Now that the Classic Series is gone, will Fender continue to make the necks?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TwangerWannabe, Jun 26, 2019.

1. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

I love the Classic 50's Tele neck. Pretty much identical in shape to the previous incarnation of 52AVRI necks that came before the current version. Fairly chunky and full, but not a baseball bat. And for $200 for the poly and $250 for the lacquer version they're a great deal, IMHO. I don't have any projects or builds currently, but wondering if they're going to discontinue these. Would be a shame.

2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The replacement, the Vintera 50s is supposed to have a vintage U shaped neck; hopefully it will be similar to the old Classic 50s, but it might be thicker (like the August 2012 AV necks were thicker than the older AVRI 52 necks.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I think the Classic Series necks are available from FMIC for a reasonable price precisely because that model is discontinued. When they're sold off, there will be a void for a while, then eventually the Vintera replacement necks will appear and they'll cost more.

I wish I had the confidence John has, that FMIC has seen the light and will supply beaucoups fat necks and fat necked guitars for us to buy. But I suspect the Vintera will be for folks liking an intermediate size and those wanting the AO dimensions neck will have to lay down the big money.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Skydog1010, AxemanVR and heffus like this.
  4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I'm wondering if any of the new Vintera models use the new '51 U shaped 9.5" radius neck I just bought for a project. If so these are much thicker than the Classic 50s; I have two and the older 2008 one is thicker than the 2015 (lacquer) one, but neither no where near as thick as the '51.

So at least for Borris above, there is an option for a fat neck from Fender for a project (provided you're OK with 9.5" radius too of course).

5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm glad those pumpkin orange MIM lacquer necks will be gone, and if they sell these for 250 I'm down with it. From Wildwood, a Vintera 50s neck:

Neck Shape Early '50s "U"
    Neck Dimensions .940 1st - 1.000 12th

The Modified V neck is decent too, hope it's a real soft V because with no shoulder it will simply feel thin no matter what.

Neck Shape: Thick Soft V
    Neck Dimensions: .900 1st - .980 12th

6. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Im guessing the Vinteras are just old wine in new bottles

7. Kid Telecaster

Kid Telecaster TDPRI Member

Goodbye Leo, Hello CBS
    Have we ever seen this before
    Ain't this gonna be a mess?
    My 70's lament.

Nothing ever improved on what Leo's Fender ever built, really... c neck u neck whatever. He just built a guitar that you could throw around, replace the parts you needed, not something you had to worship, like some godam museum piece, justa piece of wood, body, neck, wound pickups. It worked. First time...

Ptrusk likes this.
  8. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

That sounds great. I might have to give the 50s a look. The 60s bigsby necks seem to be on the thin side. Even more so than the old Classic 60s.

9. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

As Brad Paisley said, "it's a cutting board with a neck."

10. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

Just realized the 50s teles are alder, not ash. Too bad.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I've seen a couple from reliable sources' images, that are nice and fat. However the published specifications are not good - I'm just assuming they're in error and we're OK.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  12. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I realise you don't know me, but I'm sure the specs are in error because it's a very fat neck. I must get a battery for my digital calipers and then I can measure it to confirm the actual size though and I'll post back in the '51 neck thread.

13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

All those 60s necks leave me cold. Thin and PF fingerboard? No thanks, besides I already have my Bigsby Teles with giant necks :)

14. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Bumping this back up - I wandered into GC last night for strings and found that they had a Vintera 50s Tele (in Fiesta Red) and a '60s Strat (in Ice Blue Metallic) so I spent a few minutes with each one.

The '50s Tele does indeed have a reasonably fat U-shaped neck. I hate U shaped necks, and the fatter they are the less I like them so it went back on the wall very quickly. I don't think it's as fat as the August 2012-2017 AV (or "Pure Vintage") '52 Tele neck or the AO '50s Tele neck, but it was pretty damned close. It seemed to be fatter than the prior (mid-1998 to mid-2012) AVRI '52 Tele neck.

The Vintera 60s Strat neck wasn't any fatter than the old Classic 60s Strat neck, but felt fuller, closer to say the SRV neck than the old Classic 60s/AVRI '62 neck. But not as fat as the AV '65/AO '60s neck. That one I'll probably go back and try again, but for Teles I'll wait for the '60s model. I also want to try both the 70s Strat and the 70s Tele Custom to see what they are like.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.