NPD- Envelope Filter- Disappointed

Telewielder

Tele-Meister
I own a few. The trickiest one to use is and old MXR EF. Threshold on mine has got to be set high or there's no quack. Sounds great when set right. The easiest--and most fun--is the Boss AW-2. That thing is crazy. I think it's got an actual wah inductor under the hood.

telel6s

Tele-Afflicted
I did some studying and played around with my pedal order. I had been running the Pour Over first in the chain, but I stuck my BYOC compressor before it, and a Timmy before that. I tried a buffered pedal before, with the effect off, just to see if that would help, but it really didn't do much, if anything.

With just the Timmy on, just set for a little "extra", the filter is pretty predictable and sounds pretty vocal. The Pour Over is still very sensitive to the setting adjustment- I basically have to touch the knobs instead of turning them. The comp allows the filter to react even to the neck pickup (standard Tele style), but gives a much quicker sweep. With both on I get this interesting warbly sound like I'm shaking a piece of thin sheetmetal or plexiglass.

I think if I had it to do over again, I'd probably go Analogman, just based on the reviews, but from what I can gather, this is basically par for the course as far as envelope filters go- on the finicky side.
As always, there's no real wrong way to set up a pedal chain. Do what works for you and your music.

That said, using comp/OD/distortion/fuzz before an envelope filter of any type lessens the dynamics and therefore the movement of the envelope and the effect (although some people might actually prefer that). Also, and I don't claim to know all the electronic bits, most/some filter pedals prefer to be very first in the chain because they expect the impedance coming directly from the guitar. Any buffer before that can cause issues in how the envelope filter responds. I have the Rubber Chicken (and a Donner Dynamic Wah prior to that) that always goes first in my chain for best effect. Works just fine with plain jane Tele pickups, P90s and humbuckers. Just takes a slight tweak of the sensitivity depending on what sounds I'm trying to get.