of a trade of some sort (ya never know!) this time I was offered a choice of pedals, an Epi Les Paul, or cash... I took the cash and this FullDrive 2 (current version)... I'm not a big Fulltone fan, but I figured, hey worst case I flip this pedal, they are pretty popular...

So I get it home, plug it up with my telly and Guild into my little Carvin Vintage 16-dang, this pedal is actually pretty nice! Start playing with the knobs and switches, and I'm definitely getting some nice tweedy tones out of this! Granted, this is bedroom volume, so I can't perfectly judge it... but I think this one has a chance of sticking around. I especially liked how it compressed-moreso than my 808RI (which I love!). I also seem to like the MOSFET clipping and flat mids setting the best, at least with the Carvin-I'm sure I'll have to set it differently with my Super Reverb., which has a more scooped-mids tone to it, like all BF Fenders...

I'll post an update after I take it for a spin at a local jam on Thursday... that should give me a really good idea whether this pedal will stick around...

Franc Robert

2. ambar_de_kotu

ambar_de_kotu Tele-Meister

Congrats! The Fulldrive is a great pedal.

3. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Alrighty, after a jam and a full gig, here's what I have to say-

NICE!!! :D

Ran flat mids/MOSFET, with gain and boost about 9 o'clock, tone at noon, and gain just above unity-very thick, amp-like tone to be had with this pedal, and it did clean up very nicely with the volume rolled down on my telly... had a buddy of mine play my guitar and amp at the jam while I sat in the audience, and what I heard onstage translated really nicely into the audience.

I really like having the boost control on this pedal, kinda like how the "More Drive" function on the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is supposed to work! I know, some people woulf rather have a separate clean boost, etc. but I was able to make this work for me just fine (and I do have a separate boost on my board). It also stacked really well with my JHS Angry Charlie (as most overdrive pedals seem to), giving me that instant Santana/Mesa Boogie tone at a volume that was still slightly sane...

Yeah, I think this one is going to stick around awhile...

Franc Robert

4. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats neighbor.

Thanks a nice pedal, I'll pick up another some day.

5. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

The FD-2 is pretty much my go-to drive pedal, and has been for a while, even after trying to find something better. It's a very versatile pedal. I use mine at super low gain settings with the vintage setting, and then use the boost for just a bit more gain when I want it. I agree, it would be nice to have a seperate clean boost for the boost setting, and I think that's what the Fulldrive 3 accomplishes, but like you, I also have a seperate boost on my board. I use mine to grit up my Princeton Reverb or BMRI LTD, and it does a great job for that edge of break up thing with both amps. I've found that the Fulldrive 2 pretty much gets along with most amps. It's a great pedal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.