Now that Dumble is RIP... I'm curious

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Happy to have a go at Dumble fixing it anyone's foolish enough to let me;)

Here, get out your Dremel:

domble-formica-board-jpg.389969

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My mate Phil, an old school valve tech, would check out the circuit without a schematic and find/repair problems... on any amp tube or SS...

My Dad was an amp tech and made his own amps and repaired appliances for friends... he'd have a look at one as well, if he was here...

bit hard to repair any gooped up circuits, though...

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
There is nothing so *special* in there that a good tech shouldn't be able to handle. The reason the goop is applied is because anyone could put the same parts together. There is no way to patent his design, so he would make it difficult to out and out copy what he did.

I would have no issues with having one on my bench. I would be more concerned with someone pilfering the thing while in my possession. hah.

My thoughts exactly. They are just modded Fender designs. However, the goop would be a PITA and I could see a tech turning it away if he didn't want to mess with it or charging a lot extra due to the goop and because he assumes you have money to burn since you have a Dumble.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I'm holding out for the Tone Master Dumble Overdrive Special.
Too bad Fender didn’t make an ODS.

Try a Roland Blues Cube with a Robben Ford Tone Capsule to get SS Dumble-like goodness (or pick the ODS emulation on a Spark 40 if you want Digital Dumble-like goodness)

Platefire

Friend of Leo's
Sorry about Mr. Dumble passing. Guess I've learning more about him than ever lately with all the posted videos and talk since he passed. He seemed to rub a lot of folks the wrong way the way he did things. As an amp builder myself I find it kind of a tall order to listen to a customers playing and then come up with a formula for an amp to compliment his playing. To take it on yourself to keep tweaking a circuit until a customer to satisfied takes some patience for sure. Normally a boutique builder puts out certain models and the customer accepts that. I can see how the custom made amp per customer including the analyzing their playing styles can amount to big bucks. I personally don't think I could ever have the patients to build a custom amp per customer, unless I was getting paid for all my extra effort. Platefire