Now the gig is here, I'm in 2 minds if I want to go... Or have you ever not been excited to go to a gig? (Clapton)

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
So I was a huge Clapton fan back when I was a teenager - mainly Cream, Blind Faith, and the Dominos. LAOALS is to be honest in my top 2 favorite albums of all time. I liked 'Journeyman' and 'From the Cradle', but other than this I can take or leave his 'new' stuff.

A friend and I bought tickets to see Clapton in 2020, he was meant to have Derek Trucks and a few other special guests, but it was cancelled. Twice. The gig is now in 2 weeks time - my mate who I am going with is super stoked, but I jut can't get excited for the gig somehow. I have had a look at the band he put together, and it's ok, but nothing really stands out.

He seems to be mixing accoustic and electric sets, and even though Andy Fairweather-Low (a fellow Welshman who I think is awesome) is there, I am 'hmm' - I think I heard Unplugged just too much back in the day.

A sample of the Electric set:

Am I just being grumpy? I don't know, and it's always been an ambition to see Clapton, but listening to the clip, I am somehow not excited. I think maybe in part it's due to his Fender tone, it just seems overly compressed and artificial somehow compared to the old days (in fairness all mid boosted guitars do to me), or to when he's playing a Gibson.

Ever been in the same situation, eg not wanting to go to a gig you were initially stoked for?

Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon. 😟

I felt the same about The Stones in 2017, and it was probably the best gig I've ever been to - hopefully this wil turn out the same.

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
If you're a big fan, you should go. We tend to regret things we never got around to doing. Keep an open mind to it, relax, and enjoy yourself.
You never know how many more opportunities you may get to see him in concert. And at any rate, he's not going to be getting younger and more energetic.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
The mix of acoustic and electric sets has been standard for Clapton for a long time. I first saw him like 20 years ago and he did that.

Fairweather-Low is a good player, but he doesn’t tend to light Clapton up that much. If you’re picky about your Clapton experience (and it sounds like you are), then this is probably not the tour for you. If you can get in the mindset to enjoy it for what it’s worth, then you’ll enjoy the show.

The worst show of his that I’ve seen was still a pretty good performance.

Wildcard_35

Tele-Meister
So I was a huge Clapton fan back when I was a teenager - mainly Cream, Blind Faith, and the Dominos. LAOALS is to be honest in my top 2 favorite albums of all time. I liked 'Journeyman' and 'From the Cradle', but other than this I can take or leave his 'new' stuff.

A friend and I bought tickets to see Clapton in 2020, he was meant to have Derek Trucks and a few other special guests, but it was cancelled. Twice. The gig is now in 2 weeks time - my mate who I am going with is super stoked, but I jut can't get excited for the gig somehow. I have had a look at the band he put together, and it's ok, but nothing really stands out.

He seems to be mixing accoustic and electric sets, and even though Andy Fairweather-Low (a fellow Welshman who I think is awesome) is there, I am 'hmm' - I think I heard Unplugged just too much back in the day.

Am I just being grumpy? I don't know, and it's always been an ambition to see Clapton, but listening to the clip, I am somehow not excited. I think maybe in part it's due to his Fender tone, it just seems overly compressed and artificial somehow compared to the old days (in fairness all mid boosted guitars do to me), or to when he's playing a Gibson.

Ever been in the same situation, eg not wanting to go to a gig you were initially stoked for?

I felt the same about The Stones in 2017, and it was probably the best gig I've ever been to - hopefully this wil turn out the same.

I know what you mean. Sometimes the ticket price just seems to be a bit much to justify what is really just four or five dudes playing in a room. I imagine if Clapton is a guy you have been into, it'll be a show you'll dig.

Hopefully he won't be milking the MTV Unplugged thing that happened about 30 or so years ago too hard. If there's a guy onstage dedicated to only playing an egg shaker, it ain't rock'n'roll.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Our heroes are dying. There are far too many I didn't see when I had the chance. The only reason I saw Clapton was because a friend invited me, and it was fantastic. This was around 2007 and he had Derek Trucks and did almost the entire Layla album. Robert Cray was the opening act.

Killer show, and I got to see probly my biggest guitar hero in real life.

Hey_you

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter

You'll be glad that you went.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
White Room clip sounds like they're riding on a flat tire; slow plodding and dull. Mebbe better in person?
What kept me watching was the backup singers. I would've loved to hear that song with him playing a Gibson or Strat with passive pickups and no effects, especially the outro solo.