1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NPD: Boss CP-1X compressor

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by D_Malone, Oct 21, 2020.

1. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I’ve never found much use for a compressor pedal with my amps, but I recently got a Two Notes CAB M (loving it) and have found that a compressor pedal is a useful tool when going direct.

Compressor pedals I’ve recently had;

Keeley Compressor Plus
    MXR Custom Comp Deluxe
    Origin Cali76 Compact Deluxe

They are all nice pedals, but the CP-1X is my favorite, and I’m keeping it.

I’ve owned the Boss OD-1X, which employs the MDP technology, and while it wasn’t my cup of tea, the technology impressed me, so I thought I’d give the CP-1X a try.

The CP-1X is, by far, the quietest, most transparent compressor pedal I’ve ever used, simply put.

Check it out!

2. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've been a CS-2 user for years. It's really more of a limiter at low settings. I just got a Mooer Yellow Comp to try out, and all I can say is that it's a lot more squish than I'm used to.

codamedia, paulblackford and D_Malone like this.
  3. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I prefer subtle compression, felt more than heard, and the CP-1X at lower settings feels great.

I owned a CS-2 a long time ago, and I remember it being a fine pedal. Couldn’t say how it compares to the CP-1X.

Daytona.57 and Phrygian77 like this.
  4. fredwrites

fredwrites TDPRI Member

5. Bluesbrother777

Bluesbrother777 TDPRI Member

I’ve been using CP1X for the past two years. It’s an amazing piece of technology and I cannot hear the “digital” at all. What I can hear though is studio quality compression for dummies. Meaning I don’t have to be a compressor professor to get FAT lively ringing tones without even a clean blender.

6. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

I have CS-2, CS-3 and CP-1X. They all have their place and all sound great with the right rig.

Daytona.57 and RetroTeleRod like this.
  7. 53Strat

53Strat Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Another happy CP-1X user.

When my Wampler Ego packed it in I bought the Boss and find it the quietest and least complicated compressor.
    I still like the Wampler and the MXR Dyna comp when I want to colour the sound though. However I have neither of those pedals on my board. :)

D_Malone likes this.
  8. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Meister

This is my new favorite. From my bass kit but works great with guitar too. image.jpg

funkysoul likes this.
  9. Telewielder

Telewielder TDPRI Member

Been using the CP-1X for over a year now. Awesome piece of gear. Makes everything sound better!

michiganguitar and D_Malone like this.
  10. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats! Happy NPD.

D_Malone likes this.
  11. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

New used Boss CP-1X, today, I swapped out a Diamond compressor, and gave it a go.

I mainly, got it the Boss CP-1X for slide, as I liked the videos, it retained a lot treble.

I was using my normal slide setup, Barbershop V2, (Archer Ikon), Boss CP-1X, Tuna Melt, Diamond Counterpoint delay, Extra Faux Tape setting and Boss RV-3 reverb/delay, and was quite pleased, with the full clear highs with a lot of growl and sustain.

I added another delay and a Boss CS-2 at the end and this was acting like a limiter. I still need to experiment more, to fine tune the compressors, but I am liking the results.

I had a chance to play with the Boss CP-1X, this morning and I played slide with the Boss CS-2, at the end and it added a lot tof sustain for the Gilmourish type sound.

I then found a Boss CP-1X setting, with the 1st and last controls at 1:00 o'clock and the rest at noon, that I left always on, to enhance the tone, for cleans, crunch, distortion and leads. I am very impressed by this compressor and thinking of parting ways, with my Diamond compressor, (sacrilege).

Slide demo starts at 14:03 minutes.

Edit: update content and add video.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 11:32 AM
  12. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

I've done a lot of reading in his site but 1rst time I see one

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  13. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

The Boss CP-1X is the quietest, most dynamic and full range comp I've had. It's been on my gig board for several years and sounds excellent and is easy to dial in. I like it set closer to limiting than compression squash, and it is capable of that as well.
    Only my Carl Martin comp comes close but it picks up interference in certain situations and it's large. 2019-10-31 14.52.52.jpeg I still like my Dyna Comps, Guyatone, CS-2 and Wampler, but the Boss CP-1X goes to all the shows.

Daytona.57 likes this.
  14. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Congrats!

Does it do multi-band or is it only compressing the entire signal as a whole?

15. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

Multiband, aka MDP (multi dimensional processing).

bluesholyman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.