NPD: Big muff

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by NorthenLights, May 9, 2021.

1. NorthenLights

NorthenLights Tele-Meister

I made a thread the other day complaining about bit being able to score any deals anymore, and that it felt like I had lost my gear buying game. Well, apparently all is not lost, cause today I scored a Big Muff Pi for 30 bucks! It's the big box style, with an LED and mini tele power input jack. Not sure how old it is, but I would guess late 90s - mid 2000s.

The seller said it was broken, and he hadn't plugged it in for over 10 years. I thought that 30 bucks is worth the shot to see if I could fix it. So I open it up when I come home, can't see any obviously wrong with it. I try plugging it in, and what do you know? It works perfectly! No idea why he thought it would be broken. I didn't even had to change the battery.

This pedal sounds huge. I've never used fuzz very much, so I haven't too much to compare with bad my god, no gear demo can do this box justice. It screams! Unity volume is with the knob about 8 or 9 o'clock, probably the loudest pedal I have ever come across. Tone knob is really versatile, and takes the tone from thick and wolly to broken and spitting. And the gain knob can be set for almost infinite sustsain like it's nothing! I'm a bit overwhelmed actually. This is probably old news to you long time muff fans out there, but everybody has a first time.

Only problem I have is that it is really noisy with single coils, even when lowering the volume. Are there any fixes ti this?

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

The only thing that helps noise is a noise gate...I personally love the big blue Rocktron HUSH...since you already have a huge fuzz pedal, they’ll match in size...

3. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I had one in the '70's/'80's dunno what ever became of it, was fun

4. JustPlayItLoud

JustPlayItLoud Tele-Meister

People go ballistic over vintage Muff circuits, either original units or reproduction but the Big Muff NYC models sound fantastic! I think they’ve been largely unchanged tonally since the revision Fran Blanche made before she left EHX to start Frantone and I think the same circuit is in the Little Big Muff, Nano Big Muff, Big Muff with Tone Wicker, etc.

I have the same big box with the folded metal enclosure and I agree that it sounds as massive as the box indicates!

northernguitar likes this.
  5. Doomguy

Doomguy Tele-Meister

You got the best fuzz in the business. Have fun with it. My Big Muff Pi is my most used pedal. Can't help you with the noise issue though... I love all the noise and the feedback.

6. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

What's the amp?

edit - Whoops, have I disqualified myself and deleted the comment , missed that it was an 'old' big Big Muff!

Nonetheless, amp make/model could be a factor, can you try a different one?

7. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

Congrats! The BMP is a definite classic.

8. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Love that flutey, infinite-sustain a Big Muff creates on big, guitar-hero solos. Step on it and step back!

NorthenLights likes this.
  9. NorthenLights

NorthenLights Tele-Meister

Only got one amp at home now a 20 w tweed clone. It sounds just fine with humbuckers, but with single coils it's extreme.
    Weird though. My strat is sn HSS with splitable bridge hb. When split, I get what you'd imagine, lots of noise in position 1,3 and 5, and no hum in 2 and four. When going humbucker however, bridge + middle position suddenly starts humming like crazy, while the lone middle pickup is dead quiet. Electronics is such a mystery to me.

41144 likes this.
  10. Kungpow!

Kungpow! Tele-Meister

Good score! Enjoy!

I got a black russian muff for 20 bucks few years ago:)

11. Supa Necta

Supa Necta TDPRI Member

I picked up the triangle and tone wicker last week for about $50 apiece at GC. Spent about 10 minutes with each and was loads of fun.

12. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Any idea if your guitar has a dummy coil installed, or if your middle pickup is actually a splittable humbucker? What you describe might make sense if the guitar is wired to split the bridge humbucker when combined with the middle pickup so that it becomes a hum-cancelling pair, and then if the "humbucker mode" just combines a dummy coil with the middle pickup, you'd again have an odd number of coils when combined with the (split) bridge, so it would hum.

The Big Muff has a lot of gain on tap, so it's no surprise you'd get a lot of hum/buzz with single coil pickups. It's not the pedal's fault. Just do as J Mascis does and keep playing over the hum. :)

13. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Huge fan of the Big Muff. I have, well, several, including an old big green Russian Sovtek - paid about $40 for it back in the day and I still have the wooden box it came in - and a newer Ram's Head reissue. The Russian is very cool, with a big, launch-the-missiles footswitch, and has a lower amount of gain. The new Ram's Head reissue is a great pedal. Instant Gilmour tone. (If only I could play like him.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.