1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NPD - EHX Oceans 12

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Chud, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Arrived this morning just a little bit before my only work call of the day, so I'll get to head down to the studio to play around with it in a bit. Pretty excited to get it plugged in and muck around with it!

IMG_6417.JPG IMG_6418.JPG IMG_6419.JPG IMG_6420.JPG

Old Plank and BorderRadio like this.
  2. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

Just read a little about this. Lots of cool features. But dang, I'm getting old or something, looking at that interface and thinking "I can't keep track of how to get from here to there" on my EHX Attack/Decay, and it's simpler.

Chud and thunderbyrd like this.
  3. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yah I returned the Oceans 11 over it's interface. I haven't tried this one but it looks like it has the same issue despite being big enough to have a different interface.

With the gargantuan size of this pedal I don't understand why they have the goofy "function" button that alters the function of the 4 main knobs. They essentially made the pedal gigantic but didn't fix the Oceans 11's major flaw. They should have just stuck 4 more knobs underneath the white knobs to control the secondary parameters. Then you would always know what you're getting.

I don't understand how EHX misses this when they have so many other pedals in this size that have crystal clear user interfaces that make sense. Look at the DMM-1100TT and DMM-550TT. They are complicated, but they're also WYSIWYG... you can look at the knobs/buttons/indicators and you instantly know exactly what is going on with the pedal. That is just not true of this one. I kind of wonder if a key designer/engineer left and no one is pushing back on these designs.

I hope you enjoy the pedal and none of this stuff bothers you.

Chud likes this.
  4. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Just played around with it a bit going into the front end of the Origin 50, haven't played it in the FX loop yet but will this weekend. It's really not as complicated as it looks, pretty intuitive actually (for me anyway). I agree that dual pots on the function knobs would have been a better design, but the alternate functions below the main ones are things that are most likely set once and forget so it's not that much of a miss for me.

Really digging it so far. Some very cool features that will be very handy to have in addition to it just being a really good sounding dual reverb pedal. I was actually expecting it to be bigger than it is given the features it has packed in there. A couple of my quick favorites just from noodling around with it over the last hour or so:

• First is just the fact that it has two really good sounding reverbs that can be run in series or parallel. Way cool
    • Tails feature is very nice to have so that there's not an abrupt cutoff when switching off one of the reverbs. You can also "kick" the spring reverb setting by double tapping the reverb switch when tails are on
    • Momentary switch to allow one or both reverb switches to be momentary or latching. Very cool feature for adding texture to individual passages
    • The inclusion of delay and tremolo effects is really cool as well given this pedal is going on a small board specifically for the Marshall. It's literally four pedals in one with the dual reverb, delay and trem.
    • Actually, scratch that. It's five pedals in one. It has chorus too. And apparently octave and pitch shift effects. Shoot, I lost count. How many is that? :lol::lol:
    My only complaint about it so far is that my eyesight isn't what it used to be, and I need to get all up in it to see what I'm doing to it at any given time. That's the case with most of my pedals with more than one knob though, so I think that's on me. :D:D

Very happy with it so far. My SW guy gave me a nice discount on it, and he hasn't called me yet to ask if I need anything else, so WIN WIN!! :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  5. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I just saw a video for the Eventide Blackhole. That would suit me better.
    But I'm good for reverb/delay/mod pedals.

That's cool that you like it after playing with it. I don't want to sound negative! I love my EHX pedals.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.