Now the gig is here, I'm in 2 minds if I want to go... Or have you ever not been excited to go to a gig? (Clapton)

MatsEriksson

Friend of Leo's
I had the opposite situation in regards to a Clapton concert (1973?). I was beyond stoked and he showed up drunk and played half sitting on a stool. George Terry carried the night. I am sure you will have a much better experience.
I was at his first premiere tour (first gig from his 2 year stint in rehab) in Copenhagen in 20 June 1974. Same lineup, but stone cold sober. It was rumoured that both George Harrisson and Mick Jagger would show up to "help" him out and "celebrate" his comeback. They hyped it in the newspapers, when the rumours spread, but none of that happened. He was well rehearsed, and took charge and owned the stage. Somewhat shy and anonymous in his voice, but no flubs or fluke. Reviews said - mostly - "Clapton back in form" but his singing voice still needed some mileage to be on par with the rest. George Terry was great but held a backseat anyway. It was just a few years later, when he torued again and a lot, when I got fed up with him and thought he got too boring because then came his drunken years, those with Gary Brooker on vocals, and Albert Lee guesting on a few posts. End of 70s beginning 80s. Went downhill and then I thought his music was all lackadaisical in all aspects. I guess I just moved on. The band was the "legendary" lineup Dick Sims, Carl Radle, Yvonne Elliman, Terry, Jamie Oldaker etc etc...

i was stoked too, but 14 years old, I always was whomever I saw a concert with...

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
Not here (and the rest of Europe probably too) 'gig' is the common colloquialism for 'rock/pop concert' (that you are either going to or prehaps playing) .. maybe it comes from the common use of 'gig guide' in NME, Sounds, local papers and whatever, which is a list of gigs to go to and nothing to do with playing.

I wouldn't use the word 'show' ever, that sounds too much like 'musical theatre' ... I might use 'concert' if I was talking to my mum.
This is so true. To me, 'show' always implies theatre or pantomime, or something similar.

I do try to remember to use 'show' on here when I want to say 'gig' otherwise it might be confusing, and I can't be bothered to explain.

Just another example of the subtle (and sometimes not-so subtle) differences in meaning of words depending on which side of the Atlantic you find yourself.

Driver3

Tele-Meister
I saw Cream on their farewell tour in Miami...awesome show.
Saw him with Delany, Bonnie and Friends in Palm Beach a couple of years later...worst concert experience I ever had.
Weather was terrible and there were rumors back and forth the show was cancelled. It was outside at the Palm Beach Dragway.
Ended in a traffic jam from people turning around based on these radio rumors and the Palm Beach sherrifs dept saying the show was cancelled.
Sherrifs came over in a helicopter and said best way there was to walk...the road was completely impassable.
It was 13 miles to the track.
Stood in knee deep water from the storms.
Clapton was 2 hours late and not in very good shape.
Luckily got a ride back to the car afterwards.

BryMelvin

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I've never beenn to a Clapton show and few others. My Military career gave me an oportunity to go to shows of people I didn't even really follow.
I had Ronnie Milsap on my plane taking him and others to an Air Force Aid Charity event. He invited me to the show.

Drinking during Crew Rest at a Hotel in Frankfurt we ran in to Bryan Adams and were invited to his show the next night.

Enjoy the show when you have an opportunity.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
I have no interest to see Clapton anymore. The last time was around 2014 or so. I still love the Bluesbreakers, Cream, HOwlin Wolf, Layla etc sessions. I kept up with through the 90s but his later stuff no longer interests me.

Then again, there's really no one (in their present state) that I would want to see.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I saw Clapton in the '80s, it was a great concert! These days though, I have absolutely no interest in paying money to see him in person. 🤷‍♂️ I would say that I started losing interest in him in the late '90s and any interest in seeing him in concert was completely gone by 2000. I honestly don't think I have a single CD, album, or any trace of his music in my collection anymore.

Jimclarke100

Friend of Leo's
When it happens go.
It’s always going to be better than sitting at home watching inane tv. And it’s always going to be better than wishing you had seen him.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
Yes I have been in that situation and it makes me very anxious. I'm not offering any advice on Clapton because I've never been much of an EC fan.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Honestly, Eric has been having serious health issues, and this may be your last chance to ever see him LIVE! I'm pretty sure they will put on a top notch show. He may not be the player he was 40 years ago, but he's been very focused the last 8-10 years (I've been told) For reference, I can still remember having 2 tickets to see Chicago, and my (former playboy bunny) date stood me up! I was REALLY bummed and wasn't going to go! But at literally the last second, I went anyway by myself. It was Terry Kath's very last show! (before he accidentally killed himself) I've always been a HUGE Terry Kath fan, and that night the venue happened to be only partially full, so I was able to sneak up from the 30th row to the 2nd row, directly in front of Terry (maybe 8 ft in front of him). I would have never forgiven myself for skipping that show, and I still think fondly of it to this day! That said, Go to the show! It's worth a roll of the dice, and I'll bet you'll enjoy it! :)
I’ve never really been much of a clapton fan, but there are a number of musicians who were getting on in years that I’m glad I got a chance to see before they died. Most recently, it was Rocky Erickson.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Not here (and the rest of Europe probably too) 'gig' is the common colloquialism for 'rock/pop concert' (that you are either going to or prehaps playing) .. maybe it comes from the common use of 'gig guide' in NME, Sounds, local papers and whatever, which is a list of gigs to go to and nothing to do with playing.

I wouldn't use the word 'show' ever, that sounds too much like 'musical theatre' ... I might use 'concert' if I was talking to my mum.
In the US, “show” is what people who often attend musical events call them. “Concert” makes you sound like a square or like an undercover cop trying to bust the basement/warehouse show.

“Gig” seems mostly used here by people in the punk scene who are taking it on as an affectation, like ladder lacing your boots or flipping people off with two fingers instead of one.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
The reservations about going make sense to me. There are many "living legends" who have been touring and performing for decades and they sometimes let it show. The novelty and hunger starts to fade and getting on stage in front of thousands of people becomes just another day at the office.

I don't blame them at all. I've been doing my job for over 20 years and not every day is a performance I would want recorded. ;)
I saw Dick Dale about six months before he died and it was pretty apparent he was past his prime. He was still a great entertainer but his style of guitar is pretty athletic and he was having trouble bringing it and he was making mistakes on surf standards that most of the guitar players in the audience wouldn’t have had a problem with.

I’m still glad I went, not the least of which is because a friend of mine who isn’t super into live music loved going to see him and we went together every year up until that last show.