NPD....Boss SD1W

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by The-Kid, Jan 19, 2020.

1. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Sounds amazing pluged alone into amp.....just amazing.....even better in chain!!! Using this with the AC15C1 as its a work horse and takes pedals well and easily can be pushed into hard OD at reasonable or obscene volumes. Testing so far......

Has more gain than either TS9 or OD808 but sounds best early in chain especially goosing other ODs. Later in chain still good but not so good. It sounds glorius earlier as it just like being hit by the guitars signal.

Got it today and in the pedal chain its a bit different but frigging still awesome as hell and after trying it here and there for a few minutes feel the 3rd in chain is best for this addition.

Doesnt like being played later in chain. Definately like to be early in the chain and I figure what better spot to put it than right after the Sugar Drive. Tried it late in the chain but I feel it like to be hit by the guitar early and it gives best sound this way. Also loves going into cooked drives so its perfect for this pedal to be before TS9 and OD808. Also can be clean boosted and such by the Sugar Drive so its in the happy inbetween spot were it can goose my other ODs, and be goosed it self by the Sugar Drive if wanted.

Really great tones so far and cant wait to try out with the new Princeton either.

Chain goes Guitar MXR CAE Wah>MXR Sugar Drive>BOSS SD1W>BOSS Ibanez TS9>Maxon OD808> Dunlop/MXR Fuzz Face Blue mini 108> BOSS CE2W> BOSS DM2W>Amp.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

have fun !!!!, congrats

The-Kid likes this.
  3. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Thanks man. Its pretty dope so far and am enjoying it!!! Really above and beyond amazing tones. Loving this new addition of Waza Craft. I dont mean to be a fan boy but the Waza line sounds so damn good. Not a surprise I have three of them along with my MXR stuff tied with the Boss stuff as far as number of them on board.

Boss stuff just rules....well at least Waza Craft!

A pic of the family.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    24 track likes this.
  4. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

The only original pedal on this board that I started with and is still my favriote is the TS9. The others are keepers but I will never forget the TS9.

But yeah this SD1W is becoming a mainstay. Dont ever consider putting a new pedal on the board even if it is super good. But the SD1W is simply amazing and exceptional in terms if sonic performance and tone.

Really have tried other 150-200+ pedals non make me think...."oh yeah this is the sauce right here".

This right here though....does pack the magic tone sauce and I would highly recomend this over the tock version as this pedals stock mode sounds way better and alone is worth the 150$. Even vs other pedals that are the same price or 200$+ they kick ass and do very well.

Highly recomended for anyone looking for a good OD to drive or to join the other ODs and DS currently on your board.

Plays and sounds amazing goosing the Fuzz.Face even and not alot of pedals can do that very well.

Overall super impressed and super satisfied.

stormsedge and 24 track like this.
  5. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

Nice that you are liking the overdrive! How are you liking that CE-2 Chorus?

I might be in the market for one!

The-Kid likes this.
  6. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Amazing!!!

Tested vs a Blue Hippo, Jam Waterfalls etc etc....nothing compares to a good Japanese Chorus especially the original.

Has the same tone as the vintage ones. The CE1 and Vibrato modes settings give a slight 2 db or 3db boost in CE1 and Vib mode when active but this is a artifact of the originals and common with old bucket brigades. Hardly noticable on clean but more pronounced using higher gain. Helps cut through the mix when activated but without being so in your face.

The CE2 setting is pretty transparent in the sense that there isnt a slight boost just chorus. Find my self on CE1 alot but also use CE2 mode very often.

Also if you stack it with onboard tremolo or a tremolo pedal this gives a Leslie tone better than most sims. The chorus acts like a "speaker" swirl and the tremolo helps fine tune the "horn". Do this like a charm with my AC15C1 as it has on board tremolo.

Also use the CE2 setting with a slight mix of super slow chorus. Just a touch on top of my DM2W analog delay to give those slight detune artifact found in old school tape delays. Works like a charm.

The CE1 setting is a bit more lush and tiny bit more detunes so its hard not to be here all the time but the CE2 side is where its at for that 80s tone all day and vintage CE2 vibe all day.

Many uses for this pedal. Works better than great with OD. Sounds best clean obviosly.

Can get a very univbe tone on the Vibrato setting too. Vibrato has more range, speed and super detuned compared to the other two chorus settings. Very nice tones all around and need to experiment more with this setting as Im not here to often but it sounds great too.

Warning dont try other Waza pedals.....you will end up buying 2 or 3 more like my arse! :)

stormsedge, 24 track and tubedood like this.
  7. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Why did you have to post this? Now I want one....

Congrats!!!!

4pickupguy and The-Kid like this.
  8. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Thanks man. These are great and for others who may have missed my review of this one on my other threas here it is on this one. Its what the rigs been missing without me even knowing it.

Really thought "oh well this as good as it gets" and have been super happy with my set up lately pedal wise couldnt get better.....or so I thought...played some expensive stuff and alway go....nah....cant get better than the Sugar Drive, TS pedals and Fuzz Face....I mean all great. But the SD1W just makes everything ×10 better :) as good as everything was.

Full in depht review of my first impressions and experiences with it..... @bluesholyman wrote this review.....went back in and bought it next day. Frigging amazing pedal man trust!

Okay so I havent really paid much attention to these as its a Boss pedal right....and all Boss ODs are terrible right? ......but went in for some Gibson Reissue strings at the local GC.

I dont really have experience with either pedal so these are my first impressions....Told myself Id get in and out but they were kind of busy and I eyed some stuff while there..

New Charvel Dk24 pink was on floor with roasted maple neck duncsn and bucker spliters.....saw a Waza SD1 and Sd1 regular.....Fender Champ XD...not fancy but decent....

Plug and play.

First one I tried was the Boss Waza. Dialed into a JCM800 type tone. Pretty friggin hair and super tight with nice round bass. Okay okay Im digging it. Great highs never ice picky. Boost the highs. Super squels more hair yet still plenty of bass and warmth. Just crisp and butter.

Even drew a small crowd.....2 guys looking at me in the distance instantly picked up anothe Charvel Similar to this one. They had NAMM tags. Didnt even plug in but were curios. Other kid asked sales men for a distortion pedal after staring at me play for 5 minutes....

Okay okay it sounds good. Random dudes just standing right in front just staring for 10-15 min watching me shred it.....good signs.

Aside from that....I just kind of meditate and try to drown the store out and focus. Good sound. No guff. If you suck the pedal will show it but if its golden the pedal will show it. Pretty no frills straight up good sound. Godly tones are possible but they all come from the fingers no prenteding here.

Really brought out some tones that were just unreal.

Pluged into an SD1 regular the 50$ ones and while yeah one could get sort of similar tones the bass was just not there. The highs were too shrill and the OD was so bloated and unfocues in comparison to the fat, warm and tight tones coming out of the Waza Craft version......

The stock setting on the SD1W alone I would pay 150$ for over the stock 50$ SD1. I just felt the Waza here just blew the SD1 regular one out of the water.......

bluesholyman likes this.
  9. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Day off. Time to really give this baby a whirl!

10. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I'm wondering if Boss has fixed the problem with the SD-1 of the slight bleed of distorted tone into the bypassed sound in the Waza version. This is the problem that brought about that mod where you clip one cap to fix it. Anyone know?.
    Al

The-Kid likes this.
  11. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

While not Waza but my SD1 has been on my board since '93. I have tubescreamers, Fulldrive 2, Sparkle Drive, OCD, Rat -all to replace my Boss but I just like the Boss best.

Anacharsis and The-Kid like this.
  12. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Yes they fixed this bug. Was an issue but was addressed in the Waza line.

Its been documented in forums and I have seen plenty of mention of this

13. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Stock or waza. sD1 is great.

Loving mine 100%!

14. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

If I ever stumble on a Keeley modded one I'd pick that up in hurry but I can't remember which mod it was. There is one mod that just turned it into a regular tube screamer (meh) and there was another mod that had more gain if I remember correctly. I remember the audio clips of the latter mod sounding pretty darn good.

The-Kid likes this.
  15. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

As mentioned, the Waza is fixed that way, but I would say the newer stock ones are fixed too. I have a more recent SMT version of the venerable SD-1 and I’ve tried cranking all the knobs on mine with the pedal off and get zero bleed through.

The-Kid likes this.
  16. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

That’s awesome if they start making all the waza pedals in japan

Woe that’s a lot of drive in one chain

The-Kid likes this.
  17. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I will sell delays, modulation pedals, reverbs etc,... but I will never sell a dirt box. Sooner or later there will an application it’s perfect for. The SD-1 was my first OD (I had a Maestro fuzz but... nope). I thought it was the bomb until I got a Rat. Now I would like to revisit the ol’ Boss. They just make killer stuff, period! Congrats on finding a fit for your rig! Brands, styles, price, hype, none of it matters if it sounds good!!!

PS How does that Fuzz Face like the buffers in front? I tried that and almost put an eye out!!

The-Kid likes this.
  18. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

The Boss sd-1 was my very first pedal 30 years ago while beginning on electric guitar.
    My tone was awful because I did not know anything about a signal chain. I would be so happy to test it back today with my rig: I’ve tried to find the pedal at my mom’s, but she has obviously thrown it away.

19. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Dude its great. Since there is a wah in the chain the buffers in between setles the wah and Fuzz.

Even just having a TS9 in between them is great. On or off the buffer is active and helps fix impedance mismatches so the wah is fuzz friendly.

Also it sounds just as good this way in the chain as or by itself. There is a difference of course but I have to say it sounds phenominal before or after.

Im loving it.

Also switching the MXR sugar drive to Buffer as this helps the signal more. Did try truebypass....but True Bypass is begening to sound like a mid 2000s bing word that is just out dated and out of fashion now a days.

20. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

Ya I like the waza line. Like like having the old high quality stuff.

Geeze that's a lot of overdrive!! And a lot of buffers! I struggle just to keep my od808 on the board. In fact, it's coming off (love it though). Just no room atm for an overdrive pedal. And I try to minimize the buffering. For me, one good one is ideal. I think the waza buffers are much better than the mit boss stuff.

The-Kid likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.