(Now with photos) Convert Fender Telecaster American Pro II from 3 to 6 saddles, help

Rumy73

TDPRI Member
Hello fellow pickers,

Please kindly lend your expertise! I would like to convert my American Professional Pro II from the stock three saddles to six saddles. I'd like to add the modern brass saddles like ones on the Elite/Ultra. Would someone kindly share a link or provide a product name that I can order? I'd like a simply swap out and in, rather having to do any "surgery" on the guitar.

Thank you for your help in advance. Happy holidays, too!

Rumy

EDIT: photos of my bridge. Note it has six holes in the bridge that appear one can use for top mounting strings. I am wondering if I could use those same holes for six saddles, thereby keeping the existing bridge?

768mheh.jpg

oiBMlEP.jpg

Last edited:

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Count the number of screws under your saddles on the existing bridge. Then find a bridge with that number of screw holes that says it fits US teles of X year, and if it's got the same # of holes, you're good.

Rumy73

TDPRI Member
Thank you. Why would I have to replace the bridge? Can I not remove the existing saddles and add the new ones? The bridge has holes for a 3 and 6 saddle set up, or at least appears to.

BobbyMac

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
This genuine Fender part should work without any modification to your guitar.

https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-6-saddle-vintage-telecaster-bridge-assy-0990810000/

Fender-6-saddle-Tele-Bridge.png

This one from AllParts will also work without modification, and is less $$ than the Fender part.

https://reverb.com/item/2376792-allparts-6-saddle-bridge-for-vintage-fender-telecaster-nickel

zm0gwxdvmncqudal5mch.jpg

Compare the string spread width of any new 6-saddle bridge you are considering to the bridge you have now to make sure its in the same ball park.

Rumy73

TDPRI Member

BobbyMac

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
It looks like the Gotoh "modern" 6 saddle bridge in your link should work on your guitar without modification. I was thinking that you wanted to stick with the "vintage" style bridge plate like the one that is on your guitar presently.

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
Is this your bridge?
9E16B3E2-F9D5-410C-AEB9-CAA2275F2A79.jpeg

If so, I don’t think the Gotoh or any of the other suggestions above will work. On your bridge, the string holes are north of the mounting holes. On the other bridges, the string holes are south of the mounting holes.

I hope someone comes along with a solution or says I’m wrong. Because from what I’ve read, it is hard to find a six saddle replacement for the Am Pro bridge

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
This genuine Fender part should work without any modification to your guitar.

https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-6-saddle-vintage-telecaster-bridge-assy-0990810000/

Fender-6-saddle-Tele-Bridge.png

This one from AllParts will also work without modification, and is less $$ than the Fender part.

https://reverb.com/item/2376792-allparts-6-saddle-bridge-for-vintage-fender-telecaster-nickel

zm0gwxdvmncqudal5mch.jpg

Compare the string spread width of any new 6-saddle bridge you are considering to the bridge you have now to make sure its in the same ball park.
There are others on eBay. Do a search for 6 saddle vintage bridge for Telecaster.

Here's one on reverb.com with brass saddles:

https://reverb.com/item/5022621-telecaster-vintage-style-bridge-with-6-brass-saddles

x6bdgxkzw0jormvu0zb9.jpg

I’m sorry but you are completely off. The Am Pro guitars do not have a vintage bridge configuration. They are a completely different design with the mounting screw holes behind the string through body holes, not in front of them. See the picture in post #11.

Tuxedo Poly

Friend of Leo's
The solution is fit an American Standard/Series or a Deluxe/Elite/Ultra bridge with 6 saddles. The American Standard/Series pre 2008 is similar to the Delxe Elite with block saddles and offset intonation screws. You will have to drill one extra hole.

Fender part numbers may help in your search
American Standard/Series pre 2008 part number 0990807100
American Standard post 2008 part number 0075108000
American Deluxe part number 0077657000

Fender_Am_bridge_compare.jpg

Extra screw hole between the two holes marked in red

Fender_Am_Pro_Bridge_Fixing.jpg

Rumy73

TDPRI Member
Is this your bridge? View attachment 931781
If so, I don’t think the Gotoh or any of the other suggestions above will work. On your bridge, the string holes are north of the mounting holes. On the other bridges, the string holes are south of the mounting holes.

I hope someone comes along with a solution or says I’m wrong. Because from what I’ve read, it is hard to find a six saddle replacement for the Am Pro bridge
You nailed it. It seems that I'm limited here.

Rumy73

TDPRI Member
Any particular reason for the swap? I don't own one but the stock setup looks to be a solid design and of course you are under no obligation to explain to anybody!:)

I'd like a little more control over the intonation has I go up the neck. I play some jazz standards as chord melodies. I'm using 9ths and 11ths often. If that makes sense.

Rumy73

TDPRI Member
The solution is fit an American Standard/Series or a Deluxe/Elite/Ultra bridge with 6 saddles. The American Standard/Series pre 2008 is similar to the Delxe Elite with block saddles and offset intonation screws. You will have to drill one extra hole.

Fender part numbers may help in your search
American Standard/Series pre 2008 part number 0990807100
American Standard post 2008 part number 0075108000
American Deluxe part number 0077657000

View attachment 931808

Extra screw hole between the two holes marked in red

View attachment 931809
Howdy and hallejuh, you are masterful. I will share this with a luthier because I know nothing about drilling for oil or drilling into my guitar. Thank you!

BobbyMac

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
I stand corrected. Thanks to those who have pointed out the problems with the bridge plates I recommended. I did not see the string hole patterns were different. I was focused solely on the mounting hole pattern. I'm glad someone with knowledge of the subject came through for the OP!