Now That We're Toning It Down, What To Do With All These Loud Amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by swampyankee, Nov 1, 2019.

1. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

My band played a show once where I saw the venue owners look of sheer horror when we started our first song. He cut the power. My bassist set his bass down and walked off the stage and I was right behind him.
    Somehow or another, the power got turned back on (we did pack the venue) and we played our full set. I hit the drums harder than normal, which is pretty hard to begin with.
    I am with the other people chiming in here, in that when I was booking shows for this band, I would tell people "we are a loud rock and roll band". We never really had a problem other than that one venue, which to be honest mostly hosted hippie-type acoustic music.

2. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

The audacity! The SHEER ARROGANCE!!!

3. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

Back in the early '70's when I started, there were alot of rock clubs and disco dance halls big enough to warrant a 100 watt amp. I bought a Twin Reverb because that was the rig to play those venues. I actually stacked it on my tall Bandmaster cabinet.
    Folk rockers used Deluxes. A Princeton?? That was a student amp!
    I still get to use the Twin for outside gigs where we don't mic the amps and until recently my 60 watt Pro Tube Concert was still useful for venues where you needed volume in a compact package. No more.

"If it's too loud you're too old!" has become "Turn it down or get off my lawn!"

Telecastoff1 and BobbyZ like this.
  4. JukeBoxHero

JukeBoxHero TDPRI Member

Can you guys turn it down, it's too loud in here

Durtdog likes this.
  5. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

playing in a warehouse justifies that kind of amp too.

Tim S likes this.
  6. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Me too.

Lol
    You walked right into that one.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  7. Euphonica

Euphonica Tele-Meister

I advise you to check your jokes for errors before you post... Totally killed it for me!

8. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I play gigs in a craft brewery that's essentially in a big warehouse. It is all hard surfaces everywhere (because that's the style these days) and everything echoes like crazy.
    One side of the venue has giant roll up garage-style doors that are mostly glass. If it's not raining these are lifted up so there's no wall to our left. Even so, the hard surfaces
    still echo like crazy. Bottom line is I actually have to set my volume levels even lower there than anywhere else we play, even though it's one of the biggest venues we play.

Volume is always a big problem for our band, to a significant extent because our drummer hits them pretty hard. If he were willing and we were smart I'd probably get him
    to surround himself in a plexiglass barrier like you see in worship bands, or use an electronic kit. And his drum kit is actually relatively quieter-- it's not a huge rocker's kit by any means.

The other issue is stages have gotten smaller. As a six piece we are often quite challenged to squeeze ourselves on stage.

9. BobbyZ

Fixed it.
    I'm doing dawn patrol now, shift starts at 12:00am, ends at 8:30am. At 3:07pm I'd just awakened, (earlier than I'd like) and hadn't had any coffee, in hopes of more sleep.
    If that killed the joke for you, then I'm seriously glad you don't live here. :)

10. Euphonica

Euphonica Tele-Meister

See, now you're taking it all personally. Why?

11. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Volume has been a problem for me forever, both as a player and as an audience member.

I understand that different types of music have their appropriate volume range. I accept that. But when the volume hurts my ears as an audience member or as a player, I call that too loud. And when the subwoofer feels like a physical assault, I call that too loud.

I don't complain about shows where the music is LOUD by design. I just don't go to those shows. But I do complain when the music is LOUD just because it can be and not because it's the nature of the music itself.

I almost walked out of a Robben Ford show a few years ago. I paid extra for a good seat. But the subs gave new meaning to "kick drum," because every hit felt like a kick in the chest. (Sound people: you don't have to exploit every thumping capability of your tricked-out system!)

By the way, I'm not against volume. Just yesterday I rewired my Deluxe Reverb for higher internal voltage, because the lower voltage setting didn't have enough headroom. (Translation: It wasn't loud enough for me!) But the way I see it, volume needs to be both reasonable and appropriate.

12. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I wrote my thoughts on this and it turned into a rant :(...I thought about moving it to "most disappointing concerts" as a more appropriate thread. But, it's a story about a cover band I heard. That said, I'm debating taking the 2x12 cabinet off my "must have" list.

Rant follows: a year or two ago I received tickets for a highly reputed outfit that does covers of some albums of particular big name bands...in this case, they were doing the Eagles concentrating on the Hotel California album. The venue (200ish seats) was also held in high regard as a good to excellent place for sound. Let me caveat this by saying I saw the Eagles on their Hotel California tour, so I admittedly had been spoiled. To the point---they opened with Hotel California and I could see the guitarists playing the notes while barely (just barely) able to make out some of the highs...the vocals were only a little more audible. The star of the show was the bass guitar competing with some success against the bass drum and remaining drum set in that order. I waited through that ear bleed for one and a half more numbers before walking out. Ridiculous. To this day I wonder if anyone in the band ever gets off stage to QA their sound or if they just assume their sound guy has it in hand? So many of the basics were missed there...sound in the hall, balance between band members, sonic death of the audience members practicing sobriety, and blah blah blah. A rant to be sure, but I'm QAing my sound from time to time and if the sound guy doesn't get it, there are other sound guys. Be gentle, I've had a full pot of coffee and been shopping on Reverb today o_O.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Railway Ritchie likes this.
  13. BobbyZ

I'm not. Didn't you see the smiley face?

This whole thread has turned into almost a political argument. Two sides ranting and not reading what the other wrote. Like when I said I wish I could play louder. Low volume, where they don't want to interfere with conversation sucks. But that's the way it's getting.
    Just look at amp trends. A lot if people are gigging with Princeton and Deluxe sized amps now. I started playing bars in 1982 and never took my Princeton, actually gave it away.

14. Euphonica

Euphonica Tele-Meister

Copy you! Thanks for that. I agree with you about this thread!

Last night I saw a band I used to play bass in. (Zero drama, I was helping a pal get off the ground but it wasn’t my style, and then he found a perfect fit!) When we were playing, we used a loud drummer and big amps. Last night the drummer used brushes on a 2-piece kit, and there was a tiny practice amp for fiddle, a SF Twin for guitar, and a modest genz 15 + some 12-lookin cab.

The Twin had a MV and it was turned down too much to hear well in louder parts. The banjo was utterly inaudible, the fiddle only in quiet moments and mostly high strings, and the drums sounded good. There were *massive* monitors pointed in what seemed like good spots. And there was a sound guy.

They were way too loud to talk over, and yet I could barely hear anything but drums, bass, and vocals.

I wished several times that they’d just used big amps and filled the room. By they way, the place was small. 100-stander-ish.

I honestly think big amps are way better for small shows, where you want to hear the sound coming from the stage itself, rather than monitors to the side. Huge venues make a far more appropriate use of monitors filling the space, since often if sound came from the stage it would be a garbled mess.

Then again, some giant venues are designed to have the sound come from the stage, and for those - only big amps will get you there!!

Telecastoff1 and BobbyZ like this.
  15. mpassell

mpassell TDPRI Member

My primary amp is a Tweed Deluxe clone, and I have to be super careful not to get in trouble for volume. I usually play it on 2.5 (both volumes). The nice distortion on that one which makes it sound louder without huge sound pressure. When people tell me it's too loud, a lot of time it's that they feel that rock and roll sound isn't their cup of tea.

markos and BobbyZ like this.
  16. 72lespaul

72lespaul TDPRI Member

R

17. 72lespaul

72lespaul TDPRI Member

Roland Blues Cube Hot. It’s SS but has a great tube sound, plus attenuator at a good price point. Also lightweight

18. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 Tele-Meister

Just keep your big boy amps and buy an OX attenuator to save your hearing but get the samw sweet tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Johnnykuz

Johnnykuz TDPRI Member

I cut down the size of all of my amp a few years ago. I've now got a Bad Cat Cub IV 15R and a Bad Cat Classic Deluxe 20R, and a little 5W 1x12 Bad Cat Cougar. I also have a PRS Sweet 16+ at 45 watts. These days there's not a venue out there that needs more than 30 watts or so. Anything bigger than that the solution is to mic the amp. The Cub replaced my Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R 1x12 combo which sounded wonderful but weighed 80lbs. My smaller amps are much more manageable to move around and sound amazing. They still get quite loud but they're more than loud enough for my studio or for any gig I'd be playing.

20. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Totally digging my Katana.

grayback and That Cal Webway like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.