1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NPD...Bogner La Grange

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bftfender, Mar 7, 2019.

1. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

All i can say is wow..it is all the buttons i would ad to my marshalls to dial in. Main reason was to make my clean jtm45 to bluesbreaker-light plexi gain..mission accomplished in spades..and radical radical high gain applications. Bonus..cleanest purest boost i ever had..was bumping everything on my board,not a pedal guy, got a Friedman Runt for the purpose of messing with my pedals. I did very careful research after learning my amp before to deciding to build on tone..instant EQ change allow for 3 dif marshall clean platforms under it. Have all my pedals out & homemade board apart..adding tier & rewiring for as many of pedals can fit, Always will use gain channels of amps but man is this fun to go from Modern metal to AC/dc to claption.to roots rock n roll by a few flips of switch..This plexi pedal def performs in the Marshall circuit & Friedman is the cleanest amp ever..not 1 dot of noise laGrange (2).jpg with this pedal screaming into it !! Its like having precise control of a plexs..variac & blend is so cool.

2. johnhe

johnhe Tele-Meister

The clean boost is s lovely round, warm boost. Not too bright and harsh. Really lovely authentic sounds. Happy new pedal day!

bftfender likes this.
  3. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

How well does it clean up with the guitar volume control? Will it do the chimey Hendrix sound?

I hope they make a mini version of it. I don't think I need the boost.

4. bftfender

putting it through its paces..i mainly got it to jtm45, have all the med to high gain covered..it does it well, with variac on you can drive harder without harshness.The boost is the most transparent i ever experienced..used it on other pedals..very clear..just more of..which is what i like on a boost not a coloring. You clean up with guitar vol..i am old school Marshall so the only way i know how to play is big fat rhythm on 5ish edge of breakup 7 & dime for leads..yes it does clean up..you have 3 gain stages..jtm-plexi-800ish & up..the controls are all interactive just like a plexi & if you have a 4 holer the blend knob does a pretty good job of it,I would say into a Marshall circuit it is the most precise control i ever had..just did strat & SG both classic sounds can come out of it.this pedal is a weapon to a Marshall player

5. bftfender

yes...def a more "of" pedal..

6. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I'm pretty happy with my dirt situation right now, but I've always wanted to try this pedal. A local shop has one in stock. It's all I can do to resist. Don't need it, but I want it. :cool:

bftfender likes this.
  7. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Well, I couldn't resist. I picked up a La Grange.

The good: I've dialed it in for a killer Malcolm Young-ish sound. Cleans right up if I pick softly, or roll back the guitar volume. It's got chime, growl, and kerrang, depending on my touch. Very impressive. I'm hitting it with an overdrive for more distortion. Really responds like an amp.
    I can't wait to use it at rehearsal, that's always the true test.

The bad: This thing is a pain to dial in, jeez. The controls are very interactive. Adjust one thing and you have to tweak two others to balance things out. Why a 3-way switch for bass instead of a pot? No control over midrange is a bummer too. You basically have to increase bass and treble to reduce mids. It kinda works, but a mid control would be great.

These are just nitpicks. The pedal sounds friggin great. I'm diggin it.

bftfender likes this.
  8. bftfender

in my case i have a plexi tone to start..so its an accent pedal..i use it to bring into jtm45 territory with the low gain setting. The Friedman Runt responds to this pedal...i use the variac on to kill it a lil then think of the blend knob as left is treble side of a 4 holer & right as the bass side. Take some time, the nuances you might be looking for to customize your sound are in this pedal..congrats..each day it gets easier to hone in

D_Malone likes this.
  9. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Looks good and sounds good, but what's with a single "tone" control, and a toggle for variac? Those seem sort of... idiotic.vDitto the toggle for Presence. I was getting pretty excited until I noticed those strange choices.

