(Now with photos) Convert Fender Telecaster American Pro II from 3 to 6 saddles, help

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
Nope. I just found a better picture - the Ultra is three mounting screws at the base, the AP-II is four.
That was already covered in the first page of the thread. OP can use a Deluxe/Elite/Ultra bridge by drilling one additional hole for the center mounting screw. See post #14.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
I'd like a little more control over the intonation has I go up the neck. I play some jazz standards as chord melodies. I'm using 9ths and 11ths often. If that makes sense.

If you take it to get it set up completely you will likely not have any issues with intonation. If you have the same note open and at the 12th fret but say the 3rd and 6th or 8th frets are sharp, you probably need the nut slots lowered and maybe a truss rod adjustment. There are a ton of great Tele players with old straight 3 barrel saddles and same with intonated saddles like yours that play 9ths, 11ths,13ths, Diminished whatever all day long while being in tune.
It's your guitar but maybe give it a chance as is.
Sorry for the unsolicited opinion.

Rumy73

TDPRI Member
If you take it to get it set up completely you will likely not have any issues with intonation. If you have the same note open and at the 12th fret but say the 3rd and 6th or 8th frets are sharp, you probably need the nut slots lowered and maybe a truss rod adjustment. There are a ton of great Tele players with old straight 3 barrel saddles and same with intonated saddles like yours that play 9ths, 11ths,13ths, Diminished whatever all day long while being in tune.
It's your guitar but maybe give it a chance as is.
Sorry for the unsolicited opinion.

Yes, fair point and I am not bad with setups. We will see.

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
I politely disagree about little to no gain. I do agree it seems like more than a hassle. Some things are an easy swap and others turn out to be involved.
I don’t have any experience with three saddle bridges. But I do love using the six block saddle design of the ultra bridge and would probably be unhappy with a bridge that didn’t let me precisely adjust intonation of each string exactly how I want it. Why compromise? Seems worth an extra mounting hole to me.

The radical change in saddle design will affect your tone though. Presumably those who stick with traditional style bridges are looking for traditional style tone.

Last edited:

Crobbins

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
At one time I used this brass bridge on one of my Teles years ago. Made by Mitey Mite.

tcPmnIA.jpg

Last edited:

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
I use to use this brass bridge on one of my Teles years ago. Made by Mitey Mite.

tcPmnIA.jpg

That one won’t fit the OPs Tele either. I’m sure Fender had good design reasons to switch the orientation of the mounting holes and string holes. But I’m also realizing that the change means that most (or all?) non-Fender aftermarket bridges will not work on modern US made Teles.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Hello fellow pickers,

Please kindly lend your expertise! I would like to convert my American Professional Pro II from the stock three saddles to six saddles. I'd like to add the modern brass saddles like ones on the Elite/Ultra. Would someone kindly share a link or provide a product name that I can order? I'd like a simply swap out and in, rather having to do any "surgery" on the guitar.

Thank you for your help in advance. Happy holidays, too!

Rumy

EDIT: photos of my bridge. Note it has six holes in the bridge that appear one can use for top mounting strings. I am wondering if I could use those same holes for six saddles, thereby keeping the existing bridge?
I did it on two Fender American Professional Tele 1s and I believe the Profeesional IIs have the same bridge so it should be doable. I think one was a Kluson replacement and the other a Gotoh. Don't remember if the mounting holes matched up or if the tech I took it to had to drill new mounting holes or not, but the pickup position, string holes and saddle locations line up perfectly. If new mounting holes need to be drilled the new bridge will cover the old holes and vice versa if you replace the old bridge later.

https://www.kluson.com/kluson-conte...ster-with-brass-or-steel-saddles-details.html

https://g-gotoh.com/product/gtc202/?lang=en

TeleBridges.jpg
AmProTeleRd.jpg
AmProTeleSb.jpg

Last edited:

Tuxedo Poly

Friend of Leo's
Another comparison image to try to clear up the confusion.
Cotoh modern and Fender vintage bridges have the same screw fixing and string-through hole locations relative to the bridge pickup. They are different to the Fender American Standard, Deluxe, Elite and Ultra and do not fit these models. The relationship between the string-through holes and the bridge pickup rout is different.

Bridge_Compare_Gotoh_Fender.jpg