Now the gig is here, I'm in 2 minds if I want to go... Or have you ever not been excited to go to a gig? (Clapton)

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
Not here (and the rest of Europe probably too) 'gig' is the common colloquialism for 'rock/pop concert' (that you are either going to or prehaps playing) .. maybe it comes from the common use of 'gig guide' in NME, Sounds, local papers and whatever, which is a list of gigs to go to and nothing to do with playing.

I wouldn't use the word 'show' ever, that sounds too much like 'musical theatre' ... I might use 'concert' if I was talking to my mum.
It's always interesting how people in other places say things. A lot of people around here might say concert but I generally wouldn't.

Concert always seemed too formal for rock (or any other popular music) to me. Funny how opposite two people can view the same thing.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
It's always interesting how people in other places say things. A lot of people around here might say concert but I generally wouldn't.

Concert always seemed too formal for rock (or any other popular music) to me. Funny how opposite two people can view the same thing.

No I agree with that.... 'Concert' sounds like a classical music concert, very formal sounding .... likewise I wouldn't call a performance by the London Philharmonic a 'gig' either. 😅

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
If you're a big fan, you should go. We tend to regret things we never got around to doing. Keep an open mind to it, relax, and enjoy yourself.
You never know how many more opportunities you may get to see him in concert. And at any rate, he's not going to be getting younger and more energetic.
+1. I have seen both BB King and Willie Nelson NOT in their prime, BB sat the whole show. But I so glad I got to them before they died, even if they weren't in "top form."

mark64

TDPRI Member
So I was a huge Clapton fan back when I was a teenager - mainly Cream, Blind Faith, and the Dominos. LAOALS is to be honest in my top 2 favorite albums of all time. I liked 'Journeyman' and 'From the Cradle', but other than this I can take or leave his 'new' stuff.

A friend and I bought tickets to see Clapton in 2020, he was meant to have Derek Trucks and a few other special guests, but it was cancelled. Twice. The gig is now in 2 weeks time - my mate who I am going with is super stoked, but I jut can't get excited for the gig somehow. I have had a look at the band he put together, and it's ok, but nothing really stands out.

He seems to be mixing accoustic and electric sets, and even though Andy Fairweather-Low (a fellow Welshman who I think is awesome) is there, I am 'hmm' - I think I heard Unplugged just too much back in the day.

A sample of the Electric set:

Am I just being grumpy? I don't know, and it's always been an ambition to see Clapton, but listening to the clip, I am somehow not excited. I think maybe in part it's due to his Fender tone, it just seems overly compressed and artificial somehow compared to the old days (in fairness all mid boosted guitars do to me), or to when he's playing a Gibson.

Ever been in the same situation, eg not wanting to go to a gig you were initially stoked for?

Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon. 😟

I felt the same about The Stones in 2017, and it was probably the best gig I've ever been to - hopefully this wil turn out the same.

You should go. Years ago I saw him and he had Derek Trucks and Darryl Bramhall plus Robert Cray as an opening act who later joined him onstage. It was really well done. All the guitarists trading solos back and forth with no one hogging the spotlight. You could feel the vibe, they were all in the groove and having a blast. With live music you never know when you will see a lifetime performance. Besides, what would be doing that will be better than live music?

USian Pie

Tele-Holic
The reservations about going make sense to me. There are many "living legends" who have been touring and performing for decades and they sometimes let it show. The novelty and hunger starts to fade and getting on stage in front of thousands of people becomes just another day at the office.

I don't blame them at all. I've been doing my job for over 20 years and not every day is a performance I would want recorded. ;)

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Big former fan of EC from Cream to the more recent stuff. I liked Unplugged as well as anything he ever did. Good to see AFL is back. EC's done some great concerts over the years, but no longer brings the big group I dont think. (backup singers, horns etc) Last I saw him was maybe 2018? Disappointing show at the end of his tour. I think he was worn out.

Fading older stars seldom "bring it" . I respect the ones who really do.... too many make a feeble attempt at even trying. I dont think Willie Nelson has sung an entire verse to a song in 20 years. Still, you gotta love him for who he is.... BB got the same way.

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
Big former fan of EC from Cream to the more recent stuff. I liked Unplugged as well as anything he ever did. Good to see AFL is back. EC's done some great concerts over the years, but no longer brings the big group I dont think. (backup singers, horns etc) Last I saw him was maybe 2018? Disappointing show at the end of his tour. I think he was worn out.

Fading older stars seldom "bring it" . I respect the ones who really do.... too many make a feeble attempt at even trying. I dont think Willie Nelson has sung an entire verse to a song in 20 years. Still, you gotta love him for who he is.... BB got the same way.
I saw Willie about 6-7 years ago. Must have gotten lucky because he was in fine form and sang all the hits. Great show!