10. bftfender

variac(look at my class 5 pic its vvr knob..i can vari the amp)..is when you run a plexi at a dif voltage..the amp reacts way dif..in the case of the pedal..it brings it down a lil & you can really slam it hard with out getting fizzy..think EVH slammin for brown sound Class5d.jpg ..toggle presence..has 3 dif voicings...go from hums to singles with out eq'ing much..basic marshall stuff & why you can hone in with them in the mids like no other.."idiotic"..pretty stupid term to apply to a tone weapon

11. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Oh I know, this thing has many great sounds in it, just gotta learn to work with the controls.

bftfender likes this.
  12. snottyboy

snottyboy Tele-Meister

I picked one up a while back. Just recently got acquainted with it. Excellent tones and great range of tones. Agree that maybe it would be nice to have independent bmt controls, but I can pretty much get the tones I want. It also feels good to me, which is where so many pedals fail. Seems to work well with a range of amps. I prefer a cleanish Timmy after it for boosting instead of its own boost. Gets me more dynamic and control over the tone with the boost engaged. The LG boost is pretty transparent but does seem to add mids to my ears.

bftfender likes this.
  13. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I've got a pretty good handle on the controls now and I'm loving this thing. I have it set for low gain, just a bit of hair. It sounds and feels like a JTM45. Nice and jangley, but will growl and snarl when I dig in. I hit it with an OD for more distortion and it just roars.
    I don't often get excited about pedals. I'm usually just content to find something that actually works for me, but this thing is really great.

bftfender likes this.
  14. bftfender

nice..me too..its like the pedal that just fixes things in tone and outs the edge wherever you want it..glad you are having success with it. jtm45 no doubt..its so cool to have that for an option on clean channel. The more i think about it..a jtm45 is that fat,raunchy rock tone i been searching for.

D_Malone likes this.
  15. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Thought I'd add to this thread rather than start another.

I recently got an Ernie Ball jr 25K volume pedal to use as an expression pedal to control the gain and it works very nicely. Very consistent sweep. The only downside is that you get no sound with the pedal all the way down (same as turning the gain all the way down). My plan is to replace the pedal's stopper with a taller one so that it stops at a low gain setting.

16. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

La Grange is a great sounding pedal. But just wait until it quits working. I've had mine for almost a year and now the on switch doesn't work. When stepped on all sound disappears. Nothing at all. When I switch it off then the boost side works. After checking online in different forums this seems to be an ongoing problem with Bogner pedals. Bogner charges are, to me, too expensive to send it back for repair. I bought mine used so no warranty but it did work for all the time I've had it. But, no more. I did try flipping the switches around and have the same results. May not be the switch after all but still no go. Now it's the most expensive boost pedal I have. Not good enough for that kind of money. And when I tried Bogner's "support" section on their website I got this page. I may try their email but I'm just about fed up with it.OK, my rant is over. Thanks for listening. Sorry Bogner, but I'm done with your products. :( upload_2019-4-9_21-0-55.png

17. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

That's a shame. I have read about the switch issue. I've also read that they fixed the problem at some point. Mine is new and I bought it from an authorized dealer, so I'm not too concerned, but if I were in your shoes I'd feel exactly the same way.

18. johnhe

johnhe Tele-Meister

The La Grange is probably the most natural, authentic sounding MIAB I’ve owned. But I ended up selling it because I really wanted a pedal where I could adjust the mids a little.

19. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I wish it had standard B/M/T controls too. There's definitely a bit of a learning curve with the controls. To my ears the tone control affects upper mids and the blend control affects treble. Bass can only be controlled with the structure switch, which is not ideal in my opinion.
    I get that they wanted the controls to mimic a Marshall, but it really just makes it less intuitive than standard controls.

20. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Older thread but how does the boost sound at close to unity volume on its own? Does it add any gain/crunch at all? Or is it just totally clean? So funny they advertise the independent boost as a feature but not one of the idiot demos, including the bogner one, take even a few seconds to show it by itself. Thx!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.