'Nother plumbing question. Water heater.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, May 17, 2021.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've also contacted the company that made the water heater.
    I'm hoping they have the exact same one, so I can disconnect the old one and pop in the new one.
    But I think the thing is about 1200 clams.

getbent, Milspec and nojazzhere like this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You've already had some good replies, but I'll throw in my thoughts. I agree 100% that oil or natural gas cost FAR less to operate than electricity. Yours "could" be supplying your baseboard heat, but as a sealed system, it shouldn't contaminate your potable water. "On demand" water heaters are far less efficient and practical.
    Any friends in your new area that might have good plumbers that might rush your job? Good luck.

3. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't replace that with anything else different till you know the energy situation. Which is cheaper? That water heater is an exchange unit from what I can see. Probably more expensive than a regular water tank.

4. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

This topic bring up our infrastructure issues. Waters heaters and anything plumbing, any construction has gone through the roof. Texas was a big contributor with its mismanagement of power companies. SO many home flooded and water heaters burst open.

5. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Are you sure this heater is connected to the oil burner? Why I ask is I used to be in the heating business and when someone had a hard to heat area we would run a baseboard section from the water heater using a bronze circulating pump. This would cause your water heater to act as a small boiler. It could be that the old owner was just using this tank as a holding tank and heating the water with the boiler, but a hot water system is really designed to be closed system and not share with potable water.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Here's one I almost bought but ended up getting a different brand locally.
    The system you have can use a number of tank brands and the basics are the coil where your oil burner hot water runs, the domestic supply tank you drink and shower in, the pump on the oil burner zone or loop, and the thermostat/ controller that tells the oil burner to heat and circulate hot oil burner water that's the same as the forced hot water but a separate zone.

Changes will be where the inlets and outlets connect AFAIK.

I've bought the same brand and model and it was NOT the same.
    The one I just bought had recently been changed from all male to all female fittings on the tank so I have to go back tomorrow and swap all the fittings I bought.
    The rep at the supply place assumed wrong on those fittings.

This one is also all SS and a better price, but you need the controller/ thermostat for another $59.
    Plus shipping if you can't pick it up.
    Call and a rep will give you a discount code to get a little more off the price.
    The rep I talked to gave me code "Eric2", you could start an order and see what the price comes down to, IDK.

https://www.afsupply.com/htp-ssc-35-indirect-water-heater.html#

7. charlie chitlin

So...boiler in and boiler out...hot water runs through a coil inside.
    Then, on top, cold in and hot out to the house.
    How come why for mine only has 3 holes?
    The hot comes out on top.
    I have to get a better look at this thing.
    For the time being, it's 300 mi away.

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. telemnemonics

Hmmm, maybe a line comes out the back and you didn't see it?
    Can't tell from my house!

charlie chitlin likes this.
  9. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

if i was gonna try it, I'd want the same one and just take pics and hook it up just like it.

good luck man! you got it!

10. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

I
    I had a water heater that would dump water if we were away from the house for a few days. It would build a head of bubbles somehow, and then the relief valve would let most of the water out.
    We'd come home to a cold tank.
    This is a fairly common problem. I Googled it and got the explanation, which I can't exactly recall.

11. telemnemonics

Update on my same system tank I replaced today:
    In and out for the coil to the boiler plus a relief valve fitting, that’s one section.
    In and out for the domestic, cold in and hot out.
    All the fittings on the tank are clearly labeled, pretty simple install aside from having to reconfigure all the plumbing.
    Thermostat is two wires.
    All hooked up, turned on the boiler water valves, then turned on the domestic and opened a hot water faucet upstairs.
    Suddenly water is blasting out of the furnace!
    Turns out the Norwegian made SS tank had two fitting labels swapped, so domestic water hooked to boiler that’s limited to 30psi.
    The bottom two fittings are labeled for boiler coil send and return, but the coil actually connects to the middle and top fitting in the pic, while the bottom is domestic in.
    Murphy was right!

AFDFA6B6-BFF4-45CD-8811-519AABD8F0C5.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  12. charlie chitlin

Yikes!
    I would have assumed it was I who had screwed up.
    You using propane or map for the copper?

13. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Congrats on your new home!

A thought...did you get a one year home warranty with the purchase? Sometimes they throw them in the deal around here---and you call them---they come fix it for a service fee (mine is $75). I've replaced two water heaters (house has 2)...a package HVAC...and had the other furnace/AC repaired twice...plus a ceiling fan replacement and a dishwasher repair---$75 each call.

Edit: yeah...they're probably gonna cancel me:cool:

14. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

Ok...explain to me the loop to the boiler ?? I've never seen one...Is it like a pre-heat so the boiler gets already hot water and then just has to bring it up to temp ? Or is the hot water heater actually bringing the water to temp and then just using the boiler pump to circulate ?
    (sorry if I'm dragging this to far off topic....)

"Suddenly water is blasting out of the furnace!"
    Call it a safety check.... over pressure valve is working properly.:)

15. telemnemonics

Map but it's my coworker doing that stuff as he's way better with plumbing and I would not have tackled this on my own.
    Our boss literally never pulls permits for gut rehabs and saves money by paying the fines every few years when he gets caught, so my coworker Rob does all phases of new installs except maybe boilers and the plumbing & heating specialties.
    So this is a bit out of his league too but the times are freaking weird.
    I'm more carpenter woodworker with a bit of plumbing and electrical, I know when stuff is beyond me, or get scared, hard to say what exactly happens when a man knows his limitations!

We really should have caught the mislabeling, and kept wondering why the from boiler was 3/4' while the to boiler was 1" and the cold water supply was also 1".
    That and the even more obvious being that cold supply/ tank drain was high up on the tank rather than at the bottom.

Had we looked through the manual rather than going by the labels we would have been fine.

Dang!

16. telemnemonics

So this system has the boiler for the forced hot water house heating system as the ONLY heat source that heats both the water for showers and for house heat.
    Boiler sends loops of hot water here and there, one going to the shower hot water tank where it heats the domestic hot water, but the boiler water is in a coil so it never mixes with the domestic shower water.

The tank has no gas or electric heat source, just the coil of circulating boiler water.
    A good "indirect water heater" tank should last decades when gas or electric water heaters have much shorter life spans.
    This new tank is all stainless steel and has a lifetime warranty.
    We will see how that goes!

glenlivet likes this.
  17. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Domestic solar hot water systems work two ways, the water that comes out the tap has been through your collector<(9better for non-freeze areas). But, then, the freeze areas use a closed system much like this boilers. The closed system picks up the heat from the collector and then, goes down into the water heater and ,exchanges the energy to the water system,(all in the tank). Big efficiency loss, but it works.

18. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

Got it...makes sense.
    Seems maybe a bit of a waste in the summer months..firing up the boiler for a hot shower, but I guess if it's a closed system and limited to just that loop, and is high enough efficiency, the math could work out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.