Notre Dame vs Alabama

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Colo Springs E, Dec 3, 2012.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The thing is, if this Title game is a bust, there's the one good match (Fiesta) besides it, and everything else is a Joke.

All the other bowl contests are irrelevant, lopsided, weird, you name it.

Not good. NHL Lockout still on, Roger the moron has ruined the NFL season; all in all a good year to go for an extended walkabout.

2. gatorfiend

gatorfiend Tele-Meister

Absolutely Boris. I say take the top 10-12 teams and have a tournanent. That's the top 10-12 regardless of conference. No offense to Northern Ill. but they don't belong. My team had the hardest schedule and we lost one game by 8 pts. with a chance to tie with 2:00 remaining. I feel like we should play someone better than #23 Louisville. We're #3 or #4 depending on which poll you like.
    Even the playoff will bite as it has conference obligations. Take the best and do a playoff. Give the old bowls to lower ranked teams.
    There's no perfect system, but a playoff sounds good.

3. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

Louisville lol. That's hilarious. Oh well at least I've still got the NBA. Go Heat!

4. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

I was just about to start a thread, yesterday, on the BCS vs BCS Bowl games this year.
    What the heck are some of these lineups?

Championship Bowl, with the number 1 ranked team against the number 2 ranked team, I get that one.
    Fiesta Bowl with the number 4 ranked Oregon up against the number 5 ranked Kansas State. That one looks good to me.
    Sugar Bowl, the number 3 ranked Florida up against the number 22 ranked Louisville??? Florida has won the Sugar Bowl 8 times, Louisville has never been in the bowl game. Until last week wasn't even a top 25 ranked team & hasn't even played a "ranked" team this year.
    Orange Bowl is number 12 ranked Florida State (only played against two ranked teams this year and lost one of those) goes up against number 15 ranked Northern Illinois, another team who wasn't even in the top 25 ranked teams all year till they beat the number 25 ranked Kent State last weekend(the only ranked team they've played against all year) and somehow they jumped to number 15 and made it into a BCS Bowl game???

So what am I missing on the Sugar Bowl and Orange Bowl? Did some rich guy in Florida hire a computer hacker to have the BCS "Computer Program" spit out a match up of the worst teams that could play against Florida teams?

Then the Rose Bowl with number 6 ranked Stanford up against un-ranked Wisconsin? I know they had to throw a Big Ten team in there, and all the ones with a winning record are ineligible for Bowl games this year. What a sad line-up for the Rose Bowl.

No OU, LSU, Georgia, Texas A&M, South Carolina (all top ten ranked teams) in any of the BCS vs BCS Bowl games.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  5. gatorfiend

gatorfiend Tele-Meister

I would have like to see us play Oregon. cowboytwang they have both us and Oregon as #4? Shows how squirley these rankings are.
    We had a better season than we thought we would and most of us wanted a quality bowl and opponent. No disrespect to UL or Coach Strong.

6. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

I think Florida went up to 3 this week, that was my mistake.

I would have liked to see a better team in there with you guys also. Louisville's quarterback has a sprang ankle and a broken wrist, but he does have about a month to heal. I just see a slaughter.
    Then in the Florida State game, Northern Illinois' coach left this week and doesn't plan to be part of the Bowl game.
    So now there are two BCS Bowl games that are so miss matched.

7. gatorfiend

gatorfiend Tele-Meister

Yeah I wanted to see us against somebody a little closer to us talent wise. Our Offense can be hard to watch, but I'd not trade our Defense and Special Teams with anyone in the country. The fans lose out in matchups like these.

8. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Time will tell, but Notre Dame deserves the spot in the championship more than anyone. They beat something like 8 bowl teams (including a BCS bowl-bound team) and they didn't lose a single game.

Alabama very well may win the game, we'll see... but no team deserves to be in the championship game more than Notre Dame based on RESUME.

I personally think it will be a very good game, I hope ND prevails.

9. Colo Springs E

Other than the championship game, ALL bowl games are irrelevant every year.

PLAYOFF.

10. gatorfiend

gatorfiend Tele-Meister

Not trying to be obnoxious but saying Notre Dame's resume is better than anyone else's is laughable.
    http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-12/sec/2012-florida-gators-football-schedule.php
    Where are the quality wins that make up this resume? Stanford and Oklahoma are the quality wins I see. I think a few SEC go undefeated with that schedule. Compare it with this:
    http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-12/sec/2012-florida-gators-football-schedule.php
    Don't think anyone goes undefeated with that schedule. I'm not saying my team should be there just pointing out the difference in opponent quality.

11. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Predicting how a team will play on some day like BCS CG day based on how they played some other day against some other team is a proven fallacy. Lackluster performances and gangbuster upsets occur in the same season by the same team. Humans are highly variable, and the performance of football teams is highly variable. Who would have watched Texas A&M play Florida and LSU and predict based on its performance in those losses that TAM would upset Bammer, have Manziel as the [arguably] leading Heisman candidate, and have the man that was voted coach of the year in the SEC? I sure as heck did not.

Notre Dame could still have its best game of the season ahead of it, and Bammer could still have its worst ahead of it. I'd bet on Bammer and the Sabanists to win, but I'm pulling for the Drunken Micks to beat Bammer.

12. Colo Springs E

Alabama's quality wins? TWO, lsu and ga. Wow, so impressive.

13. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I thought the BCS does take into account, strength of schedule along with how handily the team wins, etc.
    Just based on the SEC fan's theories there shouldn't be anyone else let into a BCS championship game! Give me a break- I hope Bama gets it kicked, bad...

14. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

Don't forget W Kentucky, Florida Atl and W Carolina...! :lol:

15. boris bubbanov

You already said that. Back a while.

Someone is basking in the glow of the 20th century. Serious football is just about everywhere you care to look in The Old South and in Florida. Scores and scores of kids, who aspire to Alabama, Florida and University of Georgia end up playing for a second echelon of sports teams, teams that are routinely better than the best college ball club in states that have not been cultivating football programs. The economic model in The South for this is clearly set and so far it is proving very lucrative. You may think all these programs are filler, and I used to think so. But lately, I don't think so. Sometimes the real filler is the teams of reputation from 40 years, 30 years ago that have atrophied away to nothing. The kind of tired old programs that ND is liable to be scheduled to play.

Maybe I don't know much. Or maybe I'm the only person on this board who has been to Cullowee, NC more than a half dozen times. Those kids are rabid, let me tell you. And the strongest station on my radio from The Cabin, High School Football is all they ever talk about. Half hearted, half as$ed football programs in these parts? I don't think so.

16. Maxwell Street

I think you guys are worried...if Bama loses, then what...?

17. boris bubbanov

If ND loses after such a light and airy schedule this season, they are the ones who should be ashamed.

Alabama has had a target on her, for decades basically, and it never ends. Texas A & M obviously saved their best bullets for The Tide. The U of A has to defend itself from full attack, all season long and by all rights, eventually they should break down. I suspect they won't. And you know, the same thing applies to many of the other teams in the SEC. They live under constant fire; they're really is no off season.

So if Notre Dame shows up fresh from a long season's nap and catches a worn down SEC "king of the hill", that doesn't to me prove anything. Wouldn't we all like to cherry pick our pivotal games for maximum appearance' sake. :)

I apologize if my defense of Alabama is imperfect. After all, I never enrolled there; I'm actually an alum of a team that got busted out of the SEC a while back. I'm not a fan per se, I'm just in the neighborhood so often, I've gotten to see how hard these guys work and how much talent is concentrated in this area.

18. Maxwell Street

If you listen to the national media, they state ND played a tough schedule...unbiased national media...no homers...

You guys not only drink the kool aid...you shower in it...! :rolleyes::p:lol:

19. JosephB

JosephB Tele-Afflicted

go to hell, Alabamer.

20. boris bubbanov

You have beaucoups and multiple professional Football, Baseball, Hockey and Basketball teams and are awash in sports news that has nothing to do with intercollegiate athletics, not to mention nothing to do with intercollegiate football.

You're just awash in something else. We're talking about the Deep South. You got College Football, Nascar, and organized religion, and then way way down below is everything else. If you're not sufficiently familiar with the culture down this way, it really shows. In my opinion, the only pro stick and ball or ball organizations with ANY penetration at all is the Braves.
    You could drive a loop around Atlanta, 75 miles, 120 miles, 160 miles around outside Atlanta and almost never see a single bumper sticker for any pro sports team, unless it is the car of a tourist. The Hawks? People have no idea what you're talking about. The Thrashers? You could ask 10,000 people in Alabama and South Carolina who "The Thrashers" are or were, and none of them could tell you. For real, the culture is just not that similar.

On Monday, I drove down through the back way (Rome) from The Cabin over to Attala where I pick up the Interstate to go to New Orleans. One car, or truck, after another, after another, after another and they all had U of A, U of G, Auburn, or Florida football stickers or plates on these cars. I'm basically talking about 20 cars in a row on GA 140 Westbound. This is what people do here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.