1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nothing to do today. What should I do?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by yark14, Sep 29, 2012.

1. yark14

yark14 Friend of Leo's

Its 7:30 AM in Austin, Texas. I am wide awake after a great night of sleep. I aint got crap to do today or tomorrow. Austin is one of the funnest cities in the world with unlimited things to do.

However, its raining. It will be raining all day. Normally I would do something outdoors-ey, or explore Austin....but both are sort of a no-go.

I guess just watch football today? Any other ideas? Creativity is welcome :D

2. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Go looking at guitars and amps, try a few out. That's what I might do today.

3. ab2012

ab2012 Tele-Holic

Know that sounds like a good idea...

4. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

but it's raining

5. yark14

yark14 Friend of Leo's

Definitely might go guitar shopping. However, traffic slows to a halt 'round these parts when it rains, making commuting a pain in the butt.

6. kyle1167

kyle1167 Tele-Holic

Too bad you're not still in Iowa, you could stop by my place and replace the kitchen faucet my wife has been on me about.

7. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

See, I'm an inside oriented guy. So rainy days are extra special.

Right now I'm on call so can't go very far from my work computer.

Plans for today (as to whether I'll get to them is up in the air though):

1. Clean the house. About 30 to 60 minutes max.
    2. Investigate spam attack on my server. Looks like my forum has a vulnerability that let scumbag spammers use my server to send spam.
    3. Play Rocksmith. I'm a little behind on playing all the DLC.
    4. Get ready for game day next weekend. I have to read up on the adventure and be prepared for next Sunday.
    5. Mow the lawn (not raining here)
    6. Spread some fall lawn prep.
    7. I need to scrub the laundry room. My cat doesn't like to share catboxes. Now that my wife and her cat are gone, I can scrub the remaining piss off the floor and hopefully she'll continue to use her catbox (she's been good these past three weeks so yay!)
    8. My wife has found a condo to buy so I need to send a check for the deposit and sign a crapload of paperwork, scan, and email it to the realtor and loan guy.
    9. Mail the last three weeks of my wife's mail to her daughter.

There's a chance I'll have guests today (she may head up to South Dakota instead, nothing firm yet) so more Rocksmith and perhaps a motorcycle ride.

While this may not necessarily be relevant to you, it might spark some ideas :)

Carl

8. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Urban Golf.

9. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

write a song about being stuck inside

like, er

i'm stuck inside of Austin
    the boredom is exhaustin

10. yark14

yark14 Friend of Leo's

I have a better idea, how bout I write a song about you. ;)

11. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

maybe a limerick

12. Tred

Tred Tele-Afflicted

Well, nothing to really do this morning. Maybe, mow the yard when the temps come up a bit. Its a little chilly here, not condusive to shorts. LOL I am almost always in shorts.

I could help the wife do some house work? Play some guitar!

We do have a 50 year anniversary party to go to tonight. I guess there are about 300 people going? They are a delightful couple. He used to own a electral supply business, and she was a stay at home wife. He dabbles in old cars and show them at car shows now. She, is well preserved for a woman of 70-ish. Should be a fun night with the other 298 invited guests. We'll probably stay an hour.

Yep, that's the most I have on my calender for today.

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Get onto GFS and StewMac and start ordering parts for that guitar you need to build.

14. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

Look for women. They can think of fun things to do inside while it rains.

15. zooropamofo

zooropamofo Tele-Afflicted

Pick up yer Tele and write a hit song ;)

16. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

deep clean bathrooms and kitchen, have radio on and listen for songs that you have never heard and want to learn...

17. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

This depends on your relationship with music. As a academic composer whose job is to create music, that's basically what I do every day. Regardless of day of the week or holiday. My wife is a painter and same with her. For example, she is getting ready to go to her studio, which is basically what she does on days that aren't caught up in teaching and administrative work. I'll be moving some files around on my computer for a piece I am working on. Yesterday, I started getting some error messages in Pro Tools, which means I have too many files, not enough disk room, and related issues. Electronic music composers often call this kind of stuff house-keeping. It is not fun, but once everything is ship-shape, everything runs faster. (I have something like 30,000 files in my audio folder for the session). I also have to scrounge for mini to 1/4" cables for a performance on Sunday of seven of us triggering sounds on laptops. The cables one of the students bought were the wrong kind. It is a drag having to fix problems like that. Also, a flutist is going to submit one of my pieces for flute and electronics to a national flute festival. The postpart deadline is Monday. She came in last night to record, but I had to leave her in the hands of my students, as I keep getting a fever this week. I woke up wretching, but not bringing up much more than spit. Too much information, I know, but I am worried, as I don't have any other symptoms. Anyway, I'll have to go to the studio to get the recordings to bring home. Unfortunately, it is football game day and the congestion is pretty bad. I'll go later.

I mention all this really as an example of what people actually do on any given day if they want to advance and preserve their career in music and art. Other than waste time surfing (my form of avoidance), basically every day is the same as the last and next.

When I was younger, I did a lot more things with my friends and women that I was wooing. Priorities, right? Anyway, my vote is doing something that will advance your career, which will give you a leg up on your competition for jobs and resources. Sad, in a way, but joyful in another. I don't have anything approach displeasure in doing this kind of stuff. Here is a phrase I used to use, until my wife got sick of hearing it: high yield vs. low yield activities.

18. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

deep and clean are maybe my favourite words

songs i've never heard is sheer poetry

being a mere mortal myself, wondering what to do is a stab at immortality

19. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Start a meaningless thread on a forum.

Check it every few hours.

Investigate being Naked and Famous.

20. Tele Bee

Tele Bee Tele-Meister

Go to the Ransom Center on campus. It's free, indoors, you can see a Guttenburg Bible, the 1st photograph, it'll kill a few hours, and there is a great exhibit there now. C'mon , a little rain won't hurt you, and maybe you meet the love of your life. That won't happen boxed up in your house.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.