NPD - Catalinbread FN5

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Rockdog, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

I got this in a trade with my luthier. I was at his shop picking up my custom Esquire (pictured below) and noticed the Catalinbread FN5 sitting on his bench. I told him I've heard great things about it on TDPRI. He replied, "You want it? It's Neil Young in a box. Not my cup of tea." He was gonna put it on ebay, so I asked him what he wanted for it. He said he'd prefer a trade for an overdrive that was more to his liking and asked what I had. He was interested in my Keeley Blues Driver, so I traded him straight up. I'll miss the BD-2, but the FN5 is a nice consolation. It's the sound I've always heard in my head, but never quite achieved until now. :D

Attached Files:

2. mal paso

mal paso Banned

Congrats Rdog!

it's always nice to find a piece of the puzzle

(I'd like to try one of these out myself someday)

3. tooncaster

tooncaster Tele-Afflicted

Neil Young in a box - that's one crazy box. :)

Congrats! Will you post a demo of tones?

4. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

Thanks! I don't have any recording equipment at the moment, but here's a demo straight from the horse's mouth ;)

5. rolling56

rolling56 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Would love to have one.........congrats!

6. ToneShark

ToneShark Tele-Meister

Where's your amp?

7. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

Geez, the Micro Cube isn't THAT small, is it? :lol:

It'll be a little while before I have a big amp again. Other priorities at the moment...expecting my second baby girl any day now. :D

8. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice score ! I love my Cat5. Be sure to try it on 18v, it sounds a lot tighter to me. I don't run it on 9v anymore. I've done entire 4 hour gigs using the FN5 99% of the time for OD. Love that pedal. It's perfect for the Keith sound, but far from a one-trick pony.

9. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

Thanks WaylonFan, I'm eager to try it with 18V. Which adapter are you using?

10. WaylonFan76

11. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

Congratulation! One of my favorite dirt boxes. I bought it right after release, and it's still with me. And it's not only Neil Young, but also Black Crowes, which I love too. And it sounds especially good with tele.

That's my old record of this pedal not very nice sound and playing, but that's it:
    http://soundcloud.com/jester-fx/deadman-theme-cover

12. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Jester! I agree that it sounds especially good with a Tele and can do Black Crowes very well. Some of my favorite guitar tones are from Before the Frost...Until the Freeze, and I think the FN5 is great for getting Rich Robinson's gritty sound on that record.

Very cool :cool:

13. ToneShark

ToneShark Tele-Meister

They were actually going for David Lindley in a box when they made that pedal.

I had one. Liked it okay, but the volume increase was just insane. All Catalinbread pedals I've played have had this, which is a little frustrating, but I've set up my DLS Mk II (which is on my board now) as unoffensively as I could. It's weird to look at the knobs and see half of them pointing to zero, but that's the only way I can keep it from doubling my volume, I guess.

14. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

Never heard that. Interesting. I always considered David Lindley more associated with Dumble amps. The Catalinbread is supposed to emulate cranked Fender 5E3 (hence the "5" in Formula No. 5).

15. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

Why do you think so?

I had some CB pedals and do not have any issues. I set volume on WIIO and DLS about 12 o'clock, on Fn5 about 11 o'clock. One pedal, which was really loud was SCOD. He had boost, starting from 9 o'clock. But I set it just about 8:30-9 o'clock and that's it. Also, this pedals sounds way better, when set loud.

16. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

Without any doubt, it's 5E3-style pedal, like CB guys said in their description of these pedal:
    http://www.catalinbread.com/FN5

17. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

the FN is a real dirty pedal and does not do the edge of breakup very well, at least for me and what I play. It does not sound like a cranked Tweed Deluxe.... and yes, I have a 1949 deluxe to compare my FN5 to. You will notice in their demo's there is no actual Tweed Deluxe for comparison. The FN is also sensitive to the amount of treble that it is fed and if the treble is too low the guitar disappears in the mix pretty easily.

18. ToneShark

ToneShark Tele-Meister

A friend of mine helped design the pedal, so I heard this straight from the horse's mouth.

Not going after Lindley's Dumble tones per se, but his amps always sounded like they were about to explode when he played slide.

19. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for info. Also, that's make sense, since I really love how this pedal sounds with slide.

20. WaylonFan76

That's true. The FN5 has to be set really low not to tear everybody's head off. It is kinda weird looking at a pedal with two out of three dials almost on zero... :eek:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.