NPD (for my son anyway): MXR Duke of Tone

alesplin

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
My son got his first guitar (Epiphone SG Classic Worn P90s) and amp (Fender Champion 20) in September. He's still working on learning chords and how to switch between them (he's sort of a lackadaisical little dude), but he _really_ likes to fiddle around with my pedals, so to provide a little more motivation for him to play more, I told him he could buy a pedal for himself as a reward for working hard and getting 100% on a math test. He had seen me watching the intro video for the Duke a couple of weeks before the pedal came out, and has _really_ wanted one since then. So we trooped down to our local music store (where I had seen they have MXR pedals) and asked them to order him one. It arrived last week and I've wandered up to his room to play through it a couple of times.

And let me say, "Dude". That is a killer-sounding little pedal with the P90's and the blackface voice(s) on the Champion 20. It sounds _exactly_ like what you imagine when you think "P90s hitting and saturating an amp" classic rock sounds. The boost is _very_ boosty, but stays fairly clean even with the P90s through most of the knob range. The OD is a very transparent OD throughout the entire range. His guitar sounds like his guitar all the way from min drive to max drive. The distortion is like every 70's and 80's distortion sound that I loved growing up. But it definitely still sounds his guitar and his amp, just totally saturated and awesome.

I already have a Wampler Belle, which I love, as a transparent light overdrive, but I'm now getting ready to camp out on AnalogMan's website to see if I can score a Prince of Tone, and if I can't get one within a couple weeks of trying I'll just order myself a Duke of Tone and we'll have a pair of them between us.

SuperPA

TDPRI Member
My son got his first guitar (Epiphone SG Classic Worn P90s) and amp (Fender Champion 20) in September. He's still working on learning chords and how to switch between them (he's sort of a lackadaisical little dude), but he _really_ likes to fiddle around with my pedals, so to provide a little more motivation for him to play more, I told him he could buy a pedal for himself as a reward for working hard and getting 100% on a math test. He had seen me watching the intro video for the Duke a couple of weeks before the pedal came out, and has _really_ wanted one since then. So we trooped down to our local music store (where I had seen they have MXR pedals) and asked them to order him one. It arrived last week and I've wandered up to his room to play through it a couple of times.

And let me say, "Dude". That is a killer-sounding little pedal with the P90's and the blackface voice(s) on the Champion 20. It sounds _exactly_ like what you imagine when you think "P90s hitting and saturating an amp" classic rock sounds. The boost is _very_ boosty, but stays fairly clean even with the P90s through most of the knob range. The OD is a very transparent OD throughout the entire range. His guitar sounds like his guitar all the way from min drive to max drive. The distortion is like every 70's and 80's distortion sound that I loved growing up. But it definitely still sounds his guitar and his amp, just totally saturated and awesome.

I already have a Wampler Belle, which I love, as a transparent light overdrive, but I'm now getting ready to camp out on AnalogMan's website to see if I can score a Prince of Tone, and if I can't get one within a couple weeks of trying I'll just order myself a Duke of Tone and we'll have a pair of them between us.
They really do release them at 1 pm Est on wednesdays. I get one in my cart every week just to try it. Sort of a game. I have 2 of them I’ve bought that way. They literally last a minute or less, so do like he says and create an account ahead of time, with payment method, or you’ll lose it out of your cart. Good luck!

alesplin

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
They really do release them at 1 pm Est on wednesdays. I get one in my cart every week just to try it. Sort of a game. I have 2 of them I’ve bought that way. They literally last a minute or less, so do like he says and create an account ahead of time, with payment method, or you’ll lose it out of your cart. Good luck!
Yeah my account is created and I have like 3 alerts set to make sure I'm in front of my computer. That was good looking out though to remind me to add the payment method ahead of time. Thanks.

alesplin

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Wooooo! Got an order!

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
P90's can sing with a slightly driven amp or pedal. In a moment you're early Carlos Santana.

The Epiphone SG Classic is a great choice. Slim-D neck is comfortable to play. Access to every fret. They don't need anything but some setup tweaking.

alesplin

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
P90's can sing with a slightly driven amp or pedal. In a moment you're early Carlos Santana.

The Epiphone SG Classic is a great choice. Slim-D neck is comfortable to play. Access to every fret. They don't need anything but some setup tweaking.
Yeah I thought the action was a little high so I tweaked it a little when I showed him how to change strings. There's a bit of rattle now (no buzz that comes through the amp, but it plays so much better). I'm 100% looking for excuses to buy one of these and set it up as a dedicated Black Sabbath guitar.

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

I have to say, overall, I'm not all that impressed with my KOT.

But I do really like the boost side, and now kinda wish I had purchased a POT instead. On the other hand, the KOT will keep appreciating. :)

The Duke of Tone might tempt me one day. But, a couple of other things I want first.

Good luck.

Pax/
Dean

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Yeah I thought the action was a little high so I tweaked it a little when I showed him how to change strings. There's a bit of rattle now (no buzz that comes through the amp, but it plays so much better). I'm 100% looking for excuses to buy one of these and set it up as a dedicated Black Sabbath guitar.

Obvious string against the fret rattle or just a rattle?

alesplin

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Obvious string against the fret rattle or just a rattle?
Sounds like string against the fret, maybe above the fretted note? I've only ever done setups on my Tele, so I've got some learning to do, and probably some fine-tuning to do.

I checked, and it definitely isn't coming through the amp, so it's not an emergency, necessarily.