1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NPD Catalinbread Naga Viper (Rangemaster). Demo inside.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Bluego1, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

So the manual says the pedal was designed to slam the Dirty Little Secret as the rangemaster was used to slam a saturated tube amp. So, if you can’t crank your amp, crank your overdrive pedal. Not having a DLS, I used an OCD. In the interest of brevity, I’ve only shown a sample with all three knobs dimed but the range and heat knobs can give you all kinds of different stuff. So this is an LP straight to the Viper, the OCD, then a VHT Special 6, volume at 2 out of 10, through a Celestion G12M greenback, 8 ohms. My iPad is on a tripod right up against the speaker, recording.
    Ya, there’s a little noise, but these excel at noisy songs so waddya expect:).

2. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Thanks for taking the time to demo the Naga Viper. It’s been on my list for a few weeks, but I haven’t bought one yet.

How does it clean up when you rollback the guitar’s volume?

Bluego1 and ponce like this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for explaining it Blugo

That’s one thing I didn’t understand when I bought my rangemaster

I expected Brian May type heavenly sounds and that’s NOT what it does (it does boost treble), I think a lot of people misunderstood it like me

It really shines when you pair it with a fuzz or a super cranked amp

Without a pairing I find it quite mediocre

Bluego1 likes this.
  4. BGLeduc

BGLeduc TDPRI Member

I have had one for a few months. Total game changer for me. I actually just added a DLS to my board, and have not had a chance to try it out, so I look forward to seeing how they play together.

Bluego1 likes this.
  5. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

Used to have a Naga Viper I built myself, but then I repurposed the casing to fit my Timmy clone. I have more options now, but my so-so tube amp makes all pedals sound pretty much the same. Another speaker maybe...

Bluego1 likes this.
  6. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I did a DIY version of the NV about a year ago, and have been using it fairly regularly.

I use it in front of an OD pedal of my own design, with the gain (or boost) set pretty low on both.

I then use this in combination with both clean and dirty amps - really the only combo that doesn't work for my application is NV only into a clean amp (and I'm not sure that's an application that would probably ever make pleasing sounds).

My favorite use is with my Marshall Origin 20H, which I now set to be kind of dirty. I then use various combos of NV, my OD, and the Origin's boost, to give me a whole lot of variation of tight dirt, loose dirt, and even higher gain sounds, although the metal crowd would probably laugh at what I personally consider to be 'higher gain'.

Anyway, I don't see the NV coming off my board any time soon. Probably the only thing I might do is build a more compact 2 knob version, because I never adjust the heat control. But the range control is worth its weight in gold, and IMO it makes other Rangemaster type boosts, with their fixed voicings (even those with multiposition switches) really seem relatively inflexible.

Bluego1 likes this.
  7. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Excellently.

Tim S likes this.
  8. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Afflicted

I had one and also had an Analogman Beano Boost. I preferred the Naga Viper. Congrats!

Bluego1 likes this.
  9. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I used to have one goosing a Wampler Plexi Drive. Sounded epic. It’s a great pedal.

Bluego1 likes this.
  10. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

I also powered the OCD at 9 volts, rather than the 18 I usually use, so it would get slammed more readily.

BGLeduc likes this.
  11. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

But everything is relative @Tim S :cool:

12. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

And what good is a rangemaster without a range control;).

13. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Sorry to bump again but I’m having too much fun so y’all have to suffer:cool:.
    This viper does suck on it’s own, but man it’s good in front of the ocd.
    Pardon these “demos”. I don’t really do demos. Obviously:lol:.

14. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

The Naga Viper is one of my favorite circuits (the other is germanium Rangemasters, go figure lol) and I've built two so far, one from Jed's Peds in the UK and the other from Rullywow. The Jed's Peds version is a straight up clone, I used a NOS milspec 2N2222a with a little lower gain than the rest of my stash. The Rullywow is similar though I used an old RCA SK3020 transistor that I've had lying around since the late 70s/early 80s.

NagaViper_on.jpg NagaViper_Gutshot.jpg rullywow serpent boost top.jpg Rullywow RCA SK3020.jpg

Bluego1 likes this.
  15. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange Tele-Meister

I’ve always been intrigued by the Naga Viper, but it’s been with what seems like the mistaken notion it’d get me Brian May kinda sounds out of my Vox.

If it shines pushing another pedal or cooking amp, is its circuit unique enough that it does something my Atomic Brain, Sex Drive or Chase Tone Secret Preamp don’t/can’t?

Bluego1 likes this.
  16. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

I don’t have enough knowledge of circuits to be able to answer that;maybe someone that does will chime in.
    Totally unrelated but thought I’d throw it in for anyone interested in the pedal: it likes to see the signal from the guitar. No buffers before it.

50ShadesofOrange likes this.
  17. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange Tele-Meister

Fair enough. I sure wouldn’t know the circuitry either.

The Atomic Brain is another one that’s supposed to be first in line, which is where I start to wonder about differences, if any.

I love a new pedal as much as the next guy, but for all but the most discerning ears, at what point do flavors of boost get lost in downstream stacking?

I hope I’m not derailing or shooting holes in a NPD. :) I’m just curious how much differences there really are, or aren’t, once the signal is “recolored” by other drives in a chain.

Maybe I can redirect GAS, since it’s often impossible to cure.

Bluego1 likes this.
  18. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

No worries, Orange. And I haven’t really stacked much before. I’m fairly new to this game. I only did it here because I read the manual.

19. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Since you have both, can you give a comparison of how they sound different?

Or IOW, do you think there are any advantages to using a germanium transistor vs. a silicon one?

zippofan, Tim S and Bluego1 like this.
  20. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

That's a great question! One of the Rangemaster variants I've built has both circuits in it, switchable between a germanium NPN and a silicon NPN. The hFE of the silicon transistor (another metal can 2N2222A) is a little higher than the germanium (Mullard black glass CV7112) ~120 vs 80, so it's a little louder, but otherwise I can't tell a whole lot of difference.

DualRangeGuts.JPG DualRangeTop.JPG

Bluego1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.