Notre Dame Burning...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by micpoc, Apr 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Only been in Paris once and was able to attend a couple of services as well as a Christmas concert at Notre Dame, unforgettable. This is a sad day in my family.

Chip, dan1952, Larmo63 and 3 others like this.
  2. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Image of the interior from Twitter. You can see that a section of the vaulted stone ceiling collapsed, but it's mostly intact. I'd want to get that shored up ASAP

ND.jpg

3. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

I seriously can't believe some of the blasé comments here.

Low class.

darkwaters, Bones, Tony474 and 8 others like this.
  4. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

So true, John.

5. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

One of the best musicians and improvisers I've ever known is one of the titular organists at N-D de Paris. He was shaken by the fire at St-Sulpice in Paris not long ago, and now this.

The organ loft at N-D is made of wood, as is the massive case. There are also multiple historic organs in the nave.

It looks from the photo of the nave posted above that perhaps the grand orgue (along with the two towers) may have been spared. Does anyone have information about this?

maxvintage likes this.
  6. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

As someone who was raised Roman Catholic, I have always felt that even our local church, St. Mary's, which was built in 1893, is a majestic and sacred place, a monument to man's faith and reverence. Having studied French from junior high through college, I have always felt a connection to France and its people. And the USA has been able to count on France as a true friend since even farther back than Lafayette. A truly tragic loss for all of us.

maxvintage, Torren61 and TheDams like this.
  7. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I heard the same, many artifacts as well.

8. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

I think it will be a bit of time to see what, and to what degree things are salvageable. This is a massive structure, and the fire was massive and obviously incredibly hot. And then there’s the smoke and water damage on top of that. Once it gets cool enough to get in and they can confirm the structure won’t collapse this will be a massive undertaking that I suspect will take experts from across the globe to assess and determine next steps and determine budgets, find qualified workers etc. I expect it will be at least a few days until we’ll get even a general sense of what is left unharmed. I think it will take some time to give the ok that the structure is sound. From the pic above some of the stone ceiling collapsed. They need to examine all of that before they let people poking around. We all want to know how much can be saved. But they need to make sure everyone can do so safely. I think that’ll take a bit of time.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Torren61 likes this.
  9. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

some old cell phone pics from the loft

Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 9.58.19 PM.png

those are budding organists there, about 12 years old

Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 9.58.41 PM.png

this was the view from the loft, looking toward the altar

Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 9.58.56 PM.png

looking up: these things are deafening, and it's fortunate for your hearing that those pipes crank out sound over and past you, into the nave, kind of like a giant wave

10. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

Prayers to Paris

I had to edit my post - prayers to humanity. We have all lost something very precious whether we realize it or not...words cannot express the grief I feel...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    preactor, Torren61, Chip and 3 others like this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've restored wood and stone buildings as well as wood and metal musical instruments.
    I'd guess that the organs might be very hard to duplicate.
    Could be wrong though.

Think of all the crafts people (plus apprentices learning) it's going to take to put this icon back together.
    Almost a sort of renaissance of seldom used arts returning to the fore.

Sorry if I seem glib or uncaring.
    I try to look for good that can come after tragedy, for the raising of the human spirit in a low time.

Very very sad for the many whose lives revolve around Notre Dame, particularly since many may not live to see it restored, as that is a long process.
    I certainly feel for their loss, I'm just in a personal era when hope is about all I've got and I'm not letting go of it.

Torren61 likes this.
  12. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

It took 200 years to build originally. Hopefully, modern technology will truly speed repairs and restoration.

13. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Some things just take time (and money)... the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona is still under construction 137 years after it began ;).

I suspect dollars will not be an issue for a Notre Dame restoration though... the money will flow from several directions (government, public, UNESCO, etc...) so you may be right.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Torren61 likes this.
  14. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Well, we have modern tools, but some of this may be techniques that are largely lost. The spire, that they were working on and may have been the source of the fire, was largely lead. It was quite intricate. I suspect if rebuilt, it will not be as intricate, although I could be wrong, but it will not be lead.
    I don’t think stonecutters in general are in great supply. Let alone ones who could recreate any gargoyles lost. The stained glass? On that scale? This will take more than just France I think.
    Technology will definitely speed up a lot of the rebuilding but some of the detail stuff may be no more available now than in centuries past. Just a guess.

Cheers,
    Geoff

15. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A Beautiful Work of Art Lost,,,, no words just very sad!!

16. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Relics
    Notre-Dame is home to relics from the Passion of Christ, described as a piece of the cross, a nail and the Holy Crown of Thorns.

The crown is said to have been rescued from the flames.

17. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

Mr. Clark comments on the cathedral at 3:30

18. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I visited in 1990. Places that have historical and cultural importance are touchstones that bind communities together. Notre Dame's importance extends well beyond France and this is a devastating loss. I'm sad.

Torren61 likes this.
  19. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

As has been stated above, like most of the big cathedrals Notre Dame has a stone vault beneath the wooden roof. According to news from this morning, a bit more than what is shown in this photo came down from the transept, but the vault has mostly resisted so far. The front towers with the bells have been preserved. The roof is mostly gone, as is the middle tower (which was a 19th century addition). It is presently unclear if the situation is stable now, as a lot of water and soaked wood exercise pressure onto the vault. I don't know about the stained glass rosettes, they surely must have suffered.

If what is left now remains standing there might be a chance for a reasonable reconstruction.

20. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.