Now this is FUNNY!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It's nice to know where you stand in a given situation.

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Yes sir, I believe you're one hundred and twenty five percent correct!

P Thought and Rowdyman like this.
  3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Speaking of Soviet tales, I rotate through an endless stream of home nurses, who come weekly to give me IVIG infusions. The best of them was Swetlana, who had a full time job as an ICU nurse. "Of course you are" I thought. The ICU nurses are always the best.

She is from the Ukraine, and has this badass fatalistic attitude. Seemingly humorless. (She livened up when talking about other things than the Soviet Ukraine where she grew up).

She told some stories that I'll never forget. To her, these episodes were mundane, normal life difficulties. It is what it is. Not even worth complaining about. No one to complain TO (back there).

When her parents had her, they were living with their parents (like everyone does) in an apartment the size of a closet where nothing is theirs, and nothing works right.

Their life dream was to be granted an apartment of their own. Now, with a child, they could apply. Her father applied the very day she was born.

Eighteen years later, the permit was granted.

Shortly after that was Glasnost, and the government stopped giving out apartments, so they had to leave. And at the same time, their meager life savings was decimated when the ruble was devalued.

Eventually Swetlana gets married, and has a son. Then she gets truly lucky. There is an annual(?) US Visa lottery in the Ukraine. Per township? Not sure how many. And she WON. It's just a visa, but is widely seen as a shoe-in for citizenship, because if they get to come here, no way they'll mess it up.

So, the little family was overjoyed. They'd have to leave their relatives, but could send money, and eventually as citizens, could come back to visit.

Ah, but one wrinkle. The visa form must be filled out correctly, and even though this is one very bright girl, English is not the first language... so there's an enterprising guy who fills out forms for people, for a fee.

Except he's a moron, and only fills it out for her, not her family.

At this point in the story, I interjected with typical US confidence. "Well, surely that can be fixed, right? Just fill it out again, correctly. Talk to the right person."

You're kidding, right? Everyone is too lazy to address it. Everyone is quietly jealous of her luck, happy to see her fail. In Soviet society, nothing is possible.

So, she came alone. Left her family there, and worked like a dog. In five years she got citizenship. Then she could apply to have her son come and live here. But not the husband, as it's not a blood relative of a citizen, I guess. So, the son comes over, and she said he just barely was young enough to qualify for some accelerated citizenship. Another week and he'd have been treated as an adult, and it would have taken another five years. This way it only took two.

Once he's a citizen, and of age, he's able to apply for his father to come. It also might have helped that, like his mom, the son was successful here. He grew up to work at Sikorsky, with a top secret clearance. Now finally, after 15+ years, the entire family is together in the US. Her mom is gone, but her dad comes over for a couple months a year.

Happy ending, but jeez... I've always realized I'm fortunate to live here, but this puts a finer point on it.

4. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

Exactly, if it was all knowing it would know OP is badmouthing electric cars and not interested in electric motors, or it would know I already bought the thing it's advertising to me and it's a thing you'd only ever buy one of, or it would know I don't even fit the demographic, or any of the other insane mistakes the adbots make.

5. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yep.... very typical to some of the stories I've heard and not just the moron, the "fee" must be paid all the way up the chain. Bribery was the only way to get things done, or you'd be left out or worse.... say something against "them" or complain and you'd disappear, that sort of thing. That's the way I understand how things worked :confused:

Timbresmith1 and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I might incriminate myself. :eek:

7. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

Remember, one of Google’s corporate pillars is: Don’t be evil. :lol:

My former company’s Moscow office had much the same vibe. They even had a company apartment in which you stayed. And said, “No guests. We will know.”

Neural network with an inference engine comes pretty durn close.

Toto'sDad and JL_LI like this.
  8. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

It’s surely a step in that direction…

9. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

Much further than a step, IMO. Experienced in designing and implementing such a system for NYNEX in the mid 90s. I’m certain that today’s inferential logic systems leave that work WAY in the rear view mirror.

moosie likes this.
  10. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No Laptop Left Behind

Ronzo and JL_LI like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.