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
Well, just as I was warming up to the gig…

“Unfortunately, Eric Clapton has to postpone the concert in Zurich at short notice for health reasons. The artist contracted the coronavirus while on tour and is therefore forced to postpone the concert in Zurich on May 17, 2022 and the concert in Milan on May 18, 2022. Eric Clapton would like to catch up on the concerts this year. Management is working flat out on the replacement data. All tickets remain valid and the dates will be communicated as soon as possible. Eric hopes to resume touring with the Bologna performance on May 20, 2022. He is on the mend and sincerely apologizes for having to disappoint his fans.

Eric Clapton is unfortunately suffering from Covid having tested (and still testing) positive shortly after the second concert at the Royal Albert Hall. He has been told by his medical advisors that if he were to resume traveling and performing too soon, it could substantially delay his full recovery.

So, after intensive internal discussion, it has been decided with great regret and apologies to all those concerned to postpone the performances in Zurich on 17th May and Milan on 18th May, the present hope being to be able to resume the tour starting with the concerts in Bologna on 20th and 21st May.”

All very ironic as one of the reasons I’ve not been keen on him recently was his outspoken stance on COVID and how it wasn’t a real risk etc…

This gig was initially meant to be in 2019 too but they are still refusing refunds on a 200+Euro priced ticket.

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
So I was a huge Clapton fan back when I was a teenager - mainly Cream, Blind Faith, and the Dominos. LAOALS is to be honest in my top 2 favorite albums of all time. I liked 'Journeyman' and 'From the Cradle', but other than this I can take or leave his 'new' stuff.

A friend and I bought tickets to see Clapton in 2020, he was meant to have Derek Trucks and a few other special guests, but it was cancelled. Twice. The gig is now in 2 weeks time - my mate who I am going with is super stoked, but I jut can't get excited for the gig somehow. I have had a look at the band he put together, and it's ok, but nothing really stands out.

He seems to be mixing accoustic and electric sets, and even though Andy Fairweather-Low (a fellow Welshman who I think is awesome) is there, I am 'hmm' - I think I heard Unplugged just too much back in the day.

Am I just being grumpy? I don't know, and it's always been an ambition to see Clapton, but listening to the clip, I am somehow not excited. I think maybe in part it's due to his Fender tone, it just seems overly compressed and artificial somehow compared to the old days (in fairness all mid boosted guitars do to me), or to when he's playing a Gibson.

Ever been in the same situation, eg not wanting to go to a gig you were initially stoked for?

I felt the same about The Stones in 2017, and it was probably the best gig I've ever been to - hopefully this wil turn out the same.

Go to the show, especially if you haven't seen him. I last saw him on the From the Cradle Tour, which was spectacular. Before that it was the Journeyman tour.

It's not going to be Cream or D&D as you know but, I am sure you will hear the greatest hits of those bands since he seems to keep playing them.

Besides, who knows how much longer he will be doing it? He's not getting any younger and neither are you.

teleplayr

Friend of Leo's

Same here!

Especially when he had Phil Collins produce his albums. They sounded horrible!

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
I thought OP title meant '...ever not feel like PLAYING a gig?...'
My answer is YES, but for another thread

Exactly. Going to a gig means you are playing. The OP should have been worded as going to a show.

That aside, the last time I tried to go to a Clapton show, we got there and it turns out the show had been cancelled but we hadn’t heard.

(This was in LA a few years ago.)

lowatter

Tele-Holic
Clapton has always been a favorite of mine. I only saw him once in Tucson while I was stationed at Davis Monthan in the Air Force.

March 27, 1979: Eric Clapton Marries Pattie Boyd. It was during the Slowhand album era. Best concert I ever saw. Harrison was his best man(kinda weird) and did a few encores with him near the end.​

If I had the opportunity, I wouldn't hesitate to see him again regardless of his line-up.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
To the OP, I tend to agree with what you're saying about some of his stances, but when it comes to artists, I separate what their personal views are, from what their music is. Besides, people are free to have whatever opinion they wish, and I'm not going to hold it against them if they don't agree with what I think. In fact I have some views now that are very different from what I had 20 or 30 years ago. I've also never seen him be preachy about anything at a concert, he's usually pretty subdued and just plays. I know he had one incident in the mid-70s where he was drunk on stage and said some stupid stuff, but that's the only time I've heard of that happening. Has anyone here not said something stupid when you were young and drunk?

JJLC

Tele-Holic
Every time I go to see a show I always try to keep an open mind and leave any expectations at the door.

Every show will be different even if the artist is the same. I saw Eric Johnson play 14 shows over a 29 month period and believe it or not, Eric is not a robot.

Last time I went to see Jeff Beck I didn't know he was gonna have a vocalist (Jimmy Hall). I had never seen a Beck show with a vocalist. It was the BEST Jeff Beck show I have ever enjoyed!!

Just go to see Clapton, enjoy it, and leave your expectations somewhere else.