NPD: Blackstone Appliances

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by the tool, Jul 18, 2018.

1. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

This one has been on my wish list for many years. I never had the lust to order it new just to try it, but finaly one came my way in the used marker wich is very rare in sweden. It will take me a few days or a week before i can try it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

zippofan, RetroTeleRod and BBill64 like this.
  2. 52BIGSBY

52BIGSBY Tele-Meister

I never knew there were internal trim adjusters. I have wanted to try one of these for a long time myself.
    Enjoy.
    Richard.

the tool likes this.
  3. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Tele-Meister

Love the "STOP OBSESSING & PLAY YR GUITAR" stamped on the board.

Bill likes this.
  4. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Hehe yeah...
    it will remind me to stop adjusting those pots back and forth

5. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have a couple of those and they are my favorite overdrive. Let us know how you like yours.

I use mine with clean amp settings and get my dirt from the Blackstone.

6. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

With my telecaster it really sounds great, both channels. The pedal really does something nice to singelcoils. It fattens the tone and gives the bridge pickup more bottom end in a good way. I had to turn down the treble pot a little, worked well with guitar tone on full with the brown channel. Om the red channel I roll off the guitar tone.
    The Eq to me sounds best at noon or full "flat".

I've tried many dirt pedals, but nothing like this. Its a "difficult" pedal for sure. My thinking is that, this is a piece of gear that is for those who plays guitar into amps, not guitar into pedalboards. Those who feel their amps like they feel their feet or hands. I know that sounds weird, but I think it has to do with the pedals way of working with the gain.

Turning it to the buffered mode, it instantly transformed into a common od/distortion, a sound I heard so many times before in other pedals. The difference is most obvious in the red channel. The normal "reactive" mode is where this one shines. The term dynamic and attack sensitive is in this pedal truly amazing.

So far I feel It shines at low gain, dial it in so its in unity with amp, and brown channel just so that it breaks up when playing soft and rolled off volume. Thats where this pedal is fantastic. Higher gain settings boosts the lows to much to my ear. It doesn't get muddy, but its not as pleasing to the ears as more mid focused OD is. The red channel drive needs to be set for singlecoils or Humbuckers. But there should have been a bass cut pot for the high gain range.

With my Ibanez guitar, with higher output humbuckers I don't like it, the guitar and pedal is fighting each other. I might be biased from trying my tele first though. But my initial feeling is that I would only use the Blackstone with my tele.

So... the summary would be that im holding on to it for now. I will mostly use it at home straight into amp. It won't go on the pedalboard, wich is the stuff I use with my Ibanez.

7. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I pretty much have had the same experience as you. Loving it as the only pedal between a Strat or Tele or ES-347 into a ‘66 Deluxe Reverb. Now that all my tube Fender amps are in storage I got a Fender Mustang III modelling amp. I use the 65 Deluxe Reverb model and plug my Blackstone into that. It adds back that nice reactive tube amp response that was slightly missing from the modelling amp.

the tool likes this.
  8. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Always thought they looked like fun. If it's good for a Tele, it's good for TDPRI.

9. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Yup, this pedal does not like buffers before it.

10. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Exactly, in ”reactive” mode.

Turning the internal switch to ”buffer” it works great after any form of pedal. It looses its sensitivity and behaves/sound like a cheaper type of overdrive/distortion pedal. The sound is very familiar, most pedals sound this way.
    Its definitively usable, it still has its own character, but its nothing like the ”reactive” mode straight after guitar.

11. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like external trim adjusters.

Looks pretty good inside though, real components, not SMDs.

12. Teleka

Teleka TDPRI Member

I had trouble dialing it in, and was getting a thin, brittle tone on the yellow channel. I found this on TGP and it worked really well for me:

"Many say they don't like the RED channel and/or find the pedal hard to tweak. Having used it for a couple of years now here is the set up I found that seems to work really well and personally I LOVE the RED channel for high gain. Hope this is usefull in some way, it is done using a totally clean sound on my amp....

1) Set EQ fully clockwise, all the way on.

2) Set RED Gain full ON, play and set Red Volume about the same as bypassed.

3) Set YELLOW Gain straight up (12 O'clock) and Volume the same as bypass.

4) Open pedal, turn on back.

5) Set small switch in upper left to BYPASS (sounds better but very sensitive to anything between guitar and pedal!).

6) Turn RED channel on and tweak the GAIN trimmer in the lower right full on...will sound like crap..then back it of very slowly until you get a sweet high gain lead sound.

7) Tweak TREBLE trimmer all the way up...sounds like crap...slowly turn it down to taste.

8) Switch to YELLOW channel and tweak TREBLE trimmer if needed (not likely).

Now you have a great strong Marshall like lead sound on the RED channel that responds really well to guitar Volume and the Yellow channel Gain can be set fully off for slight additional hair, 1/2 way for medium grind and above for higher gain. Set channel volumes to taste!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.