NPD - All I Gotta Do is Build It

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
I traded a Mesa Express 5:50+ that I never really bonded with for a Klon KTR. I had no idea what I was missing. It sounds AMAZING! Then I remembered watching a Music is Win video where Tyler played a StewMac Ghost Drive (Klone) side-by-side his original Klon. They sound SO similar I couldn't tell where he switched pedals when I closed my eyes. I built a GGG Blues breaker kit last year, so I figured for $100 I'd give it a shot and see how close I can get it to my KTR.

I will try and build it this weekend, and take some side-by-side recordings of the Ghost Drive and the KTR.

(Tyler's video, just in case)

Last edited:

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
I was planning on painting it white, but I decided to hit it with 1000 grit wet/dry just to see what happened. Sanding kinda “patina-ed” the aluminum. I like this look WAY better than any paint color!
image.jpg

Last edited:

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
I’ll start populating and soldering the board tomorrow, but I figured I’d mock-up the case just to see what it’ll like when it’s finished. I like it.
5C4C877F-B9C1-4EB8-AFE2-DC90E6A1D8CA.jpeg

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I have to say the glut of affordable Klon copies has almost driven me to buy my first overdrive pedal, but building one is always more fun.

A thing I like to do is use old-school Dymo Omega label maker decals to label the knobs. I press them on the raw box, then clear coat over the labels and the box. I've only done it a couple of times and gave them away, so no pics, but it worked well and I think they looked cool.

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
@drmordo I wish I had access to an old dymo omega! This kit comes with sicker labels, but I don’t really like the way they look. I might have my wife use a paint pen on the raw case (my handwriting is terrible), or I might leave it as-is. But an old-school label maker would be cool!

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
And we’re done! One little niggle concerning power, but after a quick swap of 2 wires it works perfectly! It sounds really good! It’s JUST a little different than my KTR, but I really like the tonality. It’s like maybe the mid-hump is in an ever-so-slightly different place, or maybe the GTV knobs need to be tweaked just a hair? It was a fun build, and I think this one will go on my smaller Tele/PR specific board. Tones and comparison to follow in the next day or two.
5490CFB4-6507-45D8-A08E-0424368197F7.jpeg
B2AE05E5-0774-4EF8-A432-737A6F1454E4.jpeg
38895BE1-79F1-4284-8C02-C1A47701D55C.jpeg

fpatton

TDPRI Member
Nice! I got one of the first batch, and there was an error in the documentation for setting up the input jack for the model with battery, but I was able to sort it out fairly easily. They’ve since put out a correction. I’ve never had any other Klon clone, so I don’t know what I’m missing, but it’s a fun pedal!

Fred

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
Nice! I got one of the first batch, and there was an error in the documentation for setting up the input jack for the model with battery, but I was able to sort it out fairly easily. They’ve since put out a correction. I’ve never had any other Klon clone, so I don’t know what I’m missing, but it’s a fun pedal!

Fred
I think I must have gotten the same instruction manual, because that was the problem with mine. Switched around two wires and it worked perfectly.

I've owned several Klones, and I have a KTR. I think I like this one better than the KTR.

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
Quick Update: I "think" I like the Ghost Drive even more than my KTR. It sounds like a Klon, but is more "open". The best way I can describe it is that all the Klones I've tried, and to some extent my KTR, all have sounded like someone put a blanket over the speakers. The Ghost Drive doesn't have that "blanket" thing going on, but has all that Klon goodness. I really like it. A LOT.

I will add a video comparing the GD and the KTR later this week (It's a busy first part of the week).

Last edited:

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
Cool! I have a Rockett silver Archer, and a few years ago one of the fellows on the Burnt Fingers forum hooked me up with the parts for an Aion Refractor, their "klone" board. I used germanium diodes but rolled some different op amps through it, I liked the LF353/NE5532 combo in place of the stock TL072. When I built a mini-Klon from a Madbean board I went straight up TL072's
Klone_complete_12_2020.jpg Klon guts.jpg mini klon complete.jpg mini klon guts done.jpg