1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NPD: Boss JB-2 Angry Driver

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Dec 15, 2017.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

After playing this pedal two different times about a month apart, I decided to pull the trigger. The BD-2 side is really really good and I have never been a fan of the BD-2 - this incarnation seems a bit smoother to me. The Angry Charlie side is just a great sound and I have always been a fan of the Guv'nor that inspired it.

What is really good is that the two sides are voiced similarly so going from the BD-2 to the Angry Charlie just seems like a natural progression. Also, with the 3 different ways to stack them together, in series with either before the other and in parallel, there is just so much tonal variety on tap.

Hats off to Boss and JHS for concocting such a great combination.

2. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

Congrats on the new pedal. I’m hoping these pedals will lower the price of the most recent iteration of the Angry Charlie enough on the used market that i’ll actually be able to afford one. I really want one with a 3-band EQ.

3. bluesholyman

The 3-band EQ is what originally attracted me to the Guv'nor - that mids dial made a huge difference. Not sure this pedal is really competition for the 3-band Angry Charlie. I would suspect that JHS had their influence on the BD-2 side and Boss had their influence on the Angry Charlie side.

In this box, they both seem very focused and tight - its the type of sound I like. I remember the Guv'nor being a little looser, but still a great sound. I have never played an Angry Charlie though, so can't comment there.

4. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

I’m very intrigued and may trade my Marshall Bluesbreaker II pedal for it, but I won’t get the chance to go to the music store until after the holidays. In the meantime, any early feedback anyone could provide to feed or ease my G.A.S. would be appreciated!

5. bluesholyman

I have had that BB-2 pedal and I remember it being compressed and bright, more into tubescreamer territory than Marshall Guv'nor territory, which is what the Angry Charlie side of the JB-2 is inspired by. I have never played and original Bluesbreaker, so I can't say how close the BB-2 is to that.

Would I trade/sell the BB-2 for a JB-2 if I could only have one? In a heartbeat....but that won't ease your gas, its just going to set it ablaze....

I think the tonal quality of the JB-2 is many steps above the BB-2. But bear in mind, that as an observer, I am biased toward pedals that are less compressed in nature, more open, so I have a [hidden] aversion to anything TS-like in nature. I think the BB-2 tends to fall into that category of tube-screamery sounding.

If I could have both pedals, I would and then decided if I would keep the BB-2, as I think it has its place and it is a place that is different from the JB-2.

I think the BluesDriver circuit in the JB-2 is the best blues driver I have ever heard - it might be part "waza-craft" but I am not sure about that - its just really, really good and smooth with a defined but not overly bright top-end. The angry charlie side is just awesome but I have never played an actual Angry Charlie, so I can't compare. I have read other reviews (outside of TDPRI) that suggest this is the best angry charlie version they have heard, but that is subjective.

I think the JB-2 is going to be one of those "historic" Boss pedals - its just so good...

6. Minimalist518

Thanks very much! What I like about the BB-2 is that it has two modes. This made it a shoe-in for my small board where multi-taskers are a real benefit. What I dislike about the BB-2 is that the modes are only selectable by a rotary switch which isn’t conducive to switching on the fly.
    The JB-2 on the other hand gives the capability to switch between two gain levels or styles by foot switch and I can even, by adding an external switch, have both modes on tap with the capacity to turn the pedal off and on. Taking all of that into account, if I find the sound as transportive as you do, I have a feeling it’ll be coming home with me!

7. dlc1953

dlc1953 Tele-Meister

Have the one arriving Friday",I think the tonal quality of the JB-2 is many steps above the BB-2. But bear in mind, that as an observer, I am biased toward pedals that are less compressed in nature, more open, so I have a [hidden] aversion to anything TS-like in nature. I think the BB-2 tends to fall into that category of tube-screamery sounding." If this hold'e true I'll be a happy camper, was on the fence on this one originally but if the Tone control is good and it's not to Tube Screamer like I should like it! Had the AT Angry Charlie for awhile and it was pretty darn good.

8. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Holic

I always found the danelectro daddy o to be the same as the original marsall govner- I really look forward to getting this boss pedal!

rob2 and Nickadermis like this.
  9. Minimalist518

Bluesholyman, I want to thank you for your input on the JB-2. Based on your observations, I went to check one out at my favorite music store. They were on backorder. The store got one in last week and gave me a call. I was able to go up this past weekend and A/B it against my BB-2.
    Everything you said about the JB-2 is dead-on! The Angry Driver didn’t just leave the BB-2 in its dust, it buried it; I love it! I’d also add to your observations relevant to BB-2 vs. JB-2 comparison that the JB-2 is wonderfully reactive with the guitar’s volume knob. This wasn’t true of the BB-2 and it was something I disliked about it. I handed my BB-2 over in trade without hesitation or the slightest twinge of regret.
    It’s going to be a couple weeks before I can get together with the guys I jam with; I’m looking forward to their reactions. In the meantime, I’ll be spending some one-on-one time learning my way around the Angry Driver.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  10. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats! I'm still hoping for the day that one can purchase a Rat in a Boss enclosure. :):cool:

MilwMark and Staypuft1652 like this.
  11. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Anyone still enjoying one of these?

12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I have a Angry Charlie ATvI and a BD-2 in front of it. I bought it to cure a lowend problem I was having with my Rat. The problem turned out to be related to my loop switcher. It’s a very tight Marshally AIAB. Great mid gain crunchy pedal. I couldn’t get it to clean up with my volume knob. The Rat went back on in that slot for now. I ordered Ethos TWE-1 to fill the Angry Charlie slot... The AC sounds great boosted by the BD-2. Very good combo for sure! A classic pedal by Boss no doubt. Congrats!

13. bluesholyman

I currently don't have this pedal - think I moved on from it to get something else a little while after I made the original post - that period of time saw a lot of pedals come and go for me as I was experimenting a lot. Still a great pedal though and I have often thought about getting one again.

I have a Boss SD-2 on the board right now which is a very similar pedal in function (2-in-1, low gain/ higher gain) but the sounds are obviously different. I will get this pedal again, just a matter of time.

14. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

I have one. I really like it.

I accidentally dropped it and bent the selector knob slightly, but works fine. Tried to straighten it out best I could so not too noticable.

Drove me nuts for a bit. I originally bought it not just because it was great, but also as a collector.

Congrats!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.