NPD: EXH Triangle Big Muff Pi Reissue

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by OttoCorrect, Oct 2, 2018.

1. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Got it from Sweetwater with 15% off from Ebay. I did a thread a few weeks back about all the Muff style pedals I've had recently but I figured instead of updating that thread I'd go more in depth here with the new Triangle reissue.

First off, with all the BMP pedals or clones I've had, I never ended up with any Triangle based models, so I have nothing to compare it to that way. I also know from YouTube vids and reading Kit Rae's Big Muff Page and the fuzz blog on Stomp Under Foot's website that there are literally dozens of circuit variations found inside the Triangle enclosures, so I don't know what, if any, particular Triangle variation this is supposed to be. All I can tell you is how it sounds and what I do/don't like about it.

That said, the Triangle reissue definitely puts the "Big" in "Big Muff Pi." It has more of everything you normally think of regarding Big Muffs. More bass than even the Green Russian, more mid scoop than just about anything I've tried, and more gain than any Ram's Head I've played. There's just MORE in this pedal. That makes its pretty unruly and rude, even in comparison to other high gain Big Muffs or even other high gain fuzzes.

You can dial down the fuzz to get some wonderful hollow sounding fuzz leads, but if you crank the fuzz and just riff some power chords, it quickly becomes apparent that the Triangle absolutely crushes as a doomy stoner fuzz. It's just nasty and raunchy and the fuzz when cranked has some of that oscillating, chainsaw texture I would get from the Boss FZ-2 but without the octave effect. Dialing it back helps reign it in, and it is quite rich and harmonic like a good Muff should be, but more than any other Big Muff I've played, the Triangle wants to do extremes.

And the massive bass, WOW! This is a pedal you feel in the floor. Absolutely huge.

I still think my Stomp Under Foot Ram's Head is the best BMP I've owned, the pedal is just so perfectly balanced and can do so many things so well, but there's definitely something fun about a fuzz that just begs to go nuclear. If you want a Big Muff Pi that's just wild and crazy and over the top nuts, the Triangle can totally get you there. It's the biggest sounding, heaviest BMP I've ever played. I love it.

emisilly likes this.
  2. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

no pictures ? no pedal ....

3. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

IMG_2963.JPG IMG_2964.JPG

brogh likes this.
  4. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Happy new pedal day ! and thanks for the review and the pics :)

5. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Happy "HUGE" new pedal day!!! Enjoy the monster...

6. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

I love mine. Glad you like yours.

7. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

Holy cow! Mine arrived today. There's no tiptoein' around with this bad boy. Dial it back? Please. ;)

8. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Hey, the BMP’s over-the-toppedness is the best reason to own one. I may not use it all that much, but it’s fuuuuuunnnnn!

9. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

Oh, my Please was meant in the are-you-kidding sense, not the if-you-please way. I'm completely with you.

Funny, after cranking the Triangle for a while, I hit the foot switch to turn it off and my amp immediately sounded weak and pathetic. Wimpy. I'm ruined.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  10. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe you need some meaner amps.

[​IMG]

mitchfinck and PBO Blues like this.
  11. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

Well, there's that. ;)

artdecade likes this.
  12. luckett

luckett Banned

You need to stand closer to the stacks for proper big muff tone.

[​IMG]

mitchfinck likes this.
  13. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

The ultimate Big Muff fan/practitioner!

14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Premier Guitar did a review of it. I think I get the appeal, but it's definitely not for me.
    I need tones that cut through so I prefer more mids. YMMV of course.

15. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Come on, now. Lemmy has a flamethrower going off behind his stacks while J has a family eating at a cafeteria or something. :lol:

emisilly and Guitandanza like this.
  16. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

What’s funny for me to contemplate is the fact that, if *this* is properly representative of the first run of Big Muffs, that means all the variations of the circuit afterwards were in one way or another toning things down!!! :eek:

PBO Blues likes this.
  17. gemather

gemather TDPRI Member

Whats the transistors used here?

18. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was in a pedal-buildin’ mood a couple years ago and decide that I (and everyone else) should have a BMP around the house for fun. Trouble was, which one? I checked out a bunch of videos on the Stomp Under Foot website and his Triangle Muff was the real standout. So, that’s what I built. It’s everything the earlier posters say it is, a massive-sounding monster of a pedal. I think it’s cool that EHX has issued a 50th Anniversary tribute to the original. The only reason I haven’t bought one is, I already have my DIY Triangle.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.