NPD: Boss DS-1 40th Anniversary on the way...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Dec 11, 2018.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I have never been much of a Boss fan, but after transitioning to a '59 Bassman LTD, I have increased my like of Boss dirt pedals from 1, the OD-3, to no less than 2 now - the SD-1 being my latest favorite. Maybe I got a gem, not sure, but I like what it does over the TS-9 any day.

Will the DS-1 make a Trifecta? I hope so. I had a lot of trouble bonding with a Rat, although its a good sounding pedal, there is something about the sound that just wasn't my thing. So I searched for another distortion pedal and the DS-1 seems it might work, against everything I have chosen to believe about it in the past. Even if I don't like how it sounds, I much prefer it in black than the "fire orange" color of the normal DS-1.

We'll see how it goes...

RetroTeleRod and blakestree like this.
  2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

To me the DS-1 sounds best run into a already crunchy amp or into another dirt pedal.

I didnt like mine at all until I figured that out. It can sound like a can of bees or like creamy butter depending on how it’s used.

Now I like them so much that I own two of them. I “might” try modding one of them just for grins.

blakestree likes this.
  3. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

I used to really dislike DS-1s but admit that they work better with some amps compared to others. It’s smart to keep the tone knob below noon, as the pedal can be harsh and very bright otherwise.

However, the right mod can make it a FANTASTIC pedal. I paid the $5 to get the pdf of the Machine Head Pedals Outlaw Mod instructions for the DS-1 and it basically fixed everything I didn’t like about the DS-1 without changing the inherent character of the pedal itself. It still sounds like a DS-1, but the distortion is smoother and the buzzy highs and mid scoop are gone. Pdf was $5 and the eight (I think) components I ordered were only like $10. A friend and I did the mod in about a half hour and that was with a lot of farting around. Someone more determined than us could get it done in 15min.

So if you dig the pedal as is, fantastic, but if not, give the Outlaw Mod a chance, it’s brilliant and so easy there’s no reason NOT to do it.

4. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Man. I miss that thing. I should pick one up.

JustABluesGuy and bftfender like this.
  5. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

I have four! I've thought about removing two of the diodes in my 2014 Taiwanese beater, just because it's so easy and to make it sound more different than the others. But, it is my most used DS-1. And, I love the sound of it already. And, I don't wanna change the way it clips... (It could use the volume boost, though.)

[​IMG]

6. bluesholyman

Yeah, Keith does great work - I might have to give that one a shot. Don't have time to do mods much these days, but if I can't find a sound I like, I might just do that...

7. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

It’s literally 7 or 8
    components, so it’s a very quick mod. The finished product is one of the best distortion pedals I have and easily beat my Wampler Pinnacle.

8. bluesholyman

Know of any comparison videos?

9. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

I used a DS1 from 83 to 93 without a second thought. Hadn’t used one since then until I was given one about a year ago. For some reason I now struggle to bond with it. My pedal board has a Fulldrive 2 and a Mesa Throttle Box that give me the drive/distortion tones I need.

But as others have said, getting the settings and amp matching right is probably crucial to avoiding the wasp in the jam jar effect.

10. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

That sound is why I like it.

blakestree likes this.
  11. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Unfortunately no. However, there are a few sound samples on the MHP website. I would also say the description on the site of what the mod does is very accurate as well. I had a stock DS-1 and my Outlaw Mod to directly compare and I would say the mod adds a broad midrange to the eq of the pedal, smooths out the distortion just a little bit, and makes the tone knob more useful on the whole. The modded pedal still has a good aggressive quality to it like a DS-1 should and the decent bass that a DS-1 naturally has is also intact. It’s basically what a DS-1 should have always been. It doesn’t radically change the sound as much as remove all the warts from the stock version.

bluesholyman likes this.
  12. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I love the ds1. I have an orange one and the 40 anniversary. The 40th anniversary is in its box. The ds1 stacks beautifully with the blues driver pushing the blues driver into a different distortion than it usually gives.

As has already been said wind the tone back. And the gain at somewhere between 12 and 2 o’clock. See what you think with those settings

leonard d rock and bluesholyman like this.
  13. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

one of my newer mods for the ds1 is to change one of the clipping diodes to a yellow LED, not a red Led. to me, it doesn't change the clipping characteristics so much as to just clarify the clipping tone but it doesnt change the feel IMO

14. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

The anniversary model looks very cool! Congrats.

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

In the golden age of Pedaldom , I don't even know why it still exist, but if you like it, more power to ya.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Orange is the new black. And the old black, as concerns DS-1's, in my book. I've never understood the buzzy can of bees stigma. I'm not sure how it would have to be set to sound like that. It's the best MIAB (or maybe Plexi in a Box) in my book.

blakestree and JoeNeri like this.
  17. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Boss seems to give their drives and distortions much more sizzle and dirt than most players would use. Keith's mods trim the fat and give you a lot more useful range on the controls. A few years ago, I contributed a video of his Parole Mod (also available as a $5 PDF) to the MHP site. You might try comparing it to a stock DS-1 with the same settings to get some idea.

More recently, I've been playing an updated version of Keith's Fairlane Mod for the DS-1. The FM is inspired by the OD250, Dist+, Ross distortion etc. This one's got a little more gain than the original FM and some new tweaks. Should be available soon. It's another winner for me.

I've got no problem with the stock DS-1. It's a classic but these modded versions suit my playing better.

18. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Funny how the so-called, perceived buzzy-ness of the DS-1 bothers some players, but the much buzzy-er Rat doesn’t get the same criticism. Max out any distortion pedal and it’s gonna be buzzy. It’s called “distortion.”

I love the DS-1.

dlew919 and blakestree like this.
  19. bluesholyman

You know, I have never found the Rat to be buzzy "can 'o' bees" thing but I could see how someone might feel that way about the DS-1.

This is probably the best comparison I have seen of these two pedals and I think for me, the rat has less low-end and more mids than the DS-1, where the DS-1 seems to focus its grind/crunch in the lower and upper frequencies, but not as much the mids. I like the perceived fuller sound of the DS-1 over the Rat and thats the main reason I am giving the DS-1 a shot. I don't think I really understood that until I watched this video recently:

20. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

If you're going to buy a new DS-1 to mod, be careful as the ones made for the last two years are SMD construction, more difficult to mod unless you know how. Same for the latest version of the BD-2, SMD on a tiny board. I don't know if they have changed any of the other popular pedals to SMD or not, but those two I know are changed. There may still be new stock out there of the older (than 2016) pedals that still have through-hole components.
    Al

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.