NPD Bootstrap Original Recipe

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by grim83, Aug 9, 2020.

1. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

I traded into a Fender FSR telecaster deluxe a while back (basically a mim standard with an ash body and ashtray bridge) and have been quite smitten with it. I also got it right before Fender announced they would no longer be using ash on factory guitars, so that makes it even cooler to me.

Any who while i like the stock mim pickups I figured id like a different flavor and I have been really wanting to try out bootstrap pickups so this was the perfect chance. Ryan (owner of bootstrap) has been great to deal with answering emails in a timely manner and the wait (while unbearable due to anticipation) was not too long at about 2 weeks between ordering and delivery. Also I love the look of the raw nickel cover on the neck pickup.

The neck pickup is glorious and easily steals the show for me. It is very open and warm sounding with no mud. It reminds me of the fender pure vintage 52 neck in my other telecaster but better. I can spend hours on this sound playing jazz or blues or just strumming the cowboy chords.

Overall this is a great set regarless of price. If I had to describe what i think of when people talk about a blackguard telecaster this set really nails it (disclaimer i have never played a real black guard, just going off of recordings and hype) the bridge is twangy but not overly ice picky and the middle is wonderful as well.

My only gripe on these pickups is I would have liked for the bridge to have a bit more grunt. I prefer a bit more of a muscular twang but there is nothing wrong with the stock one from the set. I may order a custom one from Ryan wound a bit hotter, if i get around to it.

Overall though I highly recommend bootstrap and Im sure the rest of the line is great as well (I do have plans to buy a few more sets as well as that other bridge). Plus you couldnt beat these prices with a louisville slugger.

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ryan is great to work with and winds awesome pickups! If you want a little bit more grunt, you might like the Pretzel bridge pickup.

nojazzhere, Treehouse and Bella like this.
  3. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

Im debating between the pretzel or something custom like an a3 mag flat poles and wound a bit hotter than the or say 7.5-8k while retaining the 42awg wire.

On a side note I am more of a gibson guy than fender and Ive always hated how turning down the volume on a tele makes it very flat sounding. So on a whim this afternoon I opened the guitar back up and switched the wiring around to 50s lp type wiring. Oh my god there it is. Now i can actually ride the volume pot and it doesnt become super flat. The only down side is it seems to "smooth" the eq out some and has brought the twang factor down a bit. It sounds great but it makes me nervous to go for a more burly pickup with less inherent twang. Decisions decisions.

Treehouse likes this.
  4. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

For anyone curious here is the diagram that got my attention. It does work wonderfully but does change some of the voice I associate to a tele.

Attached Files:

zippofan and Treehouse like this.
  5. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

I’m about to pull the trigger on a set of Original Recipes for my new surf green Bullet Tele. Also thinking about that raw nickel cover.
    My CV 50s Strat came with the AlNiCo III pickups, and I really was taken by the clarity and tone.
    Glad you like them- I’ve been reading all the posts about Bootstrap, and Ryan and company seem to be the way to go for almost anything-
    Maybe I need a set of “Lakesurfers” for my VM Jazzmaster now!

6. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

Just installed his Vintage Pros in my American Stratocaster and loving all the stratty goodness.

When I ordered, his site said there was a two to three week build que..... but I had them in my mailbox in nine days!

7. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Congrats!

Just got my Stratocaster set,
    I'll have installed this week

8. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr Tele-Meister

Sounds like a winner! If the "Original Recipe" is this good, I can't wait to try the "Extra Tasty Crispy" set! ;)

68Telebass likes this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Another firm vote on the Pretzel bridge p/up here. I'm pretty ignorant on things like magnets, flat poles, wire size......all I know is what my ears tell me. I've never been a big fan of a Telecaster bridge p'up on its own......just too brittle and abrasive. The Pretzel still has definite presence and authority, but without the harshness I usually hear. Try the Pretzel....you already know about Ryan's great customer service and quality, I don't have to "sell" you on that. A Pretzel bridge would probably be around $25-30, (guessing) Excellent value for the money.

Treehouse and BB like this.
  10. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

If you reduce the value of the green capacitor, it should let more high frequencies through (more tele-like). You may need to try a few values to get the tone you want.

11. branbolio

branbolio Tele-Meister

Is the Bootstrap site still down for folks? It is for me and was supposed to be up and running yesterday.

12. Bootstrap

Bootstrap Tele-Meister Vendor Member

It’s still down, but I’m working on it right now.

nojazzhere, 68Telebass and emisilly like this.
  13. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Holic

50's style wiring. I like it, though volume drops with tone rolled down.

14. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Holic

Alternately you could use a treble bleed.

15. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

Seems Ryan was listening, because now you can go "Extra Crispy". Should make a nice middle ground between the Original Recipe and the the Pretzel.

https://bootstrappickups.com/collections/t-style/products/bootstrap-extra-crispy-for-tele®

nojazzhere, zippofan and Bootstrap like this.
  16. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I just installed both Original Recipe Tele pickups and very pleased... very open and bright. I've always liked A3 magnets. I especially love the neck pickup... it's almost Strat-like, and balances very nicely with the bridge. I gotta admit though, I'm intrigued by that new Extra Crispy bridge option. Hmmm.

nojazzhere, 68Telebass and emisilly like this.
  17. tho618

tho618 TDPRI Member

I recently got a set of of original recipes.
    One of the best bridge pups ever for a vintage Tele bridge tone.

18. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

OMG!! You’re HERE!!

Just saw you were “open” again and ordered my Original Recipes IMMEDIATELY!! But now I had to think long and hard...Extra Crispy??? Lol

I went with my original plan, and got the originals- (yes, I have a plan..sort of...). Just love the AlNiCo III s that came in my CV 50s Strat.

I also saw that you have a LOT more options now including bass pickups!! So cool!!! Thanks!! Carl :)

19. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

To handle the problem with the smoothness and lack of punch with this wiring scheme, try using a no-load tone pot and a smaller cap. I use either a .01 or .015 instead of the standard .022 or .047. Also with a smaller cap the tone knob doesn't affect the volume near as much as with the bigger cap.

20. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr Tele-Meister

garrett likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.