Now That We're Toning It Down, What To Do With All These Loud Amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by swampyankee, Nov 1, 2019.

1. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Well... I am doing the opposite way.

I am planning on trading my Bassman LTD for a Twin Reverb... BUT I will keep it at the rehearsal studio or recording. I am getting a ZT for gigging

That Cal Webway and BobbyZ like this.
  2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Just played a brewery gig with my Super Reverb. It was on 2, but it sounded really good. Almost too loud even on 2, and this was outdoors! A Tonemaster DR may be in my future...

3. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

I think the OP plays punk? That looks like somethin' Pat Boone would use..
    Wait, the OP never said what style he plays, but still. I'd much rather set up a champ than a plexi shield.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  4. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

certain styles of music just aren't satisfying if you can't feel the music in your body.

the loudest band i've ever seen?

probably a toss up between swans, mission of burma, or sonic youth. but probably swans.

mission of burma was a little surprising given roger miller's tinnitus.

5. Stax1

Stax1 TDPRI Member

Anyone seen Sunn live? I saw Stephen O'Malley (1 half of Sunn) earlier this year. 8 full stacks on stage + 1 guitar = wall of sound! It was amazing, and really quite a tasteful experience!

6. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Well yeah !
    If you go to a concert you expect it loud!
    I'm not talking about freaking concerts here!
    I'm talking about bar gigs!
    The bars here don't want it real loud. Maybe the last set gets sorta loud but you don't start off loud at 8pm.
    Why is this such difficult of a concept for some people to comprehend?????
    If the bar says don't play loud, you don't play loud. If you ever want to play there again.
    If they want it loud, well that's just freaking fantastic! Play loud, I love to play loud, we all love to play loud. Not a problem.

It's a job, sometimes when you have a job you don't agree with the boss, maybe he's a complete moron. But he's your boss. Wanna keep your job, you do what you're told. That's your job, maybe it sucks sometimes. Put on your big boy paints and do your job. Or look for another one, it's that simple.

7. cyclopean

what? a show at a bar and a concert are the same things. i see live music at bars and clubs all the time. the amount of times you can order a drink without shouting or making a hand gesture are the outliers. bands being too quiet is incredibly unsatisfying to me as an audience member. it's got nothing to do with my ego as a performer.

Owenmoney likes this.
  8. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

A lot of people listen to their radio where they can turn music that was recorded rather loud all the way down to a whisper. Just because you can get quiet AC DC on your radio doesn’t mean AC DC were ever quiet. People have come to believe they can control their entire surroundings with their iPhone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

This made me think of the old Painters Mill Music Fair in Owings Mills, MD, which burned down almost three decades ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...Somehow, I never realized that Duane Allman's last performance was there.

[​IMG]

That Cal Webway, zephyrR1 and BobbyZ like this.
  10. Euphonica

Euphonica Tele-Meister

I just want to say:

“I love the direction this thread took.”

11. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

We all bought big amps because we all figured we'd all be playing stadiums someday.

Might as well hang on to the double stacks. You never know.

bromdenlong, BobbyZ and Dismalhead like this.
  12. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I unloaded my loud (and heavy) stuff about seven years ago. A bar ain't the place for a 100-watt Marshall JCM and a 4 x 12". In fact I only played two places ever where that kind of firepower was even close to appropriate. It was just stupid overkill based my guitar heroes and how I thought I'd eventually be playing arenas (of course); "I'm 25, cocky, and I NEED a Marshall half-stack". What a maroon. Now I've got a Blackstar HT20 and a Vox AC15 as my "big" amps. They're more than enough. In fact, most of my home jamming lately is on my little Champion 20.

BlueStrings likes this.
  13. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

This is why ive moved away from the big fenders that i love like the twin and vibrolux and pro. Im not into attenuators, a master volume is a thing of beauty and much cheaper. I think solid state is getting better and better. Eventually tube amps for me will be cool house toys, but right now they still just have something extra in the feel. Id love to try the tonemasters

Ac15 is just perfect gigging amp for what you normally run into as a hack. I can even get somewhat clean sounds out of it. With fenders youre always struggling to get that natural break up. With the ac15 you have to struggle to keep it clean

BlueStrings likes this.
  14. BobbyZ

Well you'd be real disappointed in a bar around here then. :)
    If you can find one with live music. Used to be hard to find one without live music.
    I love living here but honestly the music scene royally sucks.

15. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

I'm thinking volume is relative to who the band is, as far as local entertainment.
    If you're band has a good following and a commanding presence, then people show up for the show, the bar is busy, and volume isn't an issue. Play as loud as you want because people are there to see you play.
    If you don't have much of a following and you're just playing tunes without much presence, then you're relegated to being background music for the regulars, and the patrons who aren't listening need volume low so they can talk, watch the game, etc.

Our band tended to be the latter. No big personalities there, and although we played well enough, we never generated a big following.

I speak in past tense because, between personnel changes and the frustration of being told to turn up, turn down, put your amp in the backline, etc. it just wasn't fun anymore so I packed it in. I guess I'm more of a go loud or go home type of guy.

Owenmoney and Matt G like this.
  16. cyclopean

where are you? bar sized venues that host rock music i don't want to be around without earplugs is seem pretty common almost every place i go.

17. sgotlieb

sgotlieb TDPRI Member

In 1988 I was a cocky mofo and purchased a JCM800 non-master volume 1987 head and a 1960A quad. Played a Charvel Jackson model 4 through a Rat pedal. Well, it was the 80s. The guitar is long gone but I still have the amp. Can't really use it many places loud any more, even though it's now modded with a Trainwreck type 3 master volume. I also have a Vox AC30C2 w/ Celestion Creambacks. Pretty loud too. Use for the big venues. I ended up building a custom amp for myself. A modified 5F1 circuit (no negative feedback, 8 ohm 10watt OT, modified plate voltages and bypass caps and resistors) inside a Fender Deluxe style cabinet, with a Jensen C12 speaker. Almost any venue we play at it keeps up just fine. Our other guitarists use a Marshall DSL20H/2x12 and a DSL40. I keep up just fine. In fact I'm the one that gets asked to turn down at practice.

black_doug and BobbyZ like this.
  18. BobbyZ

I should change my location, it still says Snellman MN. I'm closer to Lake Itasca now, don't think that's on the map. Nearest "big town" is Park Rapids.
    In the '80s there were still places where you'd hear the band driving by on the highway, in the winter, with the heater on and the windows rollled up. I lived a mile from one place and could hear it in my house. They are were packed every weekend too but it burned down about '85, don't recall how the insurance investigation turned out.
    One place in PR does do rock bands occasionally and it's pretty loud inside but not like the good old days. (neighbors think nothing of complaining now it seems) A Deluxe Reverb easily handles it with a fairly efficient speaker.
    The reality here is if you can't keep it down, you'll be playing at home.

19. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

After having to downsize a few times, my main amp now, is my el cheapo Monoprice "Stage Right" 15 watt EL84 tube amp. Although I do miss the bigger than life sound of the bigger tube amps, this little bugger sounds fantastic, only weighs 25 lbs., and it's loud enough that I can do smaller venues without having to mic it. I mic if I need more than it can deliver. It was an adjustment, but I love it now, and I can carry my axe in one hand, and my amp in the other!
    20191115_170857.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    BlueStrings and uriah1 like this.
  20. Euphonica

Euphonica Tele-Meister

... In your town. Glad I don’t live there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.