NPD: Chicago Stompworks Gray Speck

Treynor

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Just got this in yesterday. I'm looking forward to a play through after work today. I'll post my impressions afterwords. Anyone else have or played thru this pedal?

tempImageaBSlAR.png

tempImageDlEEm9.png

cousinpaul

Friend of Leo's
Congrats! I've got Chicago Stompworks Blues Breaker and Red Llama clones. A Grey Speck is on my list. I've owned a couple of vintage OD250's but never the gray version. Looking forward to your review.

xStonr

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Congrats on the new pedal. I have their plain box Mr Vermin and Black Fudge which I am very happy with.

Treynor

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I could not resist just getting a 10 minute sneak preview. So over lunch i plugged just the pedal into my Vox AC10 set fairly clean (Vol at Noon, Gain at 9 o'clock), and played my G&L ASAT Classic thru it. I had the Volume (LOUD) at about 11 o'clock and the Gain (GRRR!) at 1 o'clock on the Gray Speck. Just using my guitar volume, I could get a nice clean..to a boost...to OD...all the way to a distortion/fuzz tone. Pretty sweet. I was surprised just how good it sounded with the Seth Lover neck pickup for a nice blues type lead when I had the volume on the guitar rolled back a little.

Looking forward to tonight running this into my Marshall AVT50 thru both the clean and crunch channels :)

Reactions: BB

omahaaudio

Friend of Leo's
Just got this in yesterday. I'm looking forward to a play through after work today. I'll post my impressions afterwords. Anyone else have or played thru this pedal?
I cannot, for the life of me, understand why anyone bothers to post something like this. "I got this in the mail but I can't use it until tonight."
Wait until "tonight", use it, then give us your thoughts on it.

Last edited:

Treynor

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I cannot, for the life of me, understand why anyone bothers to post something like this. "I got this in the mail but I can't use it until tonight."
Wait until "tonight", use it, then give usvyour thoughts on it.
It's called Anticipation...

Treynor

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I got the chance to play it thru my AVT50 Marshall with a Les Paul Standard, and here is what I found:

Clean Channel - By itself, I find it better as a boost than an OD or Distortion. I've been using a Way Huge as an always on pedal, and it still trumps the Gray Speck in that role. However...I ran my Boss SD-1 as a low gain into the Gray Speck with the Volume on 10 pm, and the Gain at 1 pm. Now that is glorious huge Distortion sound I like! I could use that combination as an alternative to my amps Crunch Channel.

Crunch Channel - The Gray Speck drives it into a nice thick distortion with plenty of low end. But I really prefer the Boss SD-1 to push this Channel...it's just more articulate while tightening the bottom end more.

So far, I prefer the Gray Speck into my Vox AC10. It could be my only boost/od/distortion thru a cleanish setting on my amp while using my guitar volume to control.

In summary...I like the Gray Speck a lot. It is a quality-built pedal with a surprisingly low noise floor even when running in high gain. Looking forward to running it thru my Supro TremoVerb and a few Fender amps.