Notes on Two Oyster Cult, last night

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Frank'n'censed, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

It was 11 years since we last met, this being my 11th Blue Oyster Cult show, dating back 42 summers. First of all, it was free, a gorgeous evening & a beach front setting! Having not frequented this venue, I had no idea you could see over the fence, on the oceanside of the park. The boys started with a curious selection, Dr. Music, from an average album, Mirrors. The sound man didn’t help things, with a weak volume level & bad mix. Both Eric Bloom & Buck Dharma’s, (BD smoothed off the edges, into the performance), have diminished over the years. Being a long time fan, I was disappointed in their song selection, admittedly favouring their first three records, prior to Reaper madness. They covered everything from their self titled debut album, to ‘97’s, Heaven Forbid. My biggest gripe was not hearing one song from Tyranny & Mutation, both their second & my personal favourite release...nonetheless, it was no Death Valley Night.

Last evenings set, (in random order);

*Then Came The Last Days Of May * Cities On Flame With Rock And Roll * ME 262 * Career Of Evil * Don't Fear The Reaper * Tattoo Vampire * E.T.I. (Extra Terrestrial Intelligence) * Godzilla * Golden Age Of Leather * Dr. Music * The Vigil * Burnin’ For You * Harvest Moon

2. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

That kinda looks similar to the set I saw them do (twice) circa 93-94 or so. As I recall, the second time I saw them was the same night OJ Simspon went on the white Bronco chase. As I recall, when I saw them they opened with Stairway To The Stars/Dr. Music, and did most of the songs you list above, including Harvest Moon (which I gather they played live for quite a few years before it was released on Heaven Forbid). As I recall, the encore both times was Golden Age Of Leather/The Red And The Black.

3. Frank'n'censed

The Red And The Black was probably the tune I most wanted to hear...supposedly, it was written in Johnny Winter’s, Lower Eastside flat, which Patti Smith was watching while he was away. PS was seeing the late Allen Lanier, during that period. They covered her song, Career of Evil, last night.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  4. Frank'n'censed

I was referring to both Buck & Eric’s vocals. The set list is chronoligical order, (release date), rather than random

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm a big BOC fan. As goofy as they can be, somehow the tunes endure, for me

Frank'n'censed and thunderbyrd like this.
  6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I achieved my 1st herbal liftoff while watching BOC play, in December of '73. so i'll always have special love for them.

7. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

Well, I'm not sure I'd callCareer Of Evil a cover, as such. Yes, Patti wrote the lyrics, but I think it was recorded originally by BOC. They had quite a few songs that she wrote words for, I guess taking some of her poems and setting them to music. I'm not even sure the Patti Smith Group even existed yet at that point.

BTW, I read an interview once with Buck where he was asked about the song Shooting Shark (one of my favorites, btw), specifically how he ended up collaborating with Patti again after so many years. He said it wasn't quite like that. What happened was, he was going through some old papers, and found a few pages of her poetry that had fallen into his hands, and they hadn't used them before, so he wrote Shooting Shark around one of the poems. I always liked the bit in the first verse that goes "He said 'you do need help my friend'/And I whispered...'Obviously'". Always thought that was a great couplet.

8. Frank'n'censed

What I dig about BOC...their tongue & cheek humour, including the almost moc-metal, Buck’s great guitar work & melodic sensibility, the funky, cryptic content of their earlier, Black & White period & being a fan of horror/occult/sci-fi, they’re a unique institution for myself.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.