Novice -

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Pagz65, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Pagz65

Pagz65 NEW MEMBER!

New to Fender as well as forum's. I own three guitars. A Peavey Nitro which I modified by adding another EMG hum-bucker, my first, 20+ yrs ago. I then purchased an Ibanez RG120 basket case from a pawn shop. At the time I still had no guitar knowledge, just loved the instrument, so I decided I was going to build my own. I stripped the painted gutted it out and started from scratch. When all was said and done I had no output. Frustrated, I took it to a local guitar shop, tech said I did a good job just wired everything backwards. From this point on I began progressing a bit with guitar theory. I recently purchased my first Telecaster, an American Special. I love the body style of the Tele, but still wanted a bit of the fat sound, which I'm getting. Still getting used to the jumbo frets and not having the cut away on the back side. I'm playing this thru a Peavey Triumph 60 amp, to me it sounds good, but what do I know. I'm a middle aged man taking lessons and determined to kick out some raunchy blues in time. Opinions welcome good or bad!

2. Merc460

Merc460 TDPRI Member

Welcome, I too am a novice player.

3. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Welcome to the forum !!

4. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Welcome aboard.

5. fenderix

fenderix Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the TDPRI!

Enjoy!

6. sethhere04

sethhere04 Tele-Meister

Welcome!

7. Blustele

Blustele Tele-Afflicted

Welcome!

8. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome! My number one advice is to keep an open mind to all genre's and try and learn to play as many different styles that you can. It will help you become a well rounded guitarists. I am a metal head that plays mostly classical and just start trying to learn some spanish guitar. You just never know what will inspire you to keep practicing and improving when you keep an open mind.

If you like your instructor and he/she is able to keep you motivated and keep you on your toes, keep going. Good instructors are worth their weight in gold and there are way more flakes out there then actual teachers. I drive 2 hours round trip every friday for a 30 minute lesson with my instructor. There are guys closer, but no where near as dedicated and experienced.

Don't be afraid to set down the guitar and walk away from it for a few days as well. There will be a time when practicing will become a chore or you will get frustrated because it seems like you are not progressing. Just walk away from it for a couple days and then take a fresh look at whatever you were working on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.