NPD: Boss DS-1 40th Anniversary on the way...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Dec 11, 2018.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I'll have to look. From what I can tell, the 40th Anniversary edition is through-hole component, not SMD. Guessing they just changed the paint job, used blues driver knobs (gold center) and charged $10 more to recoup paint tooling costs and the "silver" screw.

2. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

Yes, the Anniversary edition still has through hole components, it's the stock version which has been changed to SMD. I still don't know if Boss has changed any other pedals to SMD construction other than the DS-1 and BD-2 since they changed those two a couple of years ago. It would seem that if they have changed those they may be planning on doing the same to other popular Boss pedals.

Here's the source of my info:
    http://stinkfoot.se/archives/3203
    Al

3. bluesholyman

It has arrived!!!! Lightly used, but I got a good deal on it.

IMG_0905.JPG

4. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Pretty sure the SD-1 got changed, too.

This pic below is BD-2 on the left, and DS-1 on the right (just for anyone's curiosity).

[​IMG]

It's almost funny how the interior is mostly empty now.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  5. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I love the stock DS-1 (t least the one I got ~2004) and will defend it till the day I die. I agree you'll want to play with it to see what works for you, and especially with keeping the tone knob before noon (though I was only using single-coils at the time; never tried a stock one with humbuckers). I was going through a big John Frusciante thing at the time, and the DS-1 paired with my Strat was perfect (though I understand the closest pedal John used was a DS-2). It also let me hang with my best friend's metal-guitar-into-metal-amp distortion tone while remaining distinct.

I eventually got my DS-1 Kelley-modded, and I love it even more now. It has a more "natural" sounding loud-amp-distrtion sound, and has more usable (for me) tone and distortion knob settings. The two modes are really cool, too. One I would describe as a crunchier, more "airy" tone (something AC/DC-like being about the middle of that range), the other sounding more gainy and compressed. I'm not sure, but I don't believe Keeley is modding other people's pedals anymore. But his DS-1 mod was popular enough at one time that they're probably not hard to find used. If you like the idea of the DS-1 but aren't convinced by the stock version, this is one mod you might want to look into.

Now what would be really cool is a way to switch modes mid-song. That or a Kelley-mod-style DS-2.

6. 11 Gauge

The MXR Custom Badass '78 distortion is basically a DS-1 with the Keeley mod, TTBOMK. You can still get those brand new for ~$80. Also, the Vox Satchurator is basically a DS-1 with the Keeley mods too, IIRC. While Vox discontinued that one, you should have no problems picking one up used, and for cheap. Long story short is if that's the sound you want, you don't need an actual DS-1 to get it.

Also, DIY mods for the DS-1 are probably the most common and well-published, and that includes the Keeley DS-1 mod.

7. bluesholyman

The DS-1 is interesting, especially in that it seems to lack mids. Got me thinking that it will work better with a Marshall than a Fender, but still wanting to try to make it work...still experimenting with it to see what I can get out of it...

8. 11 Gauge

If the mid scoop doesn't work for your particular setup, the good news is that it's just four components at the tone stack. Typically, you need not worry about the two of them for the bass/low pass part, unless the low end is just too excessive. That means that you can increase the value of either the cap or resistor in the high pass filter, to simply bring down the frequency of the cutoff shelf, so that there's less "void" between the bass and treble filters.

...If the bass is a little too extreme, you can do the same thing for one of the two components for the low pass/bass filter at the tone stack - either decrease the resistor or cap value.

I actually have a real fondness for the tone stack in the DS-1/Big Muff. It is VERY malleable for all sorts of different purposes, and a little tweak goes a long way. IMO, it's especially effective for mid to higher gain applications.

bluesholyman likes this.
  9. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

You address that mid scoop with your Outlaw Mod that I love so much, the mod changes it to a broad mid enhancement instead of a scoop. I love that modded pedal!

bluesholyman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.