Notes on Conversion Necks

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Okieactor, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

I recently did a conversion conversion project. That's a tele that started life as a regular Mexican, but then got converted a piece at a time, and where the new neck was a conversion neck (Gibson scale). I had a few hiccups along the way, and thought I would capture them here, for others who could be doing the same. And maybe others can share their experience too.

My experience, YMMV, as they say.
    STARTED WITH:99/2000 Mim tele, all stock

CURRENTLY:
    Mim body and small hardware
    Locking fender vintage/modern tuners
    Warmoth roasted maple neck, stainless jumbos, C contour, modern construction, conical radius, tusq nut, dry.
    Dimarzio true velvets.
    Electro socket
    .01 orange drop cap, 250k pots

Future: possibly a white body, mmmmaybe go back to area hot T in bridge.

SURPRISES/Things to know.
    --You may need longer saddle screws, I did.
    --If your guitar is older, you may also need new saddle tension screws because you will have to let your intonation out some, and your screws get compressed over time.
    -I had a very minimal "non-tele" changes in tone. For me, it was well worth it, because I like shorter scales much better. I think most people could not spot it in a recording, unless it was A/B'd, with all else the same.
    --If switching out other stuff along with the neck (I was messing with pickups and tone cap), buy a bunch of e and b strings, my locking tuners and the bridge popped 2 or 3 throughout the process.
    --Frets and nut will probably not be perfect, even on a good neck (I love Warmoth, but nut slots were high).
    --In general, I like the truss rod side adjust on Warmoth modern necks, but find so far that the heel adjust seems to be a coarse adjust, and needs to be set pretty close to correct, or you'll have trouble doing it with the side adjust alone?

--Lastly, would I do it again? Absolutely. Are things perfect? Not yet, but I'm not done fine tuning.

2. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

1543164312507.jpg
    Before, During, After
    1543164376773.jpg 1543164404053.jpg

3. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

1543164910439.jpg

ianstrike and ScribbleSomething like this.
  4. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

I put a similar neck (Warmoth Gibson-scale, maple/rosewood, side adjust) on a GFS XGP poplar body (strange bedfellows) and am happy with the results - now...

P1020229a.JPG

But I had to plug & redrill the bridge mounting holes to get it to line up with the neck, then got out the router to enlarge the pickup & control cavities which were too small. While at it I enlarged the neck pickup hole to accept a minibucker or P90. The mini in there now is a 60's Epiphone, the bridge p'up is a Twang King. They sound great individually but make an odd match. When I rewire it for a 4-way I might add concentric pots for volume & tone on each pickup as well as different tone caps & treble bleeds for each.

bender66 likes this.
  5. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

Warmoth's necks aren't sold as fully dressed, although they're generally pretty usable out of the box. They tell you this on the website. I use both of mine as-is but if I was to go pro again I'd take them to the shop for some dress-up.

Read the instructions that come with the neck. The side adjust is just for fine tweaks and remember to loosen the strings before using it or it could strip.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I had several conversion necks. I dont like the way the low E sounds, especially fretted low. Just kind of woody toneless and short sustain. Kinda sounded like not quite right on pitch, probably just me. Other than that not bad. But you are right, no one in the crowd will ever know!
    I disliked the side adjust, mine kept loosening up. Not only that the neck was readily felt as heavier when handling two unattached necks during changeout. Surprised me. Seems like a problem looking for a solution. WTH is wrong with truss adjust at the headstock? Nothing easier.
    Warmoth makes nice necks but why they continue to promote the side adjust and compound radius is a wonder to me. You pay more for "normal" features.

7. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

So, update, I got it Plek'd on a credit card. It plays incredibly now. I love it. It went from a guitar that was not really getting played, to something that I've only gone to it for the past week, leaving the SG and PRS 245 SE in cases. Probably won't stay that way forever, but I'm really excited about this guitar now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.