1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Now It's Just Getting Stupid

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I've been keeping my eye out for a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe. A few examples have been popping up. One was a '59 that had nearly everything changed and the guy was asking $5,000. I mean, so much was swapped out that it really wasn't even close to being the same amp as an untouched 5E3.

Then, one came up that was all original and the seller has put a price of $6995 on it. My 60th birthday is coming up in June and I got a pretty good budget for something cool but I simply can't justify spending THAT much money on this amp.

https://reverb.com/item/39767276-vintage-original-1959-fender-deluxe-tweed-nice

But THEN... another one comes up. This one is in Belgium (that's a no go right from the start for me). This guy wants $8400 plus $500 shipping. Add in your tax and you're looking at well over $9000. Forget it. I'll bide my time and wait.

https://reverb.com/item/34395949-fender-5e3-deluxe-tweed-1959

Chick-N-Picker likes this.
  2. Torren61

3. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Those JC 120s are going from 400-650 down here. Every once in a while you see one for 800 and it sits there, but they do sell. Don't stay around long. I borrowed one from my nephew and I really wanted to keep it but he came along and snatched it back....waaaaaa

Torren61 likes this.
  4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Well if you want an antique, you got to pay antique prices! I agree stuff is getting crazy, I don't think I'm going to buy anything for a little while. But I think you can get one built for you a lot cheaper if you just want the amp and don't need an original.

Torren61 likes this.
  5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

That stuff is so far off my radar that I can’t even work up one hrumph but I can still sympathize in a very abstract way. ;)

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

That’s just ridiculous.

Torren61 likes this.
  7. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Asking prices for almost everything are out of control

There a 1200sq/ft 2/1 house on a .46 acre lot with no view, no pool, & no real amenities on the the market for $675,000 price tag about 2,000 feet from me. If this sells anywhere near the asking price then my house is worth close to a million. Total BS

Those prices for those amps are beyond me. I, personally, don’t need/want vintage so it’s not a market I’ll play in

Torren61 likes this.
  8. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like you need to look outside the Emerald Triangle. Depending on the buyer, I figure my beat up 55 Deluxe would get $2.5k-3.5k in the current market. That amp has its original output transformer with a modern power transformer(I blew the power transformer twice before going with a modern replacement a quarter century ago). Baffle has been replaced as has the speaker. I still have the original P12Q, but I prefer the sound and aggression of ceramic speakers so it has a Jensen C12N. I am not selling that amp as it has been bequeathed to my 21 year old nephew who has shown some aptitude on guitar. I figure something from the mid 20th Century would be a cool deathbed gift for a kid born into the prefab world of the 21st Century. I gave a him Sano amp last year that he plays all the time according to my sister.

The fact is not many guitar amps were produced during the 50's. The world was still recovering from a World War and the economy wasn't that solid. I believe there was a flu in 57 or 58 that caused a mini-depression that my dad grouses about in relation to today's events. Also rock & roll kind of petered out after early 59, so there wasn't as huge of a demand for electric guitars & amps for a few years. From collecting these contraptions for quite some time, the production of musical equipment shot up massively after February 9, 1964 when The Beatles appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show. You can find tons of 65-67 Fender amps whereas it's far harder to find the early brown/blonde tolex Fender amps from 60-63 because far less were made. If you really want an original 5E3 Deluxe, then you will have the piper. This lack of supply is exactly why there has been a 2-3 decades long cottage industry of companies that make kits or clones of the 5E3 Deluxe.

There might still be a deal or two out there if you look pretty hard though I would suggest looking for a Magnatone 213/214/413 amp or an early Ampeg Reverberocket if you want to stay towards something cheaper that was made around your birthday. Leo Fender definitely saw Magnatone amps as competition. The 213/214/413 amps are just killer sounding vintage amps with a pair of 6V6 tubes that can still be found for relatively cheap. In the past year I have seen at least 5 sell for less than a grand on eBay. Shops might get up to $2k for a mint 213/214/413. If you know the dozen or off brands that Magnatone made for, those can be found for cheap. My own DaVinci 314 cost $600 when I bought it 5 years ago. The Magnatone simply has one of the best vibrato circuits ever. They also have a great overdrive when pushed hard. An early Ampeg Reverberocket with 6V6 or 7591 power tubes can also be a killer amp.

Simple 214 demo. The 214 was a short lived version that has a tone switch at the input for mellow/normal/bright response. I think of the 413 & 214 to be very similar amps. The 213 doesn't have the tone switch.

Magnatone 213 overview by Chris Buck who just discovered the amp late last year

Torren61 likes this.
  9. Torren61

I have a ton of amps. I have been doing a walk through thing with Fender amps. I have a '79 Bassman 70, a '73 Champ, a '65 Princeton Reverb, a '62 Pro and a '53 Champ so I do have the Silverface, Blackface, Brownface and Tweed covered but a '58-'60 5E3 Tweed Deluxe, for me, would be a pretty cool thing. But $7000 for an amp is farther than I would be willing to go at this moment. I'm thinking I can wait it out until people start selling. Maybe I should look for a Blonde Bassman...

10. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Have you ever tried one of the DIFFERENT versions of the Gibson Falcon GA-19RVT? That's my favorite amp of all time

Torren61 likes this.
  11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

why not just build a 5e3? You could one together on a weekend with your skills.

everything I've made myself I have bonded with and feel like I'm inside the sound. sounds kind of 'woo' but I'm being straight up... there is nothing like playing something you made.

sax4blues likes this.
  12. Torren61

I have not.

13. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

I agree things are getting crazy. I am dealing with a similar situation trying to find a telecaster. If you would have told me a year or two ago that I could not find the tele model I'm after for $800, I would have would have thought that was crazy. But it is true. People are asking more than new prices...and sometimes way more than new prices. And they will not work with offers much at all. They will not even come down $75 or $100. I'm starting to think I will not find one and that's just the way it is meant to be. Sort of discouraging.

Torren61 likes this.
  14. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Collector items are purchased by people with collector wealth. This has nothing to do with utility value. GameStop investor has $31million, Dogecoin (whatever that is) up 9,000%, Roblox game creator 11 year old makes $50million. Do you think people are sweating over $7,000 purchase? My niece pays $7,000 month rent in San Francisco, those amps would be impulse purchase to her.

The answers are to make more money so you can be a collector of vintage status items, or be satisfied with a Fender 57 Custom Deluxe or similar because these amps give the musical result which was intended.

Torren61 likes this.
  15. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

Torren61 I have an all original MusicMan 210 Seventy Five combo that you can have. But you've got to come and pick it up in person.

16. Torren61

That's one set of answers.

17. TBOT

TBOT TDPRI Member

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I soured on owning iconic vintage amps when the prices got investor crazy.
    Bummer but the flip side is that when I sold my '57 Deluxe in 1990 for $500 to buy a clean '70 Super Lead for $700 and shortly a beat '67 Plexi 100 for $700, there were no repro amps available or repro parts to build them.

Now I would choose a Victoria build of whatever tweed I had a hankering for, or build it myself.
    Preferably pay a pro to solder, as hobby soldering isn't the fun it used to be.
    The remaining hours my hands have some strength and skills left in them, better playing music than soldering amps.
    Just what I find more joy and sense of purpose in.

I do get wanting the collector piece, but while i enjoyed them at sane prices, at these insane prices I look at them like a wife who cheated on me a few times. Just no joy in having them any more.

19. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.