Now the gig is here, I'm in 2 minds if I want to go... Or have you ever not been excited to go to a gig? (Clapton)

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Well, just as I was warming up to the gig…

“Unfortunately, Eric Clapton has to postpone the concert in Zurich at short notice for health reasons. The artist contracted the coronavirus while on tour and is therefore forced to postpone the concert in Zurich on May 17, 2022 and the concert in Milan on May 18, 2022. Eric Clapton would like to catch up on the concerts this year. Management is working flat out on the replacement data. All tickets remain valid and the dates will be communicated as soon as possible. Eric hopes to resume touring with the Bologna performance on May 20, 2022. He is on the mend and sincerely apologizes for having to disappoint his fans.

Eric Clapton is unfortunately suffering from Covid having tested (and still testing) positive shortly after the second concert at the Royal Albert Hall. He has been told by his medical advisors that if he were to resume traveling and performing too soon, it could substantially delay his full recovery.

So, after intensive internal discussion, it has been decided with great regret and apologies to all those concerned to postpone the performances in Zurich on 17th May and Milan on 18th May, the present hope being to be able to resume the tour starting with the concerts in Bologna on 20th and 21st May.”

All very ironic as one of the reasons I’ve not been keen on him recently was his outspoken stance on COVID and how it wasn’t a real risk etc…

This gig was initially meant to be in 2019 too but they are still refusing refunds on a 200+Euro priced ticket.

Not to debate the merits of vaccination or anything like that, but most of the venues I’ve been around since 2020 have been pretty hardline about people being vaccinated if they’re going to be inside the building, and given Clapton’s public stance on that I’d imagine it may make it hard for him to tour.

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
Now been rescheduled for October this year. Guess I have time to think this through again! ><

Amusingly, I am now seeing The Black Crowes and Clapton within 7 days of each other - should be a fun week!

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
So I was a huge Clapton fan back when I was a teenager - mainly Cream, Blind Faith, and the Dominos. LAOALS is to be honest in my top 2 favorite albums of all time. I liked 'Journeyman' and 'From the Cradle', but other than this I can take or leave his 'new' stuff.

A friend and I bought tickets to see Clapton in 2020, he was meant to have Derek Trucks and a few other special guests, but it was cancelled. Twice. The gig is now in 2 weeks time - my mate who I am going with is super stoked, but I jut can't get excited for the gig somehow. I have had a look at the band he put together, and it's ok, but nothing really stands out.

He seems to be mixing accoustic and electric sets, and even though Andy Fairweather-Low (a fellow Welshman who I think is awesome) is there, I am 'hmm' - I think I heard Unplugged just too much back in the day.

A sample of the Electric set:

Am I just being grumpy? I don't know, and it's always been an ambition to see Clapton, but listening to the clip, I am somehow not excited. I think maybe in part it's due to his Fender tone, it just seems overly compressed and artificial somehow compared to the old days (in fairness all mid boosted guitars do to me), or to when he's playing a Gibson.

Ever been in the same situation, eg not wanting to go to a gig you were initially stoked for?

Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon. 😟

I felt the same about The Stones in 2017, and it was probably the best gig I've ever been to - hopefully this wil turn out the same.

"Better to regret something you did than something you didn't do!"

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
Well, fate seems to have made the choice for me… and Clapton has pissed off a lot of people!!

The concert was canceled AGAIN!! Apparently his band weren’t available for the 7th October… so he has rearranged to the week after when they could show up….!! You’d think he’d have checked before announcing the new date last month. 🫤

Now it’s on the same night the Black Crowes are in town!! Zurich is pretty short in terms of larger venues, so to have a big act come to town means a lot of people book. This clash has really annoyed people, especially as the gig was initially meant to be in May 2020.

I personally know ~20+ people who have tickets for both and are very displeased with Clapton about the new date, and now have to choose between the 2 shows.

Not only has the gig been canceled 4 times, they are also not offering any refunds on tickets unless you took out the expensive insurance at the time of sale!!!

For me, I just sold the Clapton tickets at face value and am all in for the Robinson brothers!!

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's

Friend of Leo's
Personally I'd go just to see Andy. Great player in his own right (see him most years with his Low Riders)
Clapton used Andy for years as his wingman and, in answer to another comment, he does exactly what Eric wants.... same as all the years he was MD with Waters too.

As for seeing Clapton .... time moves on, how many more times will he/Macca/Stones etc turn out?

blueruins

Tele-Meister
I can relate to some of this. Purchased tix for a Robert Cray date later this year. I think Cray’s a wonderful songwriter and soloist with a mature and unique voice on his instrument.
As of late he’s been on the wrong side of a lot of public debates, even going so far as to end his friendship with Clapton because Eric had an adverse reaction to an experimental medicine.
Clapton having been a big supporter of Cray’s since early in his career it seems to me a very petty and shortsighted stance.
I will be going to see him with the expectations that I will hear some garbage from a bitter person.
These old guys won’t be around all that much longer and catch them while they’re around.

Last edited:

LocoTex

Tele-Afflicted
I'm a HUGE Clapton fan, but.....

Went to see him in '77.....severely drunk and played around on stage more than he played Blackie.

Saw him again around 2007-2008, thought it would be different since he had been sober for so long. Great band, but boring show. He just doesn't always bring it.

Fuelish

Tele-Afflicted
foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
Better to go and think 'meh' than not go and then regret it...
Yup......did that with BB King (oh, tix too much, next time around) and SRV (next time around) ....skipped them, now there is no next time. On the other hand my wife's friend back in Detroit convinced us to see The Cult in a theater in Detroit with her.....I was dreading it, never dug them...however, Lenny Kravitz opened for them, and he blew the freaking roof offa the joint, he was great, so, turned to be a (halfway) great show

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
I can relate to some of this. Purchased tix for a Robert Cray date later this year. I think Cray’s a wonderful songwriter and soloist with a mature and unique voice on his instrument.
As of late he’s been on the wrong side of a lot of public debates, even going so far as to end his friendship with Clapton because Eric had an adverse reaction to an experimental medicine.
Clapton having been a big supporter of Cray’s since early in his career it seems to me a very petty and shortsighted stance.
I will be going to see him with the expectations that I will hear some garbage from a bitter person.
These old guys won’t be around all that much longer and catch them while they’re around.

Many folks would say Cray has been on the right side of certain public debates of late, and that many of Clapton's old friends, other than Cray, are also confounded by EC's recent actions.

But I wouldn't let any of that stop me from seeing either of them, and I'm so glad that I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan just a few months before his death, and BB King not long before his. If you enjoy their music, just set aside whatever personal views they have that you may agree or disagree with, and go enjoy the music. People are complicated, and we all have different views that can change over time.

Last edited: