Now That We're Toning It Down, What To Do With All These Loud Amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by swampyankee, Nov 1, 2019.

1. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

After being kicked out of so many places because we're too loud, we're finally learning our lesson and turning down.

Problem is, my bigger amps are now virtually useless. My 60 watt Pro Tube Concert was my go-to for small venues but the last time we played out it was barely whispering. And the Twin, well, fuggetaboutit. The next amp down is the Vibroverb RI at 35-40 watts. I'm going to use it tomorrow night but it may still be too loud.

The rest of the pack is all 15-18 watters. It would be cool to tune up the 65 Reverberocket but I'd hate to push it all night.

Do you think I could get away with a SCXD with 12"? I'm thinking something in the 25-30 watt range would be perfect.

Attached Files:

jimytheassassin likes this.
  2. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Either use an attenuator or get amps with good master volumes or power scaling. My main gigging amp lately is a Bad Cat Black Cat which can get insanely loud, but it has amazingly good master volume circuitry and can sound thick and amazing at pretty any volume level.

3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Attenuator. I’ve been using them for decades. I get the tone I want at the volume that is right for the situation. Thank me later.

Kebmel, larsjen, slauson slim and 7 others like this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a "trio" of 15 watters.....a Vox Pathfinder 15R in a cab with a 12" speaker, a Vox Pathfinder 15R in a cab with four 8" speakers, and a Fender Blues Junior III. (stock with a 12" speaker) I've reached the stage that, if I can't keep up with one of those, y'all are TOO LOUD! ;)

jsnwhite619, djh22, Shuster and 3 others like this.
  5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

+15 and 18s
    they can handle it.

studio1087 and scottser like this.
  6. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

This is why I sold my beloved Korg-era AC30 and SF Super Reverb -- too much bulk and volume unless you are playing huge venues... These days, its nothing bigger than a Deluxe Reverb or equivalent, and if that don't cut it, then its an SM57 in front to the board.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Get some less efficient speakers. The VVR if it has original brown speakers isn't very loud

I'm using a 83 Superchamp with 98db speaker I'm forever being asked to turn down.

8. rze99

Shame. Ac30s are great attenuated.

9. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

I still lament selling my 63, but unlike volume, weight and footprint can't be attenuated.

10. rze99

True. My late 60s ac30 has Celestion blues and God it’s a weight.

knavel and DavidP like this.
  11. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

Same here, my Pathfinder 10 with a 12 " cabinet is always enough, if it is not i go through p.a. with microphone.

Anacharsis and nojazzhere like this.
  12. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I have a Pathfinder 15r and a Fender super champ x2 and they have been loud enough for acceptance now; indoors and mic'd.

13. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

It sucks. In the past couple years, I've sold 3 amps that I LOVED, because they were too loud: a 1970 Twin, a 1966 Pro Reverb and an incredibly sounding 1966 Super Reverb. I currently have 2 smaller 1x12 combos, a 16 watt and a 22 watt with an attenuator. They're as loud as I'll ever need.

Last love show I went to, Southern Culture on the Skids, was in a good size club. It used to be a church, built in the late 1800s, and it's a great sounding room. Probably 400 people there. Rick Miller played a SMALL Supro amp, 1x10 or 1x12, miced. I dont know the model, but I'd think it was a 15watt with a 10". Sounded great, plenty loud. PAs are that good now.

My guideline is, can you hear yourself on stage and can you hear all your bandmates? If so, that's as loud as you need to be. I played my 16 watt with the loudest, hardest hitting drummer I've ever heard and honestly, it was NOT enough amp. OTOH, that same amp has been way too much for other drummers. My 22 watt would have hung fine with him. I doubt I ever buy something louder than that.

MrCairo46 likes this.
  14. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I gigged an SCXD thru half a stereo 4x12 for years. Down to a Pro Jr these days...

studio1087 and NewKid like this.
  15. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

I gigged my 62 reverborocket for 2 years in a grunge band. Everything dimed the whole show. Never a problem, I would gig the Ampeg. It won't stay clean at drummer volume though.

16. keithb7

keithb7 Poster Extraordinaire

Yep welcome to gigging. Too loud is a common theme. Was the drummer mic'd? Or just hitting hard to keep up? Big amp prices are down. At least in part due to the reason you mentioned. Too loud. You can sorta see why the Princeton Reverb is so popular.

What to do with your current big amps now? They make nice ornaments in the basement...Seriously though, you should still be able to sell them to an unsuspecting rising star.

17. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

A drum set used normally, without bangn' too hard, is around 115db's or so.

These joke "venues" that blast the Karaoke to ear splitting levels and their house jukebox even worse often have patrons & employees who feel the site of a band is "too loud" no matter what the volume. I've seen it many times.

The bottom line here even the Jazz ensembles I've played in with zero PA gear are "too loud." Horns and drums are loud because they were meant to be that way.

It's just a part of the culture of killing live music. And, we're a long ways from the time when every dude I knew was rocking a half stack, that ended with the 90's.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    RoyBGood, Alter, 8trackmind and 4 others like this.
  18. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Any club with a good P.A. and a savvy soundman should be able to accommodate either way. Actually, a good monitor mix is key.

Can you hear yourself with your SCXD? A competent soundman understands if you can't hear you can't play.

The Princeton Reverb was practically The Official Amp of this years (and allegedly the last) Roots on the River festival. One band used a Vibro Champ. I was positioned so I could hear the monitor mix. I could hear it onstage. I could hear it out front. I could hear it way in the back.

Anyone wants to trade big amps for small... I'll bring the small amps.

19. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yep, sold my Super Reverb. Now only use Pathfinder 15s, mic'd, line out or as is. My wife is a drummer and never had problem.

20. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Get the 65 Reverberocket fixed up. All new electrolytics for starters.
    Did a 65 or so Rocket nonverb for a guy and it's been giggled ever since, 4 or 5 years.
    He just pulled the original CTS and put something more efficient in, bigger shows and a new band.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.