Now that I'm approaching 70, there's something I never worry about...

X-Ray

TDPRI Member
51685112385_07d7a605f7_b.jpg

Almost 69...
I leave my gear set up in our rehearsal space.
We don't play anywhere - three old codgers in their '60s who just jam one or two times a week.
In the '60s/'70's had stacks and roadies - now I can barely stand back up after tweaking my pedalboard.
Love playing more now more than ever - except when I was younger, lol

mmannaxx

Tele-Meister
I thought you were gonna say groupies... :)
I remember playinig a gig at a junior high when I was 14 or so and after the gig one of the other band members said "hey, this cute girl was asking about you and I told her you had a girlfriend!" I said are you nuts??? Why do you think I am playing in this band?o_O

glabbe

TDPRI Member
I turned 61 this year and I’m of the same mind as the op. I had been looking at getting a CS Brownface Princeton, but couldn’t justify the $2k price tag. I scratch built a 5F11 Vibrolux circuit (very close to the BF Princeton) and put it in a narrow panel Deluxe cab that I built with a 12” Jensen Tornado Classic (neo) speaker. Plenty loud and really light.

0801692F-AA96-4262-AA1C-B3A965E2E295.jpeg

I was reminded of the schlepping I did in my youth when we moved this past Spring. I had to handle my collection of amps (and a Leslie) a couple of times (into the moving van, to temp storage, then one more trip to a van, then home). 2 Super Reverbs, a Bassman 50, a Leslie Model 18, an Ampeg VT-40, and a Crate VC 5310. The last 4 in the list contain a lot off pressed wood. Yikes!

teeny

TDPRI Member
...running multiple amp setups. My days of stacks, piggybacks, multiple cabs, wet/dry and the ilk is over.

Combo amp, maybe a pedal, or the smallest pedalboard possible is all I want or need.

At 1:00 AM, everything weighs twice as much as it did 4 hours before. I'm not carrying anything I don't have to. For any reason.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
51685112385_07d7a605f7_b.jpg

Almost 69...
I leave my gear set up in our rehearsal space.
We don't play anywhere - three old codgers in their '60s who just jam one or two times a week.
In the '60s/'70's had stacks and roadies - now I can barely stand back up after tweaking my pedalboard.
Love playing more now more than ever - except when I was younger, lol

Great pic, cool rig!
Your pedalboards remind me of what someone once said about my playing, three decades ago.
I once had about 8 floor toys strewn across stage in front of me.
He said I played better with my feet than my hands.
I am in no way implying this is the case with you, BTW.
Every time I see a substantial pedalboard, his comment crosses my mind.
My friend Wyatt has a huge pedal rig, I call it “Mission Control”.
He has synths, multi-effectors and harmonizers on his.
Anyways, thanks for listening.
Is your Les Paul a 57 reissue?

teeny

TDPRI Member
This strikes a chord (sic) - big used to be best**, now light is lovely, problem as another guitarist said above, is getting courage up to dispose of amps I can barely lift; I love them all but trying to explain "they're vintage" doesn't seem to work any longer. ** I'm talking about amps here.....I'm hitting 70 soon and there's a sadness to realising that gigging is becoming hard - despite the fact that the audiences still keep coming - still i guess I'm lucky to still be playing anything at all.....Groupies ? Luv them all, provided they'll carry something......ah well, here's to all the great people I've met thru' music and been privileged to play with.

donnyrocker

TDPRI Member
...running multiple amp setups. My days of stacks, piggybacks, multiple cabs, wet/dry and the ilk is over.

Combo amp, maybe a pedal, or the smallest pedalboard possible is all I want or need.

At 1:00 AM, everything weighs twice as much as it did 4 hours before. I'm not carrying anything I don't have to. For any reason.

I turn 60 a week from today and I've been performing for 45 years. I'm listening ;)

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
To be blunt I just don't think any of that multiple amp, wet-dry whatever makes any difference in the real world.

Do what makes you happy.

But on the stages most people play it's not doing anything that anyone can hear. Including the player, IME.

Decent combo. Few pedals to make the sounds you need. Focus on the music and the vibe.

donnyrocker

TDPRI Member
Great pic, cool rig!
Your pedalboards remind me of what someone once said about my playing, three decades ago.
I once had about 8 floor toys strewn across stage in front of me.
He said I played better with my feet than my hands.
I am in no way implying this is the case with you, BTW.
Every time I see a substantial pedalboard, his comment crosses my mind.
My friend Wyatt has a huge pedal rig, I call it “Mission Control”.
He has synths, multi-effectors and harmonizers on his.
Anyways, thanks for listening.
Is your Les Paul a 57 reissue?

About 15 years ago I had maybe 13 pedals to cover the cover tunes. My brother came to a gig and told me at break that I looked like I was trying to put out fires...

Whitebeard

Tele-Meister
I will agree with everything you said, and even add a little. I'm wanting to lower the volume, not only with smaller amps, but also smaller, minimal drum kits, (or using a cajon or conga player) smaller PA's, (I recently bought a Fishman SA 330.....the little tower speaker/mixer on a stand) and would love to find an upright bass player. This doesn't mean play Muzak or Easy Listening stuff.....even the rockers will play unplugged-type arrangements, and "lower energy" doesn't necessarily mean "lower intensity". I think it's all good, but I'm starting to appreciate finesse and subtlety.
They still make towels and pillows that can also be used to muffle drums. :) Recently saw a video of the Beatles in the studio recording Hey Jude and Ringo had towels on his drums which is a practice/method I had forgotten about. I'm not a drummer.

Tim G

Tele-Meister
Since 1972 set up was guitar>cord>amp. Almost always a combo amp. '70s and '80s did a lot of 7-10 weddings then 10:30 to 1:30 bar jobs a couple of miles away. With only 30 minutes to tear down, move, then set up the entire band, we didn't have time to mess with pedals or stacks.

zeke54

Tele-Afflicted
I'll be 68 in 4 months , and I have a health issue looming , nothing immediate though . My concern is if I should start thinning the herd , I have a number of guitars and amps that I have collected since the 1970s and my wife knows nothing about what they really are worth . On the other hand , I'm playing the best I have in many years , even though it's just jamming with some good friends . I try to cycle through different guitars and amps but sometimes it seems like an endless road . It's the s**ts getting old !!

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
I hear you bro. My 95lb Mesa Boogie amp is a killer on my guitar and my back. Got a Bill M modded Blues Jr. with a Celestion Greenback to fall back on. My pedalboards are small and the pedals don't have 10 knobs on them.