1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NOTHING Beats a CLEAN TELECASTER Tone.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by KrenarCilku, Jan 8, 2021.

1. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku Tele-Meister

Hey man, that's awesome! I follow the Studio Rats channel as well, he's a monster player and he can get amazing tones basically out of everything! I leave my Katana pretty clean on the clean channel and I just use a bit of reverb and everything else comes from my pedalboard Cheers!

2. Jackghost

Jackghost TDPRI Member

B03572C6-ADD3-496B-996B-1D0A00CDA7CE.jpeg Great playing and tone @KrenarCilku and @That Cal Webway. I have a 2019 Silver Affinity Telecaster that I bought for many reasons, the main one being the neck pickup though. A little history on my playing, for the 15 years prior to getting the tele every guitar I had was a single bridge humbucker and volume knob setup. I never found any neck pickup tones I liked, including soapbars, HB’s, strat style singles, etc. I had played Tele’s many times in stores and always loved the neck pickups in them, but never found a tele that played or felt right for me. When I found my affinity Tele in the local guitar shop everything felt right about it. Clean, blues, rock, punk, thrash, black and death metal, it can do it all.

I upgraded the pickups to a Fender Tex Mex set. They were great sounding (the bridge PU still is) until a month ago when the neck pickup became really quiet and thin sounding. I took it out and looked at it and the copper windings were coming up and two were split. I had to remove the cover and unwind the copper till I got past the breaks and then solder the ends of the copper to the leads and and put the cover back on. Still no dice.

Before I did “surgery” in it it was reading .256 k ohms. After rewinding it it was reading .106 k ohms, supposed to be 5-6 k ohms. Maybe it got de-gaussed? Anyhoo I put the squier neck PU back in but it was to weak in relation to the the Tex Mex bridge. On advice of others in many forums I bought a Wilkinson A5 Neck pickup. It’s better then the squier and the fender pickup. Has that throaty tele neck tone but has crystal clear note definition too. It is 6.4 k ohms so it pairs well with the 7.8 k ohm TM bridge PU. If anyone’s been wondering about Wilkinson PU’s mine has been great. Fender pickups I will probably not buy anymore since this is the second pickup I’ve had go bad from them. Both were TM tele neck PU’s so maybe a production issue with them? Wanted to get the Fender official PU’s but I guess I’ll look elsewhere. Still wondering if the TM bridge PU is gonna die too.

About the Boss Katana amps, I found the same result as you @KrenarCilku, cleans were beautiful, everything else was blah and off sounding to me. Ended up getting an HX Stomp instead. For an actual amp I use a Peavey teal stripe Blazer 158. Great blues and punk tones with the amp dirt button engaged. With the actual spring reverb on it the sound is surprisingly stellar. Loves the Tele Neck pickup.

Sorry for typing up a phone book guys haha, had a lot to share on the neck pickup subject.

TLDR; I hated all neck pickups til I bought my Affinity Telecaster. And watch out for Fender Tex Mex Tele PU’s.

Rock on and stay safe everyone!

Attached Files:

KrenarCilku likes this.
  3. Disco Biscuits

Disco Biscuits Tele-Meister

I'm already looking for CV Tele, but this thread has me more interested in the Katana now haha.

KrenarCilku and Jackghost like this.
  4. amazocon

amazocon TDPRI Member

I think that you and the guitar sound just fine.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  5. BelmontBluesMan

BelmontBluesMan TDPRI Member

Beautiful! Down the road I think you will wish you had held on to your Epi because I have found that I need both a single coul and a humbucker guitar, and of course at least one Acoustic. And of course your particular tastes will dictate your needs but having choices in guitars is a very good thing in my opinion. (Those Classic Vibes are great.) Best wishes!

KrenarCilku likes this.
  6. dreamsinger

dreamsinger TDPRI Member

It sounds excellent but at the same time the clip lends credence to the idea that 80% of your sound comes from your finger tips. Nice job!

KrenarCilku likes this.
  7. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku Tele-Meister

[/QUOTE[/QUOTE]tha
    thank you very much for sharing man! glad you found what works best for you! cheers and have a good one!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Jackghost likes this.
  8. jpervin

jpervin TDPRI Member

Oh yeah! That's some nice playing right there!

Thanks @KrenarCilku for sharing!

KrenarCilku likes this.
  9. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku Tele-Meister

Greetings man, well if you allow me, I can collaborate further on the Katana. First of all, it's a great utilitarian piece of equipment. It feels great under the fingers, especially on the clean channel. I use the Katana exclusively on the clean channel with a bit of reverb. Sidenote: Every reverb in the Katana sounds beautiful. With that being said, I find all the other channels useless compared to the clean channel. They tend to sound a bit artificial and definitely not my cup of tea but to summarize, the Katana is worth it just for the clean channel and the reverbs. I can also say that if you want to monitor any Amp Modelers such as the Helix, the Katana works amazingly as an FRFR solution. It's not really the same as an FRFR since it only has a 12 inch speaker but if you want your amp models to feel like amps in a room, you can't go wrong with plugging it in through the Katana as it also has an Analog Class A/B Powersection which helps immensely when it comes to the feel. The MK2 editions have a dedicated power amp input for modelers but if you can find a used MK1 Katana 50, you can plug your modeler straight in to the ACOUSTIC channel of the Katana, dime up all the EQ knobs and the results are gonna be identical as if you had an MK2 Katana with the dedicated input. But, and here comes a curve ball. If you have just a tad more money to spend, I would say go for the Boss Nextone Artist. Those amps have even more responsive, articulate and warm clean tones and the idea of being able to switch between different poweramp sections is just wonderful. (I've seen comparisons between the Nextone and Tube amps and I am not afraid to say that in most cases, I've chosen the tones from the Nextone Artist to be my favorite ones). Just to clarify, I am not in any way, shape or form affiliated with Boss/Roland but they really make amazing products. For example, If I had the means, I would grab myself a Boss Nextone Artist immediately. If you're budget can't reach that, trust me, you'll be more than fine with a Katana. Hope this is helpful. Cheers!

Rhyming Orange likes this.
  10. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku Tele-Meister

thank you so much man, much appreciated!

11. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku Tele-Meister

Thank you! I also have a PRS SE 245 that has a lot of sentimental value to me, so that covers all my humbucking needs lol. But I totally agree, both a single coil and humbucker equipped guitar are necessary to have. cheers man!

12. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku Tele-Meister

well that's a big compliment to live up to, I really appreciate! cheers!

13. MrJazzedBlues

MrJazzedBlues TDPRI Member

Great soulful playing. There's nothing like a clean tele sound. These Classic 50's are great guitars. Had one like yours which I sold two years ago and got me a japanese Fender Mongolian Chop Squad telecaster which is great (1969 copy).

Attached Files:

Jackghost and KrenarCilku like this.
  14. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku Tele-Meister

Thanks man! that looks very Robben Ford-ish, I dig it! cheers!

Jackghost and MrJazzedBlues like this.
  15. Jackghost

Jackghost TDPRI Member

@MrJazzedBlues Was “Full Moon Sway” the first thing you played on it?

16. puddin

puddin Tele-Afflicted

RichCuellarPDX and MrJazzedBlues like this.
  17. MrJazzedBlues

MrJazzedBlues TDPRI Member

Nope. I dont even watch manga movies :) I play in a coverband since 1995 and in bluesbands. I'm 66 now ;)

Jackghost likes this.
  18. TeleMonkey

TeleMonkey TDPRI Member

Great tone, great feel. Love that tele sound. I have single and humbucker CV teles in my lineup. Love both of them so much and you get way more than you pay for with the Squiers in my opinion.

Jackghost and KrenarCilku like this.
  19. Oxidao

Oxidao Tele-Meister

Well done my friend !
    Lovely classic bluesy jazz.

I absolutely agree on the beauty of that fender NECK single coil pickups, with the proper amount of punchy low fq's

In my mind, my heaven is kind of (e.g.) Hendrix playing clean a major scale on the neck.
    I Like that Strat, but Tele is best, for me.

Beside that, you've got cowboys, snakes and knives on the selector.

On mine, I get Humbucker connecting both p-ups in parallel via a push-pull sw on the volume pot.

I´m so in love

Thanks for sharing ✋

KrenarCilku and Seegz like this.
  20. Seegz

Seegz TDPRI Member

Absolutely Beautiful!!!

That tele tone sure is bliss to the ears! And you’re so right.
    All you need is a hint of reverb and I couldn’t hear the delay is was so subtle - but it was fantastic!

KrenarCilku likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.