NPD DOA?

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I've never had this happen to me and I'm wondering if there is something I am missing. I recently bought a J Rockett Millennium Delay on sale at Sweetwater. I think it's DOA but I still wonder if I did something wrong? It says on a sticker covering the power jack "9v center negative only" - I used my Onespot, which I thought was exactly that. Could I have fried it though? I didn't do anything else to it. I thought all this stuff was pretty standard by now.

I'll return it I guess. Maybe just bad luck to get a bum pedal.

The Spark mini boost I got is pretty great though.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Most all modern pedals have reverse-polarity (diode) protection on the 9v power jack.

If it has a battery option, try that.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
Most all modern pedals have reverse-polarity (diode) protection on the 9v power jack.

If it has a battery option, try that.
No battery option, and I have no idea what a reverse-polarity diode protector is, how I would find that out, etc. The pedal didn't come with even a scrap of paper instructions. So it's fair to assume that if I can't get it working with a OneSpot that I know works with other pedals, then it is DOA.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
No battery option, and I have no idea what a reverse-polarity diode protector is, how I would find that out, etc. The pedal didn't come with even a scrap of paper instructions. So it's fair to assume that if I can't get it working with a OneSpot that I know works with other pedals, then it is DOA.

Yeah, it's probably a crib death.

The reverse-polarity protection is a good thing, because not too long ago, many pedals didn't have it. The problem was there was no 'standard' for how the 9v power jacks were wired: some pedals were center negative and some pedals were center positive.

Without polarity protection, this is a problem because if you plug in a power supply and the polarity is wrong, e.g., center positive power supply into a center negative pedal, it could fry the pedal. It left you with a very expensive paperweight or doorstop.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
Sorry, it is called an "immortal" delay not "millenium" and it's on sale at Sweetwater for $60. FYI. Going to set up a return now.

jddub440

Tele-Holic
Sorry, it is called an "immortal" delay not "millenium" and it's on sale at Sweetwater for $60. FYI. Going to set up a return now.
What an unfortunate moniker for your dud-effect. J Rockett does seem pretty quality tho, the next one they send you will likely be tip-top functioning.
I've used the J Rockett Hooligan and it is awesome for some faux brass horn sounds!

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
What an unfortunate moniker for your dud-effect. J Rockett does seem pretty quality tho, the next one they send you will likely be tip-top functioning.
I've used the J Rockett Hooligan and it is awesome for some faux brass horn sounds!
Yeah I am surprised. I have one other pedal of theirs (Josh Smith Dual Trem) and it is really nice.
The naming irony escaped me somehow! :)

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
Hope all that gets worked out quickly. JRAD makes some good stuff and Sweetwater takes care of people.

ICTRock

Tele-Afflicted
it happens, I've fixed a few that showed up DOA sometimes just a solder pad missing solder, sometimes someone loses track of a pedal that got returned after the magic smoke was let out, and once in a blue moon a bad component finds its way in

Tuneup

Tele-Holic
I expected to see "guitar center" was surprised when it was Sweetwater.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
Update:
Called Sweetwater and they shipped me a new pedal and a return slip and gave me two weeks to get it in the mail.

The new pedal is just what I need - a good and small delay. It's not anything crazy, but it was $60, sounds great, and powers from a one spot.
Happy customer